Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Official bitch about this season discussion

So far this season has been the worst I can remember in Colorado. We have had shitty seasons before, but usually there is at least a little bit of a base to ski on. This season there is very little skiable natural snow above 10,000 feet, and virtually nothing below that. The next 10-14 days does not look like it will get any better. Holiday crowds will be coming soon and most resorts only have 1 or 2 runs open. It’s really bad. I have only skied once this whole season, and have been focusing on biking and running instead. I have a condo booked in vail next week but will probably just cancel the reservation.

My understanding is that California and Utah are also experiencing a very lackluster winter so far. I wonder if seasons like this will become the new normal in the future.

The PNWet started out like it was going to follow last year. Then, a week of rain up to most peaks, followed by a dusting. Now; high pressure mega ridge suck town.

We're in the middle of what might be the longest dry stretch for winter. More like PNnotWet,

In tue same boat, really disappointed, had been planning a trip (from eastern washington) down to Utah for a week and then Colorado the next... Just had to finally decide that it isnt worth driving thousands of miles and spending more while down there on skiing 5 runs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    My understanding is that California and Utah are also experiencing a very lackluster winter so far. I wonder if seasons like this will become the new normal in the future.
    It has been trending that way. 81 degrees in Denver the last week of November. All the old timers talk about how winters used to be. Been some good springs here, but the early seasons are trending warmer and drier over the past decades.
    I'm so hot right now!

It's shit in Utah. I missed the early season reduced pass price at Alta due to some financial issues. I could pull trigger any day I want now, but glad I didn't yet. Unless there are like 2 back to back 100" weeks here before February I'm holding out for the $750ish pass begin February.

I figure by this time most seasons there is probably a 40" base nearly everywhere at Alta/bird. They're lucky if they have that where they been blowing snow. Very sad. I think the avie report this am said average bc snowpack is 2ish ft deep and has some ugly snow.

Bummer for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

At 6:00 am this morning it was twice as warm on Mt Hood at 5k, than in the valley than at 200'. #sadinthepants

Here in MT I always worry when it starts snowing in September...This season September was basically March or April, followed by basically February in October and December in November soooo, yeah it will probably be November until April now. If you look at long term averages, the shoulder seasons are the wettest months anyways so you just gotta be ready to pounce on it when it comes which is Slaypril. If you're in any continental location besides Utah or interior BC, I kinda think it's 7 shitty below average years and 3 good or decent ones out of 10 so that's life nature is a cruel and fickle bitch, she don't give a fuck you just dropped 1200$ on dps's.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

It was pretty shitty in CO last year around this time. Than it snowed for 2 weeks with some big dumps that helped open a lot of terrain. Hopefully we get the same fortune and its just delayed a couple weeks.

I have to admit I may be to blame here. The Dec/Jan dumps we had last season in the San Juans kicked my ass so this year I bought an ATV with a plow on it and may have jinxed winter. My apologies.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    I have to admit I may be to blame here. The Dec/Jan dumps we had last season in the San Juans kicked my ass so this year I bought an ATV with a plow on it and may have jinxed winter. My apologies.
    A Honda Snowblower would have been more respectful to Ullr.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    At 6:00 am this morning it was twice as warm on Mt Hood at 5k, than in the valley than at 200'. #sadinthepants
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

My season pass would be worth 3x more if it was Bitcoin.

it's a grim bitch of a season and it while it may be anomalously lowtide even in the current climate, things aren't likely to get any better in the long run

fingers crossed for this ridge breaking down sooner than forecasted...

Official bitch about this season discussion

Southwest CO looks horrible - it's at like 25% of normal snowpack. Northern is better but still way below average.

Yesterday I was so longing for winter and longer 2k vert runs that I hot lapped Keystone in 0°/-20° windchill. It was very enjoyable

Im trying to not get down but with this ridge setting up, and assuming we do finally get some good storms after the holidays, we're looking at mid-Jan before good terrain really opens - possibly much later. And the backcountry is so thin. This fucking sucks.

Hasn’t snowed in 5-6 days here but it’s still good up high. Same for whis and kicking horse and lake Louise. Canadian pesos just took another nosedive. Y’all have options eh. 3 days on the lift and 20 touring. Pineapple Express week sucked but other than that it’s been pretty good. I can still find lots to bitch about though so that’s good too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west_swepctnormal_update.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	218355

Track the distribution of butthurt across the west here, updated daily!
    https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref...mal_update.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    I almost dumped a ton of money into a new pow setup this year thinking about those crazy storm... awfully glad I didn't now. We'll be lucky to have a couple foot base by mid February at this point.

God damn it. I'm fucking butthurt.

This sums it up:

don't worry be happy and come visit us in the tetons, mon
    the skiing is good up high here
    no new snow for a bit but enough snow and nice sunny skies
    skid luxury

over 100% SWE of normal where i live;
    have a nice season in your trendy mountain town .....
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    don't worry be happy and come visit us in the tetons, mon
    the skiing is good up high here
    no new snow for a bit but enough snow and nice sunny skies
    Unfortunately looks like that high pressure goes all the way up your way. You do have a way deeper base, but inversion kicks in and Jackson hole will cook. Settle into a nice base but could be sketch for a while. JH should handle the holiday crowds better than most though.

I shudder thinking about all the tourists that will start invading Alta in a couple weeks with the limited terrain...human pinball.

Hope the ridge breaks asap.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    have a nice season in your trendy mountain town .....

Trendy in my town is walking to the post office and Dollar General.

Skiing??? Fak that, winter is here. Time to surf with 20 of your best friends

Name:  20171111_090250.jpg
Views: 2957
Size:  83.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.