Page 37 of 134 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    The downhill is great, tours good...will be a go to binding for a lot of people

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    I don't know where the misinformation is coming but SHIFTS are compatible with all ISO 9523 Boots. ISO 9523 Boots are characterized by full rubber soles, rockered soles and compatibility with frame bindings as long as there is a sliding AFD plate...like the SHIFT has.

Boots that do not adhere to ISO 9523, like the TLT6 and Sportiva Statos , are not compatible because they do not conform to ISO 9523. The compatibility has nothing to do with the soles and everything to do with the toe and heel welts.
    I'm pretty sure the questions coming up are around the Quickstep inserts found in many Dynafit and Scarpa boots that have toe/heel welts that otherwise conform to ISO 9523. The question is whether Quickstep inserts (which effect the shape of the toe welt) conform to the standard or not.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'm pretty sure the questions coming up are around the Quickstep inserts found in many Dynafit and Scarpa boots that have toe/heel welts that otherwise conform to ISO 9523. The question is whether Quickstep inserts (which effect the shape of the toe welt) conform to the standard or not.
    Amer Sports contends that QuickStep inserts do not conform to the ISO 9523 standard. They don't necessarily affect the shape of the plastic toe welt, but protrude beyond the perimeter of the sole.

ISO 9523(2015)E: "There shall be no protrusion of the sole beyond the shell for the whole perimeter of the whole boot sole interface areas." (boot sole interface areas are defined as places where the binding contacts the sole)

Is that a real issue as in there are real concerns on compatibility

OR is it just an app that is not certified ?

I would suggest the latter and that you do want dynafit inserts in your AT boots
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Is that a real issue as in there are real concerns on compatibility

OR is it just an app that is not certified ?

I would suggest the latter and that you do want dynafit inserts in your AT boots
    Just for clarity -- you can have Dynafit inserts w/o Quickstep.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Just for clarity -- you can have Dynafit inserts w/o Quickstep.
    There are three versions of "genuine" Dynafit inserts - the original (now used in most brands other than Dynafit, Scarpa, and La Sportiva), QuickStep, and MasterStep. The latter two have "ridges" to help guide the boot during step-in.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Is that a real issue as in there are real concerns on compatibility OR is it just an app that is not certified ?
    It is a real issue if you own or work in a shop, as Salomon/Atomic/Armada MNC bindings will not be indemnified. If you ask a shop to mount a pair of Shifts and hand them a boot with QuickStep inserts, they will (assuming they are up to date on the compatibility issue) probably tell you no.

If you "mount you own fucking skis" and want to give it a shot, or file off the ridges and try your luck, that's on you.

well ya a real issue would be some mechnical issue why it should not be done

so if there isnt a real issue the shop still has to say this app is not indemnifyed

So the end loser sez pleez just mount it to that BSL

and thank you very much for your input

Are these a tricky mount? I could prolly find a local shop with a jig but am usually comfortable dicking around with paper templates

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Are these a tricky mount? I could prolly find a local shop with a jig but am usually comfortable dicking around with paper templates
    No mount is really that tricky, but these are a bit more involved than a standard alpine mount. The toe requires mounting a metal peg held in place with one screw and a plastic hanger held in place by two screws, then you slide the toepiece over them and anchor the whole thing with two more screws. No reason an accurate paper template shouldn't work.

^ any idea where I can find a paper template ?

got a set of Atomic-shift due in the post this week....

EDIT : seems to be one here ?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XvK...cLQlLRviX/view

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    ^ any idea where I can find a paper template ?
    Post #847 by lucknau which directs to an updated one on the template thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Hey, so my bindings arrived last night and I checked dimensions against the ones given originally in that JPEG, which I used when building a preliminary template. They were all off by a bit, and the center line was off by 10mm. I updated the mounting template and the link in my original post in the binding mount thread, so if you downloaded it prior to 11/2/2018, go and re-download it and you'll be much happier with the results.

It's post #1251 in the paper templates thread

Mount your own damn skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Mount your own damn skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    To that point, I got a free mount coming to me from my local shop since I bought bindings and boots from them this season. I feel like I should let them do the mount, but then immediately remove the bindings so I can install Binding Freedom inserts. They are on the list of approved shops for install on the Binding Freedom website, but they charge $10 a hole for inserts....

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmells View Post
    To that point, I got a free mount coming to me from my local shop since I bought bindings and boots from them this season. I feel like I should let them do the mount, but then immediately remove the bindings so I can install Binding Freedom inserts. They are on the list of approved shops for install on the Binding Freedom website, but they charge $10 a hole for inserts....
    then just get them use use the right drillbit for Binding Freedom with their Shift jig and put in your own fucking inserts yourself. Don't mount/unmount if you don't have to.
    Better yet, just borrow their bench and jig to drill them yourfuckingself if they'll let you.

Lame as it is, I've had several shops not let me do anything along those lines "liability" they've said, even though I just wanted holes in skis....

You might need to let them mount then unmount if you insist on having the shop do it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    then just get them use use the right drillbit for Binding Freedom with their Shift jig and put in your own fucking inserts yourself. Don't mount/unmount if you don't have to.
    Better yet, just borrow their bench and jig to drill them yourfuckingself if they'll let you.
    kinda like the bar that lets ya just go back make your own drinks or cook with their equipment
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Any of you know if I can swap a warden brake for a shift brake?

Have 120s on warden and want to swap a 100 brake that the shift I found comes with. ...

Throwing shifts on a renegade to create a coastal crusher resort and backcountry

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

some time's you can swap just the brake arms

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    kinda like the bar that lets ya just go back make your own drinks or cook with their equipment
    up here the dentists will let ya do your own root canal to save a lottamoney

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I dunno. I did mine yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMTN19 View Post
    Any of you know if I can swap a warden brake for a shift brake?........
    Not possible as the Shift has a totally different brake to the Warden which incorporates the skinning retraction lock and the climbing bar.

Yeah I was thinking brake arm swap. Looks like mixed reviews of Yay or Nay

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

How are you guys doing AFD adjustment? Per the photos on the manual provided, seems like you place the folded piece paper in between the sole and the AFD, and tighten until you can barely pull it out, but not have it get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    How are you guys doing AFD adjustment? Per the photos on the manual provided, seems like you place the folded piece paper in between the sole and the AFD, and tighten until you can barely pull it out, but not have it get stuck.
    The Salomon tech manual specs a gap of 0.5mm. I've seen shops use a playing card, which is about 0.3mm, though not specifically on the Shift.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    The Salomon tech manual specs a gap of 0.5mm. I've seen shops use a playing card, which is about 0.3mm, though not specifically on the Shift.
    Thanks for the specs, .5mm must be the thickness of the folded cutout from the manual. From a technically standpoint though, I wonder why there needs to be a gap? Wouldn't it make sense that the AFD should be flush with the sole?