Page 51 of 134 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3329
    Brake release issue from hitting brakes while skinning has not been resolved. Our shop has newly produced from this year (white walk sticker on brakes vs engraved walk symbol for verification) and they release on people a lot. Granted, the ones from last year released faster than a 14 yr old getting his first old fashioned. Salomon, do something about this.

Source: Our shop ordered 60 Shifts. Pretty much sold out now. A dozen are on our demo fleet. We also have two pairs from last year on the bosses skis.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Granted, the ones from last year released faster than a 14 yr old getting his first old fashioned..
    Going to steal that line.

I have 3 pairs from this year that all have the same issue as the brakes deploying into ski mode from tour mode rather easily also fwiw. Mentioned it from my review last year as did the few other people who actually reviewed Shifts for touring. Haven't gotten feedback from the black hole of Annecy on this so my suspicion is that we'll just have to deal with it in the field as best as we can

Two rubber bands can fix this. Annoying I agree.

Hello. These are the first bindings I have ever installed. I put the heel plate too far back but may have got lucky because when I get heel pressure correct it doesn’t go past the stop mark, so might just be acceptable? You can see the photo (boot isn’t in but is in same position).

Quote Originally Posted by manxski View Post
    Hello. These are the first bindings I have ever installed. I put the heel plate too far back but may have got lucky because when I get heel pressure correct it doesn’t go past the stop mark, so might just be acceptable? You can see the photo (boot isn’t in but is in same position).
    So who didn't do a dummy mount first then

Looking at the ski (with the tip to the left) and without a boot installed the rear face of the upper heel unit (as indicated in green in fig 3 of the Shift instructions supplied with the bindings) should be completely obscuring the crosshatched area and STOP line printed in white on the heel base. If you can't see any of that then you're good to go. If you can see any of the printing then the heel is mounted too short and you should remount the heel base further forward.

He y thanks for the info!

I know I’m an idiot for not putting more effort into a dummy mount! I should have actually screwed the heel piece on rather than resting it on top of the plate :/ lesson learnt!!!

Anyway the stop line and hatching are completely obscured, so it seems to be good news on this occasion.

Did my first tour on the Shifts today. The brake release thing is a legit issue. I have 100mm brakes on 108mm skis so they are snug and tucked back, and even so I had the brakes deploy on me a few times. Not a huge deal since it’s easy to yank them back up using a pole basket, but kind of annoying.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Brake release issue from hitting brakes while skinning has not been resolved. Our shop has newly produced from this year (white walk sticker on brakes vs engraved walk symbol for verification) and they release on people a lot. Granted, the ones from last year released faster than a 14 yr old getting his first old fashioned. Salomon, do something about this.

Source: Our shop ordered 60 Shifts. Pretty much sold out now. A dozen are on our demo fleet. We also have two pairs from last year on the bosses skis.
    This is a response from Benoit, the chief engineer behind the SHIFT. I report a lot of what you guys say on here to the guys and gals at Salomon. As this actually seems like it's becoming a thing, despite us actually working on it last year, I asked for more clarity on it.

"Thank you for the feedback.
    We modified a little the locking system of the brake to have more power, but it's a compromise between the level of locking and the power to open the lever.
    A lot of opening is due to the snow block under the pedal of the brake, please clean your brake before locking and tell me if the issue is still there."

Personally, I've noticed two things, one an almost second deeper click that when engaged makes the brakes super locked. But as Benoit mentioned, snow can impede that full lock. I've taken lately to picking up my ski and giving it a quick shake to get the snow under the brake pad out before putting it on for touring.

Has anyone the strength of the pins and toe arms in tour mode? I,e, long glides on mellow down slopes while generally heading up hill. Given how combersome transitions are, I see a lot of folks just gliding in tour mode. Has there been tests on the strength to support this use?

Got mine out for a rip finally. Best compliment I can give them is that I didn’t notice them, they simply disappeared. While I was busy trying to figure out if my skis were complete pieces of shit or not the binding just did it’s job. I had one release when I wanted it to release due to my skis refusing to initiate a turn in some tight stuff (likely the fault of the pilot but still not stoked on the ski)

Set din @10 and it skis like a good alpine binding. Had some issues with the brakes as well, going to throw some tuning rubber bands in my pack to hold the brakes if I have issues moving forward, crappy fix for a 600$ binding but I’m willing to put up with it as they’re light years ahead of anything else I’ve tried ( barons kingpins beasts...)

