Page 104 of 133 FirstFirst ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 3309
    Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
    Very constructive dude.

Let me guess you're running 110mm brakes on 110 waist skis? Too big.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    You guessed wrong. My issues were documented a long time ago in this thread.

Very constructive dude.

Let me guess you're running 110mm brakes on 110 waist skis? Too big.

What you noted are contributing factors, but not always all of the contributing factors. On some bindings, or with some boots, the brakes don’t always fully seat by heel pressure alone.

This problem can usually be mitigated on problem brakes by holding it in your hands with your thumbs on the brake platform, and pressing down hard with your thumbs. You’ll hear a loud pop, and then the brakes will be a lot less likely to release.

I've always used my hands to lock the brake, 2 minutes of fiddling with the mechanism tells you that stomping it wont work...

Yeah I tend to just pull the brakes up to lock them and then pull the brakes down to unlock them. Trying to lock/unlock it with the heelpiece seems to be more finicky than it's worth.

Zero pre-releases, one brake release while skinning due to hitting my skis together. Did have to dial in the afd which takes some bench time to get right. I bet 90 percent of issues are due to the afd being set wrong (if your bindings were mounted in a shop I can assure you that they were set wrong, the shop manual is crap where as the methods in this thread are legit).

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I bet 90 percent of issues are due to the afd being set wrong (if your bindings were mounted in a shop I can assure you that they were set wrong
    ^ Probably. Willing to bet that 90+% of the gripes about Soli STH toes stripping the wing adjustment screw is due to the wings not being opened up prior to somebody snapping in a boot, and the forward pressure forces the wings apart and strips the threads around the adjustment screw. Operator error.

I've scrolled through this thread but haven't really been able to find my answer. I have a pair of Praxis BCs (106 mm waist) mounted with shifts, that I'd like to get ski crampons for. From my research it looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and get the 120 mm, is that the consensus? I managed to fit 100 mm brakes on the skis, but it looks like the internal width of the ski crampons is going to be too small to fit my skis. Can anyone offer any guidance?

Also, wanted to thank the people who contributed to this thread for all the info on how to set up the AFD on this binding. My local shop did confirm recently that, according to advice from their Salomon rep, they set up the AFD by raising it so that the AFD 'kisses' the sole, and then raise it up by one quarter turn more. This seems to corroborate what people on this thread figured out on their own and were kind enough to share with us.

Setup has worked very well for me thus far!

The actual internal width of the Shift crampons is 5mm wider than their stated width.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Reviews on this binder are all over the map.

Pre-release on the down is alarming.

Sounds like the toe on the up is operator error?

The brake releasing is a pia...ice or just a shit design?
    I feel this binding is very sensitive to set up and the manual is inadequate or even wrong. So it's fiddly, not mount and go. But it's supposed to work with almost all boots in almost all conditions. Pre release can happen when set up according to the manual. I personally don't like having to crank up forward pressure and or din and or afd height in order to feel confident when dropping into something. Because then I don't feel confident.

The brake design makes it easy to lock and release the brakes. Too easy. I would bring something to keep the brakes up just in case, like a rubber band or strap.

In the end I wanted to like the shift but given the cost I sold them and went back to the compromises with a dynafit radical 2 for touring and sth 2 for resort.

I might try again, not sure

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by kphom View Post
    Yep, no problems with Binding Freedom inserts.
    Do you use it with different pairs of ski? Or you use it on one pair of ski with different binding?

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    Do you use it with different pairs of ski? Or you use it on one pair of ski with different binding?
    I've gotten in the habit of putting inserts in all of my skis. This season the shifts have stayed on one pair of skis, but likely in the future they will be moved around in the quiver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Considering pulling the trigger on these for a first touring binding that is 50/50. Looks like most people are happy once the AFD is set? I just hope local Phoenix shop can do it. Yeah, I know, I'll probably ski them in bounds more than tour, but I have to start somewhere

I think these are a good option for a more resort binding with some touring. They tour well but are heavy. They ski the resort well and once set up are a pretty reliable binding. Obviously two seperate set ups are way better, but it is a reasonable on ski quiver set up.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I think these are a good option for a more resort binding with some touring. They tour well but are heavy. They ski the resort well and once set up are a pretty reliable binding. Obviously two seperate set ups are way better, but it is a reasonable on ski quiver set up.
    The thing is, the people who don't tour much typically cant do the vert that another binding would "allow"

The shift should be compared to frame bindings, and the new marker offering. In that frame they are overall lighter, way lighter in lifted weight per step than frames, and they ski only marginally worse in bounds (if at all)

If you tour more than 4 or 5 times a year, then you should have a touring setup. Lighter side of ski weights, pins and some boots to match.

Lastly on this topic, this shifts will not be durable to ski all the time in bounds. It's just a fact of life, if you are "50-50" but you really only tour once or twice a year and ski 30+ days in bounds just rent to tour. There are too many people in the world with touring setups that don't use them, for sure.

Lastly on this topic, this shifts will not be durable to ski all the time in bounds.

Can this really be said for sure yet?

The thing is, the people who don't tour much typically cant do the vert that another binding would "allow"

The shift should be compared to frame bindings, and the new marker offering. In that frame they are overall lighter, way lighter in lifted weight per step than frames, and they ski only marginally worse in bounds (if at all)

If you tour more than 4 or 5 times a year, then you should have a touring setup. Lighter side of ski weights, pins and some boots to match.

Lastly on this topic, this shifts will not be durable to ski all the time in bounds. It's just a fact of life, if you are "50-50" but you really only tour once or twice a year and ski 30+ days in bounds just rent to tour. There are too many people in the world with touring setups that don't use them, for sure.
    My experience, though anecdotal, doesn't agree, unless we're operating on a different definition of "tour" (well, aside from the first point). I haven't owned a frame binding since the Naxo; I currently own a now-very-dusty tele-touring setup (with O1s), a midweight Dynafit setup (Speed Radical ST2 on Huascarans) and a Shift setup (Bent Chet 120). The Bent Chets replaced a heavier Shift setup (Black Crow Anima), which in turn mostly replaced a pair of Lhasas with STHs (primarily an inbounds setup that got pressed into spring/summer couloir use). I also had a set of Sego Bighorn 96s with Tectons for a season, but never really clicked with that ski. I do also have a couple pairs of fishscales (one mounted 3-pin tele, one with G3 Onyx) for lower-angle stuff. I will throw in the caveat that I've been in a Lange Freetour XT 130 and then 140 since 2015; before that I was in the Black Diamond Factor.

Even with the Dynafit setup available, and before I got the Shifts, I found myself leaning towards the Lhasas for anything involving interesting terrain that I could get away with bootpacking; with the Shift setups, the Dynafits have been mostly gathering dust except when I had an out-of-town visitor and needed a second touring setup. The Black Crows saw a fair bit of use last year as my all-mountain ski, less than I'd like as a touring ski (although probably more than 5 times); the Bent Chets have been strictly a lift-served setup this year until about a week ago due to a different work schedule this winter (and now they're probably going to see a fair bit of uphill use thanks to the lack of lift service).

The weight penalty for the Shift/Bent Chet combo over the Dynafit setup is well worth it IMO so long as you're not looking at a heinously long approach or bootpack (on a not-quite-flat up to moderate skin track, I feel like the difference is pretty damn minimal). This does assume that you're climbing up to ski down; if the climb is a reward in and of itself, that may not hold (but then you're probably looking at skinnier skis all around). Lighter boots might change my perspective, too, but then you're getting into compromises that fit better with the kind of longer days where Shifts decidedly aren't ideal and a truly lightweight binding/ski combo probably is.

This pic was posted on the sollie web page. Guy said he's seen 5 like this. Was this someone in here?

Any changes with the 2021 model?

This pic was posted on the sollie web page. Guy said he's seen 5 like this. Was this someone in here?

For the Nth time, no changes in 2021 according to the expo news. Just a lower din model.

Just read through a ton of pages and it doesn't look like we have a solution to the touring mode "lock out" issue...other than it's "warranty".

Picked up a pair of Armada branded Shifts and one of the toes won't stay up in the lock position in tour mode. Voile strap through buckle worked today but not ideal. I inspected both toes and can't find a single thing different. Double checked AFD height as I thought it might have something to do with it not locking in place.

Also, in regards to the toe lever being hard to pull into lock position...I wish it was actually more difficult, ala Dynafit Rotation 2.0 etc. It does not really feel secure, especially since becoming easier and easier since I got them.

Only happening on 1, but I almost feel the other one is going to start doing it.
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

I've got pics of the same thing... never posted them.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Lastly on this topic, this shifts will not be durable to ski all the time in bounds.
    I've got a lot of inbounds days on my shifts and so far my experience makes me disagree. However, they are on 122mm powder skis, so they're only being exposed to soft conditions. I can see maybe not wanting to have them on your daily driver that you use on hard pack too...

Agreed. There's no real evidence they aren't durable inbounds.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

From my perspective, pro patrol daily use will be the real indicator. Anyone using these day-in, day-out (everyday) over a season in a broad range of conditions are going to know first hand how well they are holding up long term (or not). I’ve noticed several members of our PP at the local MTN on them this year. One short season in they appear to still be holding up doing well enough that they still like them. Some of the patrol run control routes that necessitate tour mode.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbrother49 View Post
    Just read through a ton of pages and it doesn't look like we have a solution to the touring mode "lock out" issue...other than it's "warranty".

Picked up a pair of Armada branded Shifts and one of the toes won't stay up in the lock position in tour mode. Voile strap through buckle worked today but not ideal. I inspected both toes and can't find a single thing different. Double checked AFD height as I thought it might have something to do with it not locking in place.

Also, in regards to the toe lever being hard to pull into lock position...I wish it was actually more difficult, ala Dynafit Rotation 2.0 etc. It does not really feel secure, especially since becoming easier and easier since I got them.

Only happening on 1, but I almost feel the other one is going to start doing it.
    I got some video of mine that I used to submit with the warranty return request. Not sure what to do about a replacement, assuming I get a refund.

ff to about 20 sec:

This is the issue my friend had (with black Armada-branded Shifts). Revisiting this thread because apparently something broke in one of his heel units while skiing so the spring/DIN indicator is stuck at 6, which means he releases all the time. DIN screw turns forever without moving the indicator. Anyone have this problem?