Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    64

    Thrift Shop Jackpot?

    So I was wandering around a local thrift shop the other day and came across a pair of Scarpa Laser touring boots. As a splitboarder who has been looking to expand into backcountry skiing I couldn’t pass up the $7.50 price tag. They’re in awesome shape and look like they’ve only had a handful of tours on them.
    As someone who knows very little technical info about ski gear, was this a good find and will they be a good introduction? Also, are all tech bindings mostly the same? The boots are tech compatible, but I see so many different binders out there that I get a bit lost. Anything info helps.

    Also, if you have and AT skis/bindings you want to let loose give me a shout.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kinda halfway twixt NH & CO
    Posts
    1,141
    excellent score! congratulations on acquiring some usable classics

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    14,379
    Any pin tech binding can be used with those boots. For 7.50 and someone who's just getting back into it they should suffice. If I remember those are pretty soft boots.

    Welcome to the world of spending more money on snow sliding sports.

    Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,574
    Quote Originally Posted by philly552 View Post
    So I was wandering around a local thrift shop the other day and came across a pair of Scarpa Laser touring boots. As a splitboarder who has been looking to expand into backcountry skiing I couldn’t pass up the $7.50 price tag. They’re in awesome shape and look like they’ve only had a handful of tours on them.
    As someone who knows very little technical info about ski gear, was this a good find and will they be a good introduction? Also, are all tech bindings mostly the same? The boots are tech compatible, but I see so many different binders out there that I get a bit lost. Anything info helps. .

    Thanks in advance.
    Do they have an intuition wrap liner they heat mold some of the later Lazers boots did which is a real plus

    Are you looking to use them for splitting?

    I don't board but the hard booters I have met seemed to want a really soft boot so old touring boots are Ideal

    The Lazer is probably 15 yrs old fairly soft and might be a good one to try for hard booting in the BC

    There has to be a hard boot/board touring users page soemwhere ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    13,245
    Laser was one of the most popular AT boots in the early 2000s. Pretty soft, 75 flex or so, but probably fine for splitting. Range of motion in tour mode is not anywhere as good as current boots, but they were state of the art in 2002. I don't recall any tech toe insert issues. (Contrast some defective inserts in Spirit 3 which replaced Laser.) $7.50 is a screaming deal. If they fit get 'em and if you like tech setup you can upgrade later.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Do they have an intuition wrap liner they heat mold some of the later Lazers boots did which is a real plus

    Are you looking to use them for splitting?

    I don't board but the hard booters I have met seemed to want a really soft boot so old touring boots are Ideal

    The Lazer is probably 15 yrs old fairly soft and might be a good one to try for hard booting in the BC

    There has to be a hard boot/board touring users page soemwhere ?
    I was actually looking at getting into skiing. Been splitting for a few years now and figured I should give skiing a shot.

    Is the boots being softer going to greatly affect the riding if I do go the ski route?

    And no the liners look like they’re stock. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to upgrade them though. I saw a forum from years ago talking about upgrading the tongue as well.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    OREYGUN!
    Posts
    14,560

    Thrift Shop Jackpot?

    I put some Full Tilt race tongues in my Denalis and also a booster strap. Made them very skiable. Pretty sure the tongues would fit in these as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kinda halfway twixt NH & CO
    Posts
    1,141
    The Scarpa Typhoon tongue is much stiffer than the orange one on the Laser and fits without needing to modify anything. I put some Flexon race tongues on my Lasers many years ago and it made the boot work much better for the descent. The only downside is that the Flexon tongues are less rounded than the stock Scarpa tongues and they have those bulgy ribs. This *may* make closing the buckle a bit tricky due to the strap needing to go a greater distance before reaching the buckle.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    monument
    Posts
    6,213
    How 'bout some Salomon Falcon 10s for $7?
    Dad saw them at the local thrift, and they are red.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    17,143
    Yep, that is a pretty good score, be aware that old plastic has a life span.
    watch out for snakes

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,574
    Quote Originally Posted by philly552 View Post
    I was actually looking at getting into skiing. Been splitting for a few years now and figured I should give skiing a shot.

    Is the boots being softer going to greatly affect the riding if I do go the ski route?

    And no the liners look like they’re stock. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to upgrade them though. I saw a forum from years ago talking about upgrading the tongue as well.
    the Lazer is a classic AT boot and its pretty soft compared to what you can get now but you won't know what you don't know ... its a pretty good place to start IMO !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,391
    Sort of related.. ok, not really, but thrift shop jackpot for sure... I was in the 2nd hand clothing store in Idaho Springs today There is a black Canada Goose down parka on the men's jacket rack. Looked like it was in great shape $60. Size small, unfortunately... Unless you're a little dude, in which case, score one for the midget!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,536
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    8,167
    not to one up your thrift store find, but I also got a pair of those same boots for free when a guy like 10-11 yrs ago was living in his tent by one of my coworkers houses.
    Not sure what happened but he never came back to his tent for a couple wks and the cops eventually came to take it all down and away so my coworker grabbed a couple items including boots. they weren't his size or his wife's so he gave them to me.
    They were my first AT boots and wore them across the haute route etc lol
    it must have been a trustifarian bum though bc he said it was also a nice marmot tent, bag, gear etc
    skid luxury

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,094
    I love cruising thrift stores. Lots of good scores around here... 3 hours from the mountains... close enough for people to try skiing and buy gear.. far enough for them to give up on it and donate gently used, sometimes brand new gear.

    This weekend nothing spectacular but some pretty sweet Raybans. No major scratches.. Durham Bulls shirt in a color I didn't already have..

    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,622
    Hey, you shoulda labeled the thread NSFW (not safe for wife). Everything we own came from a thrift shop. To be fair Truckee has a pretty good one--especially for women's clothes. One of her better scores-- a perfect pasta maker. Our living room side table is a really nice live edge slab of a hardwood I can't figure out, that started out in life as a clock, that I stripped, removed the works, and turned 3 legs out of cherry for.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    262
    Having donated a thrice-drilled pair of Stockli DP Pro models, always feels good to stumble onto something when I drop in. A night table with exquisite wood and lacquer finish is on the floor for 14.99. it's Henredon and perfect, all I need to know. I researched it and although this exact one had sold, the similar ones (same collection, style, materials) are priced at 5,500 / 6,750 for a pair respectively. Lot of moolah for a night table.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3,164
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I love cruising thrift stores. Lots of good scores around here... 3 hours from the mountains... close enough for people to try skiing and buy gear.. far enough for them to give up on it and donate gently used, sometimes brand new gear.

    This weekend nothing spectacular but some pretty sweet Raybans. No major scratches.. Durham Bulls shirt in a color I didn't already have..

    I like that burnt orange shirt!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,094
    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I like that burnt orange shirt!
    My son hates it. I'm indifferent all but one Saturday in October... Won't be wearing that color then..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,676
    I'm a huge thrift store guy. Here in bozone we have 2nd wind, always super good deals.

    Found a 50$ Arc'teryx shirt in Mackay Idaho for 2$.

    The Patagonia fleece I wear daily for 8 months a year found for 5$. It's perfect for a house fleece. I'll wear it forever

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    beaverhead county
    Posts
    4,176
    I was in a thrift shop in Edinburgh a few years ago and picked up a Barbour jacket for $5.
    "somebody's gotta do it"

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,715
    Haven't found much that's "skiable," but my daily slicer 4 knife Wüsthof Classic quiver (10" Chef's, 8" Filet, 6" Sandwich, and Paring) came from Goodwill over a 2 week period, $45 in all. Also my Delta Miter Saw with extra new blades, $24.99.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •