All-Around Outdoors Camera Recommendation

I know there's a lot of recco threads out there, but they all seem to die pretty quick without much conclusion.

I was hoping to have the mags here give me some direction where to look for a camera setup. Partially because I'm not super happy with what I currently have and partially because I just want to buy new toys.

Right now I have an SL1 with a 10-18, 24 f/2.8, and a 55-250.

The objective is general photography where an iPhone won't do justice (note: I'm not planning on prints, just sharing memories with friends and family, and of course instagram). Specifically: lower-light situations, action skiing and mountain biking, and ideally (but least important) some capability of taking night sky shots.

The budget is definitely limited, so I'd probably be looking at crop sensors since I'm not hardcore enough to ever outlay more than $600 or so for a lens.

The Sony mirrorless line is very intriguing to me like the a6300 because it's so compact and offers a lot of lens options with a pretty broad price range. I did a little Googling, but I'm lazy and hoping for some direction from folks who probably take similar photos.

Any suggested directions are welcome.

I'm a relative JONG as well, but I bought an a6000 recently (with the 16-50mm and 55-200mm kit lenses) and so far am very happy with my choice. I have not had a chance to shoot much action yet because there's no freaking snow. But the photos I have taken have come out well.
    http://www.adrenalated.com/Pic-of-th...ic-of-the-Day/

I think you're on the right track with the A6300 (or A6000 as Adrenelated said above).... my only issue with Sony is that all the good lenses are super expensive and a bit bigger.

If you want to carry around something bigger than your SL1 or the A6300, then I'd highly recommend the Canon 80D or Nikon equivalent. Crop sensors are no joke these days- I've taken some sick shots with my 80D this summer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBFall17STS-39.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	218382

Name:	CBFall17STS-57.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	218383

Name:	Compel-LHOHV-14.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	218384

It just all depends on what your appetite is for carrying around something with a little bulk. I personally don't mind it 99% of the time, which is why I shoot with an 80D and a full-frame 6D. On a Canon crop camera, it's tough to beat the 18-135mm STM lens. That said, I've also shot with the smaller A6000 with good results, and you barely know that thing is in your pack. I'm kind of waiting for the A6700 to come out so it knocks all the others down in price. The 6XXX line is pretty kick-ass for being so small.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I think you're on the right track with the A6300 (or A6000 as Adrenelated said above).... my only issue with Sony is that all the good lenses are super expensive and a bit bigger.
    I've done a little more digging...and you're right - which bums me out. It kind of ruins the point of having a nice little a6x00 in my pocket. I think if I went this route I'd either go A-Mount 16-50 + adapter or the 18-105. Both are compromises and I probably wouldn't shell out for another lens for a bit.

It just all depends on what your appetite is for carrying around something with a little bulk. I personally don't mind it 99% of the time, which is why I shoot with an 80D and a full-frame 6D. On a Canon crop camera, it's tough to beat the 18-135mm STM lens.
    Yeah, what I'm kind of seeing is that I might want to go for a T7i/77D/80D and then the 18-135. Then I can rent specialty lenses as needed for specific applications too.

Two questions on this front:
    1. 18-135 USM vs STM?
    2. What I really hate about my SL1 is that the AF tends to miss a lot, especially photos I took at the resort last season. Are the new Canon crops much better on this front? I was under the impression that one benefit of the a6300 was the impressive AF capabilities.

Get the STM, no contest.

And the 80d focus system is $$$$. It’s way better than your SL1, and it’s also better (and easier to use) than the 7Ti also. There are some great deals to be had on the Canon Refurbished site- around $650 for the 80d and the 18-55mm lens, which you can then just flip.

The 80d’s focus tracking will perform better than the Sony cameras, in my experience.

If you want to go the Nikon crop mount, they have a really excellent 18-200 lens that is perfect for outdoors stuff. I would take it with me as my only lens for skiing or backpacking.

