Thread: Holiday Baking!

Holiday Baking!

What chu got? Any family traditions that it's just not Christmas if you don't have them?

For over 100 years the woman in my family have made Fattigman on Christmas eve. It's a sort of doughnut usually flavored with Anise or Cardamon but we use Nutmeg and instead of fruit juice that some recipes call for we substitute rum. My great-grandmother got the recipe from the Scandinavians that homesteaded The Hi-line in Montana where they lived. I make them because my family expects and loves them but they are not my favorite. I'm more a Stollen and Rugelach person and of course I always love cookies!

This recipe and a lot I found online call for Cardamon. I willing to bet that, along with Anise, might have been hard to find in the wilds of Montana in 1905 which may be why our recipe calls for Nutmeg. If anyone wants my recipe let me know and I'll post it but it's basically the same. Oh... and I just use a knife to cut the strips. Don't need that special crinkly roller thing.

Fattigman:

Stollen:

Chocolate Blossoms:

Ruglach:

Taralluci Cookies (lemon):

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

splat to the courtesy phone.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I am hungry already.

My folks make a few things, Rum cake, pecan cups, peanut butter cookies with a hersey kiss on top.

I am only an occasional baker if I find a box of something at Milfco I can handle.
    watch out for snakes

Darn, now i'm craving some junk. What is in the center of that stollen?

My wife will be making about 60 dozen cookies next weekend and i usually do a quality check on each batch. I will be going up to Vermont for the weekend and told here I want them out of the house when i return. No willpower.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Darn, now i'm craving some junk. What is in the center of that stollen?

My wife will be making about 60 dozen cookies next weekend and i usually do a quality check on each batch. I will be going up to Vermont for the weekend and told here I want them out of the house when i return. No willpower.
    That is Marzipan in the Stollen! Yum! Mine never turns out that cylindrical but it's still yummy.

Don't you know calories don't count at Christmas? Nobody likes a skinny Santa!

BTW - the Ruglach is amazing and actually quite easy to make.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Marzipan is an evil trick. When I was a kid they would come in shapes like oranges, strawberries, etc. Didn't taste like that though. Almond paste...ewwww..evil trick on a kid...sheesh.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I had a few cups of hot chocolate last week. Ice cream, too. Today it was cinammon struessel coffee cake and shortbread cookies. Pretty sure I'm turning into Santa Clause.

Chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies with the Kiss, an apple cake, and pies. Lots and lots of pies. Lemon meringue, apple, pumpkin, key lime, and pecan. Those are every year.

I’m grateful this time of year for my Mom and her endless baking. For a five foot nothing tiny thing she punches way above her class when it comes to Christmas baking.

The usual items:

Poppyseed rolls (the grinder to grind the poppyseed was this old unit at a Hungarian grocer that went out of business decades ago and apparently is sought after each Christmas season by many ladies so it’s sent on tour starting every thanksgiving)

Koloczki cookies (raspberry and apricot)

7 layer cookies

Wreath cookies

Thumbprints

German spritz cookies

Stollen

Madelines

Gingerbread

Gingerbread houses

Shit, I’m hungry for it now just thinking about it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Holiday Baking!

Nothing special, but I made 19 dozen chocolate chip cookies this weekend (that’s two double batches of toll house recipe).

Not baking, but holiday related... my 4th and 5th batches of eggnog. That gets me to 3 gallons of eggnog in the fridge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5291.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	218576
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

These are the best! And what's more, they have no butter, and are gluten-free:

Amaretti Cookies Recipe
    Yield: Makes about 30 cookies.
    Ingredients
    * 2 1/2 cups of almond flour -or- 3 cups of blanched slivered almonds, finely ground up
    * 1 1/4 cup of baker's sugar (superfine sugar)
    * 1 1/4 cup of baker's sugar (superfine sugar)
    * 3 egg whites
    * 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    * 1 teaspoon of almond extract
    * a dash of salt
    * Extra sugar for dusting

Method
    1. Preheat oven to 300 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
    2. In a food processor mill together the almond flour and sugar. Add the vanilla and almond extract and pulse for a few seconds. Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue to process until the dough is smooth.
    3. Place teaspoons of the dough on the parchment paper and dust with sugar. Bake for 24-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before serving. They will be slightly chewy at first, but they will be nicely crispy as a day or two goes by. Store in a cool, dry place. (Note: I usually underbake mine since I like them chewy. If that's your preference, bake them for about 20-24 minutes.)
    Name:  amaretti.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  11.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Nothing special, but I made 19 dozen chocolate chip cookies this weekend (that’s two double batches of toll house recipe).

Not baking, but holiday related... my 4th and 5th batches of eggnog. That gets me to 3 gallons of eggnog in the fridge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5291.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	218576
    Jackpot.

Quote Originally Posted by isisis View Post
    These are the best! And what's more, they have no butter, and are gluten-free:

No butter?!!! Julia Child is spinning in her grave! Mmmmmmmmmmm butter! Love me some butter!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    so what do I need to do to get a
    batch of your cookies to 18BBI?
    When is it?

I made colored sugar cookies and peanut blossoms( with Hershey's Kisses) last weekend with my daughter.
    This weekend we made Italian Brown Cookies from my Grandmother's recipe- lots of cinnamon, allspice, and cocoa in them.
    I also made a Martha Stewart recipe- Gooey Everything Cookies, or something like that. Basically, it is an oat and confectioner sugar crust topped with dried tart cherries, semi sweet chocolate, toasted walnuts, condensed milk (nectar of the gods), and coconut. They are amazing.

Assuming I don't eat them all, we will package them up and give them out to friends and family so they can curse us later.

x2
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...1-3-The-A-Team

so what do I need to do to get a
    batch of your cookies to 18BBI?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF585B31-62E4-4713-8799-CF9465448AC4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	729.6 KB 
ID:	218597
    She bakes, I decorate.

Check out the gingerbread chainsaws bottom right.

Holiday Baking!!!!

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Good thing those chainsaws are kept far away from those gingerbread men.

They look shifty.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Good thing those chainsaws are kept far away from those gingerbread men.

They look shifty.
    LOL!! I was wondering what those were! Homicide for the Holidays?

Feb 1-3
    Noted!

We have peppermint meringues at my house right now, which are amazing, plus wreath cookies, fudge, and tons of homemade ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    LOL @ the blue woman!

This thread is evil. Should have NSFWL in title.