My brake release issue happened on my first ascent straight from the car. So there wasn’t any snow to clean out. Wasn’t touring in deep snow or anything either- and during the multiple times it happened there was zero snow under the pad. Even so, you should be able to tour and build up some snow without the brake releasing. Definitely cleared things out after transitioning, but again I hadn’t even transitioned yet when it started.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I have 10 tours or so and have not had a brake issue.

How I set the brakes is by lifting up the two brake “arms” then folding them back this lowers the brake “stomp pad”. I then push the retainer down until I hear a firm “click”.

Running 100mm on 116mm skis bent slightly. Maybe bending the brake arms helped. Idk.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Got my pair put back together & toured today. Thought it was my error when the brakes popped. Only happened once.

Scarpa Maestral RS 2 (2019) compatibility with the Shift

Hello guys,

I just bought the the shift a few weeks ago and looking for a good ski boots that will go with it. I was wondering about the Scarpa Maestral RS 2, the new model from 2019. I know that the Maestral is ISO 9523 and therefore should be good to go with the Shift. However, I am seeing some confusion if it is actually compatible due to the Dynafit quick step that may cause problem.

So I am very confused, Any idea?

Thanks
    Krys

This should help: https://www.wildsnow.com/25538/scarp...shift-binding/

Quote Originally Posted by Krys View Post
    Hello guys,

I just bought the the shift a few weeks ago and looking for a good ski boots that will go with it. I was wondering about the Scarpa Maestral RS 2, the new model from 2019. I know that the Maestral is ISO 9523 and therefore should be good to go with the Shift. However, I am seeing some confusion if it is actually compatible due to the Dynafit quick step that may cause problem.

So I am very confused, Any idea?

Thanks
    Krys
    Go to a good bootfitter and they will choose the boot for your feet/requirements - and if it does happen to have Quick Step inserts read my posts #1016 and #1253 in this thread then go skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Go to a good bootfitter and they will choose the boot for your feet/requirements - and if it does happen to have Quick Step inserts read my posts #1016 and #1253 in this thread then go skiing.
    I read the Wildsnow post right after I got mine mounted with my Freedoms. My first thought was why not just file off the little ridge? Wildsnow says they aren't compatible, Scarpa says they are, Salomon says nothing. I'll ski them a few times and report back but I'm not that worried.

Actually, having gone back and re-read the thread, my Freedoms are compatible. Whew, no I don't have to worry about certain death.
    Last edited by shredgnar; 01-03-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Scarpa Maestral RS 2 (2019) compatibility with the Shift

Hey,
    first thank you for your input.

That is exactly why I am confused. Will look forward your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I read the Wildsnow post right after I got mine mounted with my Freedoms. My first thought was why not just file off the little ridge? Wildsnow says they aren't compatible, Scarpa says they are, Salomon says nothing. I'll ski them a few times and report back but I'm not that worried.

I ground the inserts down flush and haven’t died yet.

Yet.

Gravity always wins...

RIP riff.

He was such a good dude. If only he hadn't grinded 0.5 mm of useless overhanging metal off of his tech inserts, then maybe, just maybe, he'd still be with us. You will be missed.

Say hi to Tanner for us, good buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

anybody tried turning the DIN down to minimum and pushing the boot thru the travel by hand to see how/if the inserts interfere with toe release ?

I'm betting it doesnt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    anybody tried turning the DIN down to minimum and pushing the boot thru the travel by hand to see how/if the inserts interfere with toe release ?

I'm betting it doesnt
    I did. It didn't.

(I'm referring to tour mode of course given your reference to inserts just in case there's any more keyboard dentistry involved here)

Is anyone having problems with their AFD needing to be constantly readjusted upwards? My hope was that the Shifts could work for my 50/50 resort/backcountry setup, but after resort days, even without riding particularly hard, the AFD has loosened little by little to the point of needing to be readjusted upward a few turns of the screw. In fact, I can feel the toe of my boots (Dalbello Lupo 130C, GripWalk soles) being noticeably loose vertically by the end of the day.

While readjusting the AFD the last time I noticed that with not a ton of pressure (pushing down with my thumbs) I am able to move the AFD up and down quite a bit (probably at least 1mm, if not 2mm.) This is also noticeable when I'm clipped in. If I weight or unweight the toes of my boots I can see them moving vertically - slightly at first and more noticeably by the end of the day. The AFT seems to want to return to its proper position, but I have to believe that the amount of play is contributing to it loosening over time. Is anyone else having this issue?

I think he is talking about ski mode.