Page 123 of 134 FirstFirst ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3330
    Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Transitioning a SHIFT can be smooth & quick, but you still have to take your ski off.
    I guess I just don't get what the big deal with "you have to take your ski off ZOMGBBQ" because as you said, transitions can be smooth and quick. And besides...

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    I'm not skimo racing. At transition we're putting on layers and having a snack and telling lies - I'm sure not holding up the show to transition - so no big deal.
    ^^This
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    repeating for millionth time. anyone having issues with brakes releasing on the up, put a rubber band on them in the parking lot. i *used to have* pre release issues till i did the LeeLau post, and havent since then, which was 2 years ago

however I've moved them off all my non-pow skis. theyre still on bent chetlers for pow missions. but today im putting 300g binders on the bents. It's kinda hard to justify on the up if you're not stuck with a one ski quiver.
    The other day I was touring with someone who had Shifts and 3 or 4 times on the uphill the brakes came down and caused a problem. Her skis were Atomic Vantage 97?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

But man....shifts with bent chets is a pretty freaking fun backcountry set up if you can figure it out.

Good to know. Will triple check before going back out on them. They actually are cranked up pretty high - quarter turn past when the touch the bottom of the boot sole (sure it is tight but the AFD is sick, these are din soles, and the afd itself slides). Hope they haven’t drifted!

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Don't assume the AFD height won't affect heel release. The one prerelease I've had was at the heel, but it was also with my AFD too low, probably due to drift after setting it. None since fixing that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Just when I thought to have figured them out... ...pre-release. Admittedly not with the set I usually ski - same settings though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMfBtHLDgl0/

Buddy of mine had his tip dive in pow and went full speed tomahawk on shifts the other day. Like he was moving fast enough to complete 3-4 full rotations until he stopped. Skis stayed on for the whole thing. DIN set at 10.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 03-16-2021 at 10:03 AM.

what din setting did he use fo that trick?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    what din setting did he use fo that trick?
    I'm gonna take a wild guess at 10

and people wonder why we get annoyed at new users
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    repeating for millionth time. anyone having issues with brakes releasing on the up, put a rubber band on them in the parking lot. i *used to have* pre release issues till i did the LeeLau post, and havent since then, which was 2 years ago

however I've moved them off all my non-pow skis. theyre still on bent chetlers for pow missions. but today im putting 300g binders on the bents. It's kinda hard to justify on the up if you're not stuck with a one ski quiver.
    Yeah man, I know. It’s just super lame to have to use a rubber band given the price tag. More so would like the problem to be acknowledged vs being written off as user error.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    Just when I thought to have figured them out... ...pre-release. Admittedly not with the set I usually ski - same settings though.

Yep. I've had that exact release. Just putzing around in pow on the side of a green and all of a sudden I'm 86ed out the front door. Not confidence inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post

brutal. If you find a cause let us know.
    north bound horse.

As far as I can tell, with many heel releases, and many not heel releases. Clearing snow is critical, I've got to bump the heel din from 10 to 11 (was doing 12 before but with a good snow clearing ritual 11 works. Then, the times when I come out is when the snow eats my tips and I fight it. I think there's just less vertical elasticity. Still better than the kingpins. If you think of them as a plasticy 12 din binding, then you set your expectations right.

I've run the AFD tight and one notch below that (with some wiggle) and that doesn't seem to mess with anything.

How many former Shifters moved to CAST?

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Why doesnt CAST make a STH2 compatible (or tyrolia Attack) setup for apes like me that cannot handle the spinny fucking heel of pivots? I feel like there is enough love for STH2 bindings from the CAST target audience for a STH2 version to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Why doesnt CAST make a STH2 compatible (or tyrolia Attack) setup for apes like me that cannot handle the spinny fucking heel of pivots? I feel like there is enough love for STH2 bindings from the CAST target audience for a STH2 version to make sense.
    They did; the first gen setups pop up on here for sale from time to time. I have a first gen setup for pivots. I'd speculate they don't make them anymore because they sold a lot more pivot setups than any other bindings, and the pivot toe allowed them to make their own baseplate and keep the stack height low compared to what they had to do with the v1 setup. All speculation obviously, and FWIW I don't think the extra stack height of the v1 setup is the end of the world, so just keep an eye out for someone unloading some v1 salomon plates.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    This nails my feelings exactly. I’m not a pivot guy at all but love STH2’s.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

If you’re worried about prerelease with shift, there’s no need for sth2 cast. I’ve prereleased from sth2 heel so many times I run my DIN +2 on the one pair I have

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Yep shifts to cast for me. Ran salomon heels at 13 on wardens and walked out way to many times to ever go back. Give me Pivot or death

Should add that it's not because I've got a big dong it's just I find the heels don't have much travel in them

I switched all my Shift setups to CAST, once setup correctly I have had no real issues with the Shift, I just like the CAST setup better.

FWIW My buddy is 6’2” 220# and a hard charging skier and skis Shifts on his daily driver with no issues.

I had a ~3k touring day on the new toes on my problem shifts yesterday. I haven't had a chance to test them since I've been skiing tech bindings for big days and a different pair of skis for pow conditions.

I had no issues yesterday, and the shifts held up for a cliff drop into pow. We had lots of variable snow conditions (corn, wet mank, slide debris and pow) and I was very happy to be on a heavier setup with elasticity.

I think the AFDs on my problem shifts may have been adjusted too high by my shop. I have a working theory that if the AFDs are out of spec (especially if too high) it could cause issues in touring mode because the AFD would function as a fulcrum for the boot sole to push against and allow the user to lever his/her weight against the pins in a downward motion.

Shifted to cast (see what I did there?)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I think the AFDs on my problem shifts may have been adjusted too high by my shop. I have a working theory that if the AFDs are out of spec (especially if too high) it could cause issues in touring mode because the AFD would function as a fulcrum for the boot sole to push against and allow the user to lever his/her weight against the pins in a downward motion.
    I thought I had checked that with mine that did not stay up by putting boot in and looking at contacts, but maybe not. Would be interesting to see a photo of what you describe.