Page 78 of 134 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 3330
    You almost got torn a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

GoldenBC, impressive wound. Whilst you're laid up I'd get working on incorporating a 30' drop to a flat landing in to your story! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. .

Damn! Have the docs checked to make sure there aren't any binding parts in there before the sew it up? Impressive wound!

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Damn! Have the docs checked to make sure there aren't any binding parts in there before the sew it up? Impressive wound!
    The bionic man!

Getting some superficial stitches to avoid infection now, not literally now, and then meeting with a plastic surgeon Tuesday. Hit the glute pretty good.

Corvus’ have sharp edges, FYI

Still can’t believe it was on a groomer. Ha. You’re right Jon. Lame story.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    havent had a chance to review my binding yet as I’m in the hospital but I suspect heel pre release. I haven’t had an issue yet and felt secure otherwise. First release yet. High speed groomer, threw on the brakes and the ski popped off and I slid on it for 75m. 3” x 3” bonus hole on my back side. Luckily, I bled out the right hole.
    Oh, holy crap, that's just brutal. I hope you're up and running again soon. Damn.
    Last edited by lucknau; 03-17-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Oh so that was a ski edge? Thought it was abrasion.

That looks like a major pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I don't want to see that as I scroll through tech talk, sorry, so I'll leave this here.
    Best wishes on recovery

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Yes, no, maybe. Probably depends upon the make/model of boot (ie solid or hollow lugs etc) and your skill level. A metal insert would have to be fitted to avoid rapid erosion etc. In the grand scheme of things probably easier/cheaper/safer to change boots.

In the early days of CAST the boot mod was being offered by Sole in Chamonix but I'm not sure if they still do it. Give Steve a ring on +33 450 961 163. Steve's a good guy so if he's no longer doing it commercially I'm sure he'd give you some DIY advice and he might even have some components left.
    I just spoke to Steve, nice guy. He said that he did not work with Cast Systems anymore. Furthermore he said it would be impossible to do yourself.
    However, I'm still having a hard time seeing what the problem should be. Sure you need a steel insert in the right size for the pins and you need to drill the hole in the right angle. But that is it? Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    The bionic man!

Getting some superficial stitches to avoid infection now, not literally now, and then meeting with a plastic surgeon Tuesday. Hit the glute pretty good.

Corvus’ have sharp edges, FYI

Still can’t believe it was on a groomer. Ha. You’re right Jon. Lame story.
    Damn dude.

There's been a big initiative in ski racing called Stop the Bleed because of injuries like this.

I knew a kid who recently had something similar happen to him except he managed to cut an artery in his leg. Pretty scary shit.

IMO I'm surprised we don't see more injuries like this.

Heal up fast!

GoldenBC - damn, dude. I'm curious, were the groomers spring soft or firm and chattery when this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Damn dude.

There's been a big initiative in ski racing called Stop the Bleed because of injuries like this.

I knew a kid who recently had something similar happen to him except he managed to cut an artery in his leg. Pretty scary shit.

IMO I'm surprised we don't see more injuries like this.

Heal up fast!
    If it were on my thigh or inner leg, I would have been panicking. I probably lost 200-300ml of blood in a minute and slowed within three minutes. It never spurted blood either. . But I knew there were no major arteries there. There was a minute where I was curious if I would bleed out. We put compression on and had my leg uphill. Only thing better to do was lay on my stomach so the wound was up. But that would have been awkward to self apply pressure.

Funny thing, guy I was skiing with has a scar on his back from 35 stitches from the same thing.

That's the wrong kind of gash. Nice ass though

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    GoldenBC - damn, dude. I'm curious, were the groomers spring soft or firm and chattery when this happened?
    Day old groomer that was a bit chattery. It started to soften up and I could arc turns at speed without losing an edge.definitely not icy. Three/ four day old ski, only detuned in the tip. The previous run I envisioned this happening because of the pre release comments on this thread. I had never released before on this one or ones I demoed. I never have released like this in my life
    Din 10
    282mm atomic hawx
    150lb
    184cm long 107mm underfoot ski

Going to test it on a machine tomorrow

Yikes. I spent the weekend going mach schnell straightlining spring groomers while on my Shifts, even had a bit of a huck to flat without releasing (in a good way), but your story makes me a little nervous about doing it again.

I had a couple of releases last week. One was a stuffed tip to full slow down in a windlip. This was full force, slow fall, and the ski came off nicely. Next was landing a little too far forward on an air into upside down pow. I might have gone over the bars without the release, but it seems like the release sent me forward. Other ski released cleanly as I crashed.

I have my toes on 9 and heels on 11. I rememeber skiing the STH I used to put the toes on 10 and heels on 12 because I had a few too many heel releases. But now I'm older, so not so rad, and a little lighter at 150lbs.

I could see how forward pressures are off for many as the indicator is quite far past flush. I've had a lot of airs on them so far, with just the one release from landing. I've also been enjoing hard groomer skiing with them. I've mostly just been testing them at the ski area, but they are really just for touring.

To that end. I think there is potential for dropping 250g from the binding by not using the brake/riser unit, and swapping the afd out for something like the ATK freeride spacer. Then we've got a touring binding. I'll be experiementing over the summer.

It's funny that I've been skiing tech/kingpin with very little alpine bindings for the last 6 season. 2 days on the shift and I was remembering how I used to ski... better. I also converted a few other pairs to pure alpine and loving the power of alpine. For powder touring, I don't think it makes a big difference, but we get so much variable in the alps, or light pow on top of refrozen base that it's really nice for that. Also safety while landing/crashing is nice, as long as they aren't prereleasing...

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    I just spoke to Steve, nice guy. He said that he did not work with Cast Systems anymore. Furthermore he said it would be impossible to do yourself.
    However, I'm still having a hard time seeing what the problem should be. Sure you need a steel insert in the right size for the pins and you need to drill the hole in the right angle. But that is it? Or am I missing something?
    Check out this vid from Cast to show that they use a router to clear the toe base, and then screw on a base plate with the inserts in them.

Rubber hinge spacer now sorted (used an off-the-shelf cable grommet but cold temperature performance is an unknown) and the lock nuts swapped out for a proper washer/nylock nut. Assembly is rock solid but currently lacks any feature to be 'ski pole enabled' so currently requires the user to hand operate.

Mine popped off a few times while in tour mode last weekend on a super steep crusty climb. Not fun putting them back on either. Anyone have this problem? They were locked.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Mine popped off a few times while in tour mode last weekend on a super steep crusty climb. Not fun putting them back on either. Anyone have this problem? They were locked.
    Yup, twice now on hard, off camber sections where losing a ski would make for a long monoski down and longer skin back out of the drainage. Cleaning pins and tech fitting of all ice did not solve the problem.

GoldenBC, can you confirm where your heel forward pressure was set at? Was it flush or up a bit as discussed in this thread? If you say they weren’t flush I’m going to stop using these outside of pow conditions...
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 03-21-2019 at 08:07 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Anyone have any pre-release issues with mtn labs?

Quote Originally Posted by flatland View Post
    Yup, twice now on hard, off camber sections where losing a ski would make for a long monoski down and longer skin back out of the drainage. Cleaning pins and tech fitting of all ice did not solve the problem.
    Had this issue today as well in similar conditions. Not fun!

Quote Originally Posted by flatland View Post
    And you did put it all the way in hike mode?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Backcountry...inding_issues/

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    And you did put it all the way in hike mode?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Backcountry...inding_issues/
    Dunno about him, but I did (two clicks, lever all the way up) and still have had two releases while skinning when stomping off-camber to break through a hard crust. On a 118 underfoot ski, so maybe just too much torque for the pins? But then the skis are mounted with inserts for tech bindings as well and I haven't had this issue with them.