It’s not super fast so nighttime stuff could be difficult.

So I think my plan will be to get the 18-135mm for my Canon and upgrade the body when I find a deal on the T7i/77D/80D (gunning for the 77D though for weight/size and button setup). This way I can keep using my existing lenses and dump the ones I don't like.

I think I'm going to pass on Nikon just because the entry to their lenses is too high for my taste.

My main issue with my current lens setup is that I'm constantly swapping. I think the 18-135 is a good trade-off.

Look at a 6d... it’s a crop sensor but even with the mark 1, it’s a great camera. Good autofocus, lightweight and if I remember correctly 7 FPS. You should be able to pick up a body for 5 or 600. The 24-105 f4 L lens will work great under most conditions. Also it uses SD cards vs CF.

I like the Sony cameras, they have given canon a run for their money, but every time I have used one, the images always looked like they had a green tinge to them... just my 2 cents.... but wtf do I know

Also one more thing.... your investment should be in glass and not so much the body, unless your doing it professionally. My father was a photographer for sports illustrated for over 20 years.... he always preached to me glass is where he spent all the money. I was fortunate enough to inherit all his glass after he passed away. Some of the older glass is way better then some of the newer versions out there. He always said camera technology changes so quick but glass is glass and that’s what makes the image

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fredmiranda is a great place to look for used gear.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mulletdredge View Post
    Look at a 6d... it’s a crop sensor but even with the mark 1, it’s a great camera. Good autofocus, lightweight and if I remember correctly 7 FPS. You should be able to pick up a body for 5 or 600. The 24-105 f4 L lens will work great under most conditions. Also it uses SD cards vs CF.
    Yep, I think the image quality and "feel" from the 6D is incredible- one of my favorites out there. It does have some drawbacks though- 4.5 fps (not horrible) and only the center AF point is usable. I had one a few years ago and loved it, and I just bought a used one again. I paid $700 and it's in mint condition with under 10k clicks. I think $700 is on the low end of what's out there- most of them on FM and POTN are $750-900.

If you want a lighter setup than the above-mentioned 24-105 f/4L, check out the 24-105 STM. Just as sharp, but it just doesn't have the constant f/4 aperture.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will probably go for the 80D/77D simply for the autofocus capabilities. I want to use it on the ski hill, but one advantage is I'll invest in Canon glass and I can always move on from there.

Since I currently already own some EF-S lenses I can keep those for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by mulletdredge View Post
    Some of the older glass is way better then some of the newer versions out there.
    Most of my EF lenses are mid-range zooms and they are fine until you compare them to really good glass. I bought a Canon manual focus 135mm f/2.8 a couple years ago to use with my mirrorless body and it's incredible how sharp that thing is. Getting shots that are actually in focus is another story, of course!

I recently went from the SL1 to the 77D. I've been satisfied. The dynamic range and AF were the biggest improvements. Other noticeable features were better ergonomics and phone connectivity. I think the 18-135 would be an excellent ski lens. I still use the 15-85 and 70-200f4 because I like the all purpose of the 15-85 and try not to duplicate too much. Biggest downside for me of the canon crops is the small viewfinder and the 77d is darker than the 80d(saves significant weight tho). From the canon lineup it was the right mix for me.

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    I recently went from the SL1 to the 77D. I've been satisfied. The dynamic range and AF were the biggest improvements. Other noticeable features were better ergonomics and phone connectivity. I think the 18-135 would be an excellent ski lens. I still use the 15-85 and 70-200f4 because I like the all purpose of the 15-85 and try not to duplicate too much. Biggest downside for me of the canon crops is the small viewfinder and the 77d is darker than the 80d(saves significant weight tho). From the canon lineup it was the right mix for me.
    Thanks for the insight. Did you go hands on with the 77D vs 80D? The weight savings are pushing me to the 77D but the photo forums push the 80D for the build quality and weather sealing.

