Page 16 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It's interesting to note that the Kingpin came in at 13, the Tectons at 12 and the SHIFT at 13. I suspect there's some user modeling / actuarial models that determine that to be the sweet spot in terms of weight vs. market availability. Obviously a DIN of 10 would cut out too many potential users, for example, so the weight savings wouldn't be worth it, while going up to 16 is likely the inverse (the number of people who need > 13 DIN probably isn't worth the weight penalty).

Do you still ski Cody? I thought you were an African fisherman now?
    I saw that insta post too....elephants and fishing.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

let's get official about this pre order and collect enough data to get a forum discount:

S/LAB Shift Pre-Order Form
    https://goo.gl/forms/m4U3iNUXtfW8SIbW2
    Add yourself above. It will register you as an individual willing to pre-order. If we can demonstrate enough interest, we should be able to work a group discount. If you are connected to a vendor/athlete, why are you waiting? Make the connection!

See below to follow along with collective interest to date:

I will try to re-add this link to each page of the thread. Please do the same
    Last edited by margotron; 02-12-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    "So, as one example, 2018’s worst piece of AT ski gear, the Dynafit Hoji boot with the ridiculous speed nose, won’t work."

LOLOLOLOL
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    I honestly doubt we'd do either. Shaving weight on these would be super tough. Not impossible but significant enough weight to warrant a loss of three DIN settings doesn't seem like a valuable proposition. Oh and on the heavier 16 DIN version, we talked about that a ton internally but there are parameter limits for the binding itself that don't have to do with the main DIN spring that we were told eliminated that possibility. I may be in the dark on future plans but as of now, the SHIFT is the SHIFT with no long term plans to significantly alter the SHIFT. I mean hell, it's been the coolest binding I've ever used yet, so as of now, even I don't see much need to alter it.
    How much do you weigh? Any problems skiing the SHIFT with DIN maxed at 13? That’s normally what I ski at for resort. I don’t huck meat, but am on the larger side of things.

I want a pair of these to throw on enduro core Praxis RX.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    "So, as one example, 2018’s worst piece of AT ski gear, the Dynafit Hoji boot with the ridiculous speed nose, won’t work."

LOLOLOLOL
    I predict at OR/ISPO 2019 Dynafit will introduce the Free Nose for the Hoji... it will be a normal toe lip.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Will they have to call it the "slow nose"?
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    How much do you weigh? Any problems skiing the SHIFT with DIN maxed at 13?
    Cody's given tons of info in the first few pages of this thread.
    Well we've done what we've could to test durability but in many ways, that will be proven over the next few years. I'm a big guy too, 6'2", 190 lbs and they've been working quite well for me.
    Yeah, we were pushing for up to a 16 but there were design limitations that made it impossible for the 16 spring to be put in according to the developers. At the same time, I've been skiing more and more on the Warden 13 because it has a sliding AFD plate and is compatible with the MTN Lab boot which is the boot I ski noo 100% of the time and my experience with a 13 DIN binding has been nothing but positive. I also had the lead engineer for this project dispel the myth that bindings work better in the mid-range of their DIN better than at the edges. So for the SHIFT, I've been at 13 and have gained nothing but confidence on them.
    That was one of the main goals. It had to have the same performance as our STH's or Wardens in any condition. I'll let you decide ultimately but for us, that hurdle was achieved.

I've sent some 20-30 footers at Squaw last season on them.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Cody's given tons of info in the first few pages of this thread.
    I think one of those answers is actually in regard to a similar question I asked earlier in the thread. I forgot a bit, I have been out of the loop on gear this season..

I am trying to figure out what touring binding I am getting next year. This one is first on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    let's get official about this pre order and collect enough data to get a forum discount:

Add yourself above. It will register you as an individual willing to pre-order. If we can demonstrate enough interest, we should be able to work a group discount. If you are connected to a vendor/athlete, why are you waiting? Make the connection!

See below to follow along with collective interest to date:

I will try to re-add this link to each page of the thread. Please do the same
    Are you guys retarded?

Buy a binding that's as complicated as any, the first year it's out????

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Are you guys retarded?

Buy a binding that's as complicated as any, the first year it's out????

They have been testing it for a while. I’m sure they will have small issues, in accordance with Murphy’s Law, but I trust Salomon to iron out any major flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I trust Salomon to iron out any major flaws.
    It's before your time here, but you ought to do a search for Salomon tech fittings and the maggot Thin Cover before putting so much trust in them (or any company).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    It's before your time here, but you ought to do a search for Salomon tech fittings and the maggot Thin Cover before putting so much trust in them (or any company).
    Thin Cover: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...failure-thread I think that disaster really set Salomon (and most majors) back from entering the low-tech binding market. Took Salomon a while to recover from that, but their recent touring products have been nicely designed and engineered (MTN pin binding, Mtn Lab boot, Mtn Lab pow skis, etc.)

Think I've seen Cody post somewhere that he's 6'2, 200. Also seen him doing 3s on the Shift and, well, it seems burly enough at DIN 13.

First year product caveats apply, but this aint Plum or Dynafit. Main thing: if you're going to ski primarily or only at a resort, stick with the right tool for the job (STH 16, or your preferred alpine binder). Not a Squaw binding (no sidecountry) unless you just like attention. Never mind -- PERFECT for a Squaw skier.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Thin Cover: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...failure-thread I think that disaster really set Salomon (and most majors) back from entering the low-tech binding market. Took Salomon a while to recover from that, but their recent touring products have been nicely designed and engineered (MTN pin binding, Mtn Lab boot, Mtn Lab pow skis, etc.)

Think I've seen Cody post somewhere that he's 6'2, 200. Also seen him doing 3s on the Shift and, well, it seems burly enough at DIN 13.

First year product caveats apply, but this aint Plum or Dynafit. Main thing: if you're going to ski primarily or only at a resort, stick with the right tool for the job (STH 16, or your preferred alpine binder). Not a Squaw binding (no sidecountry) unless you just like attention. Never mind -- PERFECT for a Squaw skier.
    Sure you're right, but Marker is a respected company and kingpin still had a lot of problems. And the shift is a lot more complicated.

Sure you're right, but Marker is a respected company and kingpin still had a lot of problems. And the shift is a lot more complicated.
    Agreed - first year (tech binding) product caveats apply.
    sproing!

Sure you're right, but Marker is a respected company and kingpin still had a lot of problems.
    FWIW, I've always hated marker bindings.

Can someone name a heavily produced touring binding released in the last decade which didn’t have some issue?

Dynafit: radical, radical 2.0, beast - all had issues
    G3: ion had issues
    Marker: Duke, F10, Kingpin all had issues
    Salomon: Guardian has issues
    Plum had issues (and no support)
    Vipec has issues, tecton killed boots

Shit, the MTN /BackLand is one of the cleanest best thought out touring bindings to show up over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Can someone name a heavily produced touring binding released in the last decade which didn’t have some issue?

Dynafit: radical, radical 2.0, beast - all had issues
    G3: ion had issues
    Marker: Duke, F10, Kingpin all had issues
    Vipec has issues, tecton killed boots

Shit, the MTN /BackLand is one of the cleanest best thought out touring bindings to show up over the last few years.
    Just the MTN/Backland but you mentioned that. Pretty stunning that it's the one exception to the rule

Tecton also has plastic on brake pads that will crack if you stomp on it.

I'm trying the Mastic tape padding on boot toes to mitigate Tecton boot invagination

I know they came out longer than a decade ago but did Verticals have issues when they came out?

#invagination

I have seen mtn/backland heels needing warrantee. Not wide spread enough to have to alter the design but then there isn’t a ton of them out there
    New dynafit speed is a durable design(so far) that’s made improvements over the simple speed turn. The wedge that the heel pivots on is more durable than all previous designs.
    Hope these shifts continue mtn/backland quality control standards/fingers crossed

#invagination
    #bringbackthetags

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I know they came out longer than a decade ago but did Verticals have issues when they came out?
    Verticals/Comforts were pretty much awesome. Still the gold standard. Sure they had wear issues and if you drove them hard you'd wear out the pins or the thimble bushings etc. Sure the brakes sucked. But nothing in there was an out and out design cockup. I

I guess by that measure the first release Fritschi Zenith/Vipec wasn't terrible. The adjustable pin was done in such a way that there was too much room for user error

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I have seen mtn/backland heels needing warrantee. Not wide spread enough to have to alter the design but then there isn’t a ton of them out there
    New dynafit speed is a durable design(so far) that’s made improvements over the simple speed turn. The wedge that the heel pivots on is more durable than all previous designs.
    Hope these shifts continue mtn/backland quality control standards/fingers crossed
    I grabbed invagination from someone else. I've broken a bit of the MTN brakes off where they snagged a piece of tree while skinning (my brakes are a bit wide). But it doesn't cripple the binding.

How is the Salomon mtn for p re release if you carve hard on firm snow?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I’m on Plum Guides and was on Guardians up until two seasons ago. This is anecdotal and doesn’t mean anything for stats, but I’ve had no issues with either.

What were the Guardian issues? I heard Plum Guides has toe wing problems?

Sounds like they R&D’d the crap out of the Shift. Lots of moving parts but maybe this will pay off!

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I’m on Plum Guides and was on Guardians up until two seasons ago. This is anecdotal and doesn’t mean anything for stats, but I’ve had no issues with either.

What were the Guardian issues? I heard Plum Guides has toe wing problems?

Sounds like they R&D’d the crap out of the Shift. Lots of moving parts but maybe this will pay off!
    Guardians snap in half.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    The toe piece chassis were too weak and flexed badly. You had to install the toe wing support plate to keep it from pre-releasing.