Salomon Mtn Lab boots

If you own them did you size down for a performance fit?

Thx

FWIW I usually wear 26 or 27 in ski boots, the Mtn Lab was a 26 for me. That said, these are touring boots, so a performance fit is going to feel like shit after a long day of touring.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post

Thx
    I'm sz 27 dynafit Scarpa. But a sz 26 Salomon Atomic Dalbello Tecnica It was a touring fit not a performance fit. More along the lines of how the shells are sized

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I have come to the realization that I don’t worry about mondo sizes any more. I look at boot sole length. I wear a 25.5 or 295ish alpine boot & a 26.5 Vulcan which is 294 bsl.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

Thx
    yes. performance fit in my dynafits is 28/28.5, and a 27.5 in the soli.

Thanks, by measurement I wear a 25.5 but for alpine I’m in a 24.5 Lange . Unfortunately I don’t get to try on a 24.5 salomon because no one has them

Thanks, by measurement I wear a 25.5 but for alpine I’m in a 24.5 Lange . Unfortunately I don’t get to try on a 24.5 salomon because no one has them
    Which lange? How much room do you have in a shell fit? Lots of different Langes.

I'm in some 27 MTN Labs. Other boots I've worn / wear:

Lange RX130 LV, 27.5 (little over 1 finger)
    Tecnica Cochise (2nd gen), 26.5 (little less than 1 finger)
    Dynafit TLT5, 28.5 (1.5 fingers, touring fit.)

By a Brannock device measurement, sale clerk bozos have always recommended a 28.5. Which is way too big.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    FWIW I usually wear 26 or 27 in ski boots, the Mtn Lab was a 26 for me. That said, these are touring boots, so a performance fit is going to feel like shit after a long day of touring.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'm in some 27 MTN Labs. Other boots I've worn / wear:

Lange RX130 LV, 27.5 (little over 1 finger)
    Tecnica Cochise (2nd gen), 26.5 (little less than 1 finger)
    Dynafit TLT5, 28.5 (1.5 fingers, touring fit.)

By a Brannock device measurement, sale clerk bozos have always recommended a 28.5. Which is way too big.
    Similar experience. I measure 27.6 on a Brannock, normally wear 26.5 in alpine boots (Lange RS130, Tecnica Mach 1 130 LV, Lange XT 130 Freetour, Tecnica Zero G Guide Pro). I am happy with the 26.5 MTN Lab.

I also went to 27.5 in the TLT5 and first gen TLT6, as well as the Arc'teryx Procline.

PS Perhaps the best reason to go smaller in the MTN Lab isn't necessarily to make it ski like your alpine boot, but so the already roomy ankle and heel don't get any wider.

I have Lange banshee pro with powerwrap liners. Gregl how do you feel about the mtn lab vs frestour? These boots will be primarily for hot laps around the resort not long tours. I want the free tours but the don’t seem to exist in a 24.5

MTN Lab fit me the same as most alpine boots. 28.5 seemed true to size from my experience. I'm now in a 27.5 Cochise 130 and it feels maybe half a size smaller than the 28.5 MTN Lab.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    PS Perhaps the best reason to go smaller in the MTN Lab isn't necessarily to make it ski like your alpine boot, but so the already roomy ankle and heel don't get any wider.
    Agreed; if you have narrow feet/ankles the MTN Labs are going to feel huge with the stock liners. Pro Tour MVs with an Achilles wrap pad fixed the fit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    how many boots do you own?

I measure 28.5.
    Resort boot is 27.5 Dalbello Krypton, fits very tight.
    MTN Lab I went for 27.5, offers enough room for comfy touring. No blisters when used for 5 day hut trip right out of the box.

I have Lange banshee pro with powerwrap liners. Gregl how do you feel about the mtn lab vs frestour? These boots will be primarily for hot laps around the resort not long tours. I want the free tours but the don’t seem to exist in a 24.5
    I consider the MTN Lab more of a pure touring boot that skis exceptionally well. I consider the XT 130 Freetour a very good all mountain ski boot that tours OK. I have a bunch of days on both.

Lange makes a 24.5 Freetour, but very few retailers buy it.

I consider the MTN Lab more of a pure touring boot that skis exceptionally well. I consider the XT 130 Freetour a very good all mountain ski boot that tours OK. I have a bunch of days on both.

Lange makes a 24.5 Freetour, but very few retailers buy it.
    Black Diamond Factors: 28.5
    Scarpa Maestrale: 28
    2016 Mountain Labs': 27.5 and they fit like the others did for me
    I measure 28

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Black Diamond Factors: 28.5
    Scarpa Maestrale: 28
    2016 Mountain Labs': 27.5 and they fit like the others did for me
    I measure 28
    A 28.0 Maestrale is the same as a 27.5 Maestrale. I would guess you need to wear two pairs of socks to get the same fit in the 28.5 BD Factor.

Salomon Mtn Lab boots

I measure 275mm on brannock. I wear a 26 alpine and 27 in mtn explore.

My alpines are a one finger fit. The mtn explores seem to measure similarly length-wise to any other 27/27.5 and gives me about a 2 finger fit (if getting technical probably between 20 and 25mm behind my heel) and I use a protour HV liner (due to my narrow everything foot) in the mtn explores.

If not for long tours, as you say, I'd suggest same length as your alpines. I too was torn and went for comfort and warmth. A one finger fit in a touring boot I just could not do but I'd love to try a 26 after reading this thread.

And edit to add: when sizing my pro tour liners I took my shells and liners with me to Intuition. The 28 pro tour measures pretty much identically end to end externally as the stock 27.5 Sally liner and seemed to offer similar toe room so I opted for the 28 pro tour liner over the shorter 27.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

My foot measures ~28 x 103.

Solid fit in 26.5 MTN lab, toe just barely touches. I added the included shim under a set of Lange XT 130 insoles which are a hell of a lot nicer than the stockers.

No punches, I can tour this thing all day. If I try to tour it the next day, very hard/hurty initially, but feels nice after a little bit.

I have skied a 28.5 Full Tilt with foam packed everywhere it could go, too big. I tried on a 27.5 Full tilt and would say that it's closer to the MTN lab at 26.5.

I have a skinny ankle and heel compared to my forefoot, and have struggled to fit boots because of it. Narrow boots are the only ones that work for me, and the MTN LAB really works. My foot compresses nicely from the sides and I think it helps fill out this boot's large instep.

You measure 280mm and you're in a mtn lab 26.5 with no shell work? Mercy. Sounds great.

And yes, a 28.5 FT should be a sloppy 2+ finger fit for length if you are indeed 280mm measured.

I'm surprised you can get away with the 26.5 for a full day of touring without at least a bit of toe length punched out.

I found when shell fit for length the FT and the Sally in same size appear pretty similar in terms of gap behind my heel. Maybe a mm or 2 more in the salomon.

In reality Im probably a touch under 280, despite what the last bootfitter told me. Last couple shops I have tried have really pushed for the 2+ finger fit. I have a little under one finger in this Salomon. Big toe fits, but the little ones get pushed over pretty hard.

^^ this.

I've only got a few hours touring in mine thus far but I'm convinced if doing it over I'd get a 26.5 for my 275mm foot (and use 26.5 in alpines) just to take up some volume around ankle.

I find the boot to be pretty volumous (is that a word?) but narrow width in forefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    ^^ this.

I've only got a few hours touring in mine thus far but I'm convinced if doing it over I'd get a 26.5 for my 275mm foot (and use 26.5 in alpines) just to take up some volume around ankle.

I find the boot to be pretty volumous (is that a word?) but narrow width in forefoot.
    My MTN Labs fit great right out of the box. Unfortunately once they packed out a little bit the wide shell throat made them fit me poorly and I got rid of them.

Thx
    I certainly WISH I did. Stupidly bought a 27 MTN Explore thinking it would fit like EVERY OTHER Salomon ever made...it does not. Added a medium volume Intuition liner and I still hate the (sloppy) fit. But that's just me and my skinny ankles and narrow feet.