I'm hoping to wait for some more deals to come in. If I can get the 77D/80D with the 18-135 for $800 I'll be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Did you go hands on with the 77D vs 80D? The weight savings are pushing me to the 77D but the photo forums push the 80D for the build quality and weather sealing.

I'm hoping to wait for some more deals to come in. If I can get the 77D/80D with the 18-135 for $800 I'll be a happy camper.
    Not sure what you mean by hands on. I did fondle both in the camera store and really liked the ergo of the 77d.
    The 80d weighs about 1/3 more which for my main purposes of skiing and backpacking was not worth the build quality and weather sealing and brighter viewfinder(which are nice).

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    Not sure what you mean by hands on. I did fondle both in the camera store and really liked the ergo of the 77d.
    The 80d weighs about 1/3 more which for my main purposes of skiing and backpacking was not worth the build quality and weather sealing and brighter viewfinder(which are nice).
    Edit- I do wish the 77d also had programmable settings on top too like the 80d.

Update: I ended up buying the Canon Holiday deal on the 80D for $1199.

- 80D
    - 10-18 STM
    - 18-135 USM
    - 70-300 USM II

Pretty stoked! I'm going to sell the 70-300 and 10-18. I already have a 10-18 and I think I'd rather get the Sigma 100-400 if/when I want/need to go the tele route. I have a 55-250 right now so I'll just hold onto that and pocket the 70-300 cash. I might also try to swap the 80D for the 77D for the weight, but for now this will do.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Update: I ended up buying the Canon Holiday deal on the 80D for $1199.

- 80D
    - 10-18 STM
    - 18-135 USM
    - 70-300 USM II

Pretty stoked! I'm going to sell the 70-300 and 10-18. I already have a 10-18 and I think I'd rather get the Sigma 100-400 if/when I want/need to go the tele route. I have a 55-250 right now so I'll just hold onto that and pocket the 70-300 cash. I might also try to swap the 80D for the 77D for the weight, but for now this will do.
    So the only thing you're intending to keep is the 18-135? You've got to admit that's pretty funny.

Trust me, you want to keep the 80d and don’t bother with the 77d.

The Sigma 100-400 is an awesome lens, btw. I’ll post a few pictures later on. I’ve had it for a couple of weeks and am super impressed. It’s a beast though.

And one more btw- the 18-135mm lens in that deal isn’t the Good version.

Update... here are a few shots I took with the 100-400mm. The first two are with my 6D, the last is with my 80D. The last one was shot wide open at 400mm, with her running full-speed straight at me.

It's an amazing lens so far, the only issue is that it's a bit heavy- but that's expected for a 100-400mm EF lens. It's WAY lighter (and cheaper) than the Canon L version though.

Name:	AveryDec17-4.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	911.6 KB 
ID:	219122

Name:	MakeBelieveFarm-1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	219123

Name:	AveryPark-2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	219124

Haha yes, I am selling half of the gear coming with it, but I don't mind buying and selling stuff. It's part of the fun for me.

Trust me, you want to keep the 80d and don’t bother with the 77d.

The Sigma 100-400 is an awesome lens, btw. I’ll post a few pictures later on. I’ve had it for a couple of weeks and am super impressed. It’s a beast though.

And one more btw- the 18-135mm lens in that deal isn’t the Good version.
    Yeah, I've heard some great things about the Sigma and I'll probably buy it when the budget opens up. Seems like that range is really versatile too.

Is there another 18-135 I don't know about? AFAIK there's 3 EF-S models and this is the newest and best one overall. Can't imagine they have a 18-135 EF lens.

The best is the STM version, which is much better than the other two optically (and focuses faster too). I'd put it right up there with my previous favorite, the 15-85mm.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...tm-refurbished

I haven't heard much about the newest IS USM version that was released last year (which I'm assuming is the one that's included).... so maybe it's just as good?

Yeah word on the street is the new nano USM is an even faster STM with equivalent optical properties. But that's all forums, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.