Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

JH Steep and Deep

So I signed up for their famous course and now I'm nervous. I'm pretty good but could always use improvement but I'm not about testosterone-poisoned, crazy shit. And I couldn't care less about Corbet's bragging rights. Anybody got beta? Now I'm worried about getting my ass kicked.
    [reference: I routinely ski everything at AltBird that doesn't require mandatory air.]

You're gonna die!

Don't worry, you're a paying customer. It's poor form to have the clients die and not be able to come back next year and sign up for another installment.

Pro Tip:

Don't ever psych yourself out on Corbet's before looking at it. The goat path is a little different every year, and sometimes (ie last year) it's a lot friendlier than normal.

Don't sweat it. It's just another ski sesh with like minded peoples. It's about making you a better skier, not scaring you. That's easy.
    The instructors are usually some of the older, cooler ones. Loads of new DSM Dinks in the JHSS this year.
    Give a heads up when your here and maybe connect with some locs for JH shenans. Be happy to roll around witcha.

meh .... Chicks drop Corbets on mountain bikes all the time now , you got this.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Sent a PM.
    Hit or miss.
    Go to Gordies camp
    Fuck Matt...

I survived two visits and going back for third.
    You’ll live.

All of the above - you'll be fine. Some cool instructors and it can be hit or miss, depending on the group. Just be clear about what you want since some folks are there just for bragging rights and not really interested in making improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    All of the above - you'll be fine. Some cool instructors and it can be hit or miss, depending on the group. Just be clear about what you want since some folks are there just for bragging rights and not really interested in making improvements.
    People brag about getting ski lessons? Rich people are so weird.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    People brag about getting ski lessons? Rich people are so weird.
    I know, right?

Great info, thanks to all! Now I'm 1000% psyched, gonna shred.

Quote Originally Posted by raueda1 View Post
    Great info, thanks to all! Now I'm 1000% psyched, gonna shred.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/video/s...nity-is-stoked
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Sent a PM.
    Hit or miss.
    Go to Gordies camp
    Fuck Matt...

Is Gordie still doing the straight line camps? Website is still up but under the calendar the latest dates are in 2016. I know about then he was saying he was going to stop doing them.

TONS sign up for steep and deep. So many they separate out the several groups by skill and comfort level after a ski off. If you don't want to send corbets, you won't be in that group. It really depends. You could be placed in the group that matches your skill level and have a good time, or in the one with a bunch of dweebs that can't ski. Roll the dice...

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Is Gordie still doing the straight line camps? Website is still up but under the calendar the latest dates are in 2016. I know about then he was saying he was going to stop doing them.
    Sadly he is not.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    The last note from him was 2015/2016 ski season stating that would be his last year and I know there was no camp last year. I learned a shit ton and had a blast when I went, but on more than one occasion I skied stuff that def made me pucker. You will def get pushed and their job is to get you outside of your comfort zone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

I kept saying "next year" and I missed it entirely...

Did a couple of JH camps. Unless things changed in the past few years (the price for sure did) you’ll have a good time.

Instructors are very good, seems to be very competitive for them to be allowed to do camps. One year we had Theo Miners (RIP) take us out the gates. Dude was intense.

They did a good job at ski off, it’s their job. Minimal group changes after that.

You’ll ski hard. Better be in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Carpet View Post
    Better be in shape.
    That would be my biggest concern at one of those camps. If you want to get the most out of it you need to be able at your peak all day. Start getting sloppy due to fatigue and your rate of gain will plummet.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I kept saying "next year" and I missed it entirely...
    You and me both...

Which one you signed up for?
    my other half is coaching at the Jan 9-12 camp
    Usually seems like a good time is had by all
    but yea maybe start doing more squats!!
    skid luxury

Thoughts and prayers.

At least you'll die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Thoughts and prayers.

At least you'll die doing what you love.
    That made me laugh...

And like I said I did not do JH Camp (Will though as it is on the bucket list), did Gordys and we skied our asses off... I consider myself in really good shape and was whooped everyday... On our second day we had Marcus Caston for the afternoon session and his bright idea was to lap the Snowbird Tram 4 times and ski under it for all to see to finish the day off...

Regardless, what an absolute thrill to get to ski with someone like Andrew... Well worth the price of admission...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Could someone who has been to both Jackson and Breck tell me how Corbets compares to the lake chutes in terms of pucker factor.

I am trying to ascertain how good / bad a skier I would be considered by tgr standards