Page 35 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    I was just at my local north Seattle ski shop and the sales guy mentioned that my 2017/18 maestrale rs may not be be compatible with Shift bindings since the boots are not iso certified. He said that Salomon and scarpa are currently meeting in Italy to discuss. Won’t mount skis until I know about my boots I guess... these boots weren’t part of the short list of non compatible boots previously mentioned that I can recall.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by brown9; 11-15-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brown9 View Post
    I was just at ProSki in Seattle and the sales guy mentioned that my maestrale rs may not be be compatible with Shift bindings since the boots are not iso certified. He said that Salomon and scarpa are currently meeting in Italy to discuss. Won’t mount skis until I know about my boots I guess... these boots weren’t part of the short list of non compatible boots previously mentioned that I can recall.

the implication being that the maestrale rs does not conform to any norm, touring or otherwise? shop sounds like they're high...

The implication was that the quick step inserts catch on the toe of the binding in downhill mode during release.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...ft-mnc-binding

they work. here the reviewer is using them with maestrale rs and no reported issues.

at least if they do fuck up or have problems you can all nip round Cody's house for him to fix them or get a refund from him

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Anything with quick step inserts is non compliant to 9523 (or 5355) and currently won’t be indemnified with shifts by Amer (or Wardens and Guardians for that matter).

Will they work fine? Probably, but it’s currently a sticking point. Marker doesn’t have an issue with SoleID and quick step inserts. We have seen this hawsh posh before with look and k2 pinnacles, it got resolved.

My guess is one of two things happen. Scarps pays for Amer to test the Shift with quick step insert boots and it gets approved to work, or Scarpa stops using quick step inserts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Makes it about 30mm of travel between the STOP mark and the last minor hash.
    I'll be mounting these for a pair of Dalbello Lupo 130C boots which at 26.5 (my size) have a BSL of 307mm. This seems to be on the long side of BSLs, especially for touring boots. I plan on keeping the boots for as long as I have this setup, but just in case they don't work out I was thinking of mounting the heels 5mm forward of the templates so I wouldn't run the risk of needing to remount if I moved on to boots with a shorter BSL. The potential problems I can think of are the brakes not properly engaging or the boots sitting funny on the climbing risers because the heel is farther back than normal. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    I'll be mounting these for a pair of Dalbello Lupo 130C boots which at 26.5 (my size) have a BSL of 307mm. This seems to be on the long side of BSLs, especially for touring boots. I plan on keeping the boots for as long as I have this setup, but just in case they don't work out I was thinking of mounting the heels 5mm forward of the templates so I wouldn't run the risk of needing to remount if I moved on to boots with a shorter BSL. The potential problems I can think of are the brakes not properly engaging or the boots sitting funny on the climbing risers because the heel is farther back than normal. Thoughts?
    It looks like the brakes move with the heel when adjusting, so shouldn't matter.

https://youtu.be/N2DbERq8dXw

Has anyone actually skied them yet? Both up and down?

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    For anyone mounting with inserts this is my system. These were screws rear I had laying around.

Here is another online article.

https://snowmonkeyskimo.blogspot.com...serts.html?m=1

Front lug, not super happy with the fit on this one. Looking for a narrower head that will pop right in there. The overlap doesn’t effect it when mounting though.
    Attachment 250946
    Attachment 250947

Rear two screws on the front of binding
    Attachment 250948Attachment 250949

The binding then slides back and is locked into place with two more screws
    Attachment 250952
    Attachment 250953

For the rear plate it’s the same low profile screws as the middle screws used on the front of the binding.
    Attachment 250951
    Attachment 250950

I found that when using the screws from the link posted above they were a bit long. I’m still not quite sure where to measure screws from? Lol. Is it where the threads start? Or from the head of the screw?

Screw it that’s why I attached pics.

I'm late to the party...but BF has this on their website for Shift screw lengths for their inserts:

https://www.bindingfreedom.com/salomon/

Shift

2 - 10mm flat heads with head diameter reduced to 8mm
    4 - 12mm flat heads
    4 - 14mm flat heads with head diameter reduced to 8mm
    8 - 16mm flat heads with head diameter reduced to 8mm

I'm assuming the "reduced to 8mm" means folks have to reduce the head on a grinder to make them fit the holes in the binding molds? Anyone do this yet?

This is handy info as well...nice work..
    https://snowmonkeyskimo.blogspot.com...serts.html?m=1
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Not sure, didn’t grind down any of the screws shown above and they work great!

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    Yes x2

Haven't read all this so a couple of quick questions. I have a pair of DPS Wailer 112's mounted with Speed Radicals that I ski primarily touring with Vulcans, however, do ski them on occasion at the resort. They are a quiver ski both touring and resort and thus don't get used as much as I think they should as IMO, don't trust the bindings resort skiing and usually on lighter gear touring. So, I was thinking that a remount with Shifts would put these more at play resort and maybe more at play skiing tougher BC conditions. My questions are, first are my Vulcans certified for these bindings? Same question for my Maestrales? My resort boots are Technica Cochise 130's, BSL difference is 314 vs 324 so maybe the Cochise is out for resort only and lastly, overall good idea or bad idea.
    Thanks and Oh yeah, any clashing remounting Shifts over Dynafit Speed Radicals..............

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    any clashing remounting Shifts over Dynafit Speed Radicals..............
    Unsure but you could print off paper templates and hold them up to a light

30mm heel travel. Scroll up about 15 posts.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Maestrales?
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Anything with quick step inserts is non compliant to 9523 (or 5355) and currently won’t be indemnified with shifts by Amer (or Wardens and Guardians for that matter).

Will they work fine? Probably, but it’s currently a sticking point. Marker doesn’t have an issue with SoleID and quick step inserts. We have seen this hawsh posh before with look and k2 pinnacles, it got resolved.

My guess is one of two things happen. Scarps pays for Amer to test the Shift with quick step insert boots and it gets approved to work, or Scarpa stops using quick step inserts in the future.
    This is 8 posts above yours.

Just another data point on brake width...mounted my shifts today.

110 mm brake fits a 122 mm ski with no bending, but plastic on brake arms does lightly contact the edges (very lightly, like barely touching at all, brakes deploy completely normally and brakes don't catch when putting into tour mode or stepping into them in dh mode).

Could run them stock and a minimum amount of plastic will get shaved off the arms when they flex (like the same amount that would get shaved off when you put your skis together to carry them and you interlock the brake arms), or could bend them about 1 mm on each side.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 11-04-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Template for the shifts yet that is accurate ?

The one I downloaded off of this thread had the rear holes on the toe off by half a cm or so. I’m waiting on the mount. If I fuck up the wife’s custom billy goats she may kill me.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by frankthegonzo View Post
    Template for the shifts yet that is accurate ?
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    The one I downloaded off of this thread had the rear holes on the toe off by half a cm or so. I’m waiting on the mount. If I fuck up the wife’s custom billy goats she may kill me.
    The given dimensions were wrong, but It's been fixed, as of 11/2/2018.

Link is on post #1251 in the paper templates thread

Huh, that’s what I used. Printed this morning. I’ll try again.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

i got a jig at the shop
    we professionals use em cause theyre way easier and more accurate than paper templates
    stop by and ill mark/drill 4 u
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Done! You gonna be around this week?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    yeah ill probably be down at the grainery compound a few evenings
    or i can mooch the wharehouse one for a night
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno