Page 132 of 134 FirstFirst ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 3330
    Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    I usually have one, two or three like this every season and it is always the same (the skis are flexed...):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMfBtHLDgl0/

I'm fine with that.
    Serious question - Why are you fine with that? One of those at the wrong time and place could be pretty consequential.

probably just a resort cruiser
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    ... but given all of the problems... with the MTN Pure bindings.
    What issues have you had with the MTN pure? That binding has generally been reliable for me and seems to be regarded as such by most folks I talk to, so very curious what problems you've run into. Sorry if I missed it up thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Serious question - Why are you fine with that? One of those at the wrong time and place could be pretty consequential.
    Now, having gathered some experience, I can predict when that type of prerelease might happen. Luckily, it happens only when I'm fooling around - I've never had prerelease while going fast or sending it (IMHO - fast = faster than 50mph and I, at my age , rarely drop more than 15 feet)

On a further notice, my previous bindings were G3 Ions and "telemarking" happened quite often - probably 3 times more prereleases than the shifts, including some that SHOULD NOT have happened and led to minor injuries.

Now, having gathered some experience, I can predict when that type of prerelease might happen. Luckily, it happens only when I'm fooling around - I've never had prerelease while going fast or sending it (IMHO - fast = faster than 50mph and I, at my age , rarely drop more than 15 feet)

On a further notice, my previous bindings were G3 Ions and "telemarking" happened quite often - probably 3 times more prereleases than the shifts, including some that SHOULD NOT have happened and led to minor injuries.
    Still sounds scary. I went from ion to salomon mtn, and in 3 years and 2 pairs no prereleases. The toe springs are very strong

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    What issues have you had with the MTN pure? That binding has generally been reliable for me and seems to be regarded as such by most folks I talk to, so very curious what problems you've run into. Sorry if I missed it up thread
    I have 3x pairs of MTN pure. I like them. They walk great. Ski well. Have never let me down. Very easy to use for the most part (stepping into heel can be tough in deep soft pow). I’ve never had the heel lifters loosen.

However, all 3 pairs have developed play between the tower and base plate track. The tolerance between the tower and groove it slides through on the baseplate are too big. The tower can rock fore aft, creating the dreaded “jiggle”. Very g3 ion feel. Unfortunately there is no way to shim the tower like you could do with the old dynafits verts.

I’m curious about the new MTN coming out next year and if the heel addresses this flaw. From the pics in the catalog it looks like it might.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    I have 3x pairs of MTN pure. I like them. They walk great. Ski well. Have never let me down. Very easy to use for the most part (stepping into heel can be tough in deep soft pow). I’ve never had the heel lifters loosen.

However, all 3 pairs have developed play between the tower and base plate track. The tolerance between the tower and groove it slides through on the baseplate are too big. The tower can rock fore aft, creating the dreaded “jiggle”. Very g3 ion feel. Unfortunately there is no way to shim the tower like you could do with the old dynafits verts.

I’m curious about the new MTN coming out next year and if the heel addresses this flaw. From the pics in the catalog it looks like it might.
    I had this play and it was a screw loose under the binding. You have to take the heel off and tighten the screw, then mount it again.

I dont think Salomon would find this a positive review haha.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I had this play and it was a screw loose under the binding. You have to take the heel off and tighten the screw, then mount it again.

Your talking about for the loose heel raisers issues? I’ve check that bolt and it’s tight as can be.

The play is in between the tower itself and the grooves it slides for-aft in for BSL adjustments. The tolerances aren’t tight so the tower can move inside the groove.

No, it's not about the heel riders loose.
    The entire tower was loose, and the entire hell assembly had to be unscrewed from the ski and a screw underneath had to be tightened
    I had a shop do it so i don't know first hand what it looked like
    But it was loose before she tight afterwards.

Gotcha Rod. The bolt (not screw) you speak of looks like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1673627324.835611.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	442504

It threads into the underside of the top cap. It pulls the top cap down.

The play all of mine have developed is not from this being loose.

Been skiing mine daily inbounds for a few season. No issues. Skiing hard no sending.

I routinely see ppl skiing.w the toe levers up. I advise against it.

Add me to the “ski Shifts, no problems” group. Two pairs on two different skis. Lots of resort days on them, no prereleases. Appropriate release the handful of times I have screwed up and needed it.

I had two pre releases on mine the first season I had them. I learned to be really careful with all the snow being cleaned off the soles (kind of annoying after a boot pack) and I followed LeeLau's article to adjust them. Since then, no issues at all with about 150 days on them.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Just to reiterate after 4 years on the same pair: Foward pressure perfect, absolutely no snow under my foot or on the heel shelf, and +1 on the heel din. Then all good. Otherwise, faceplants do happen.

my Shifts are on a ski I really only use on deep days inbounds - 193 Gunsmoke

skied hard last three days in deep snow

only time I kicked a shoe it was an appropriate release when I ate shit
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineslider View Post
    I had two pre releases on mine the first season I had them. I learned to be really careful with all the snow being cleaned off the soles (kind of annoying after a boot pack) and I followed LeeLau's article to adjust them. Since then, no issues at all with about 150 days on them.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Can you point me towards this article or what it suggests? Just started having some pre-releases for the first time in a couple of (light) seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Can you point me towards this article or what it suggests? Just started having some pre-releases for the first time in a couple of (light) seasons.
    https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...n-Issues-Fixes

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Once you understand how the AFD works its pretty simple to get the set up and never have to fiddle with it again. Max out forward pressure (inside of spec) and bump heel DIN one point.

I've released a couple of times after doing all of the above. Snow under my boot? Maybe... Talked to a shop guy last week. Same experience as mine: No releases in consequential terrain, but a few weird releases on simple runouts/bumps.

My toe pieces are showing wear at the rollers (flattening out). We'll see how long they hold up. They're basically just being used as a touring binding now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I assumed it was the other way around, that adjusting the binding's AFD plate somewhere to a mid point to accommodate a Grip/WTR/Multi was the culprit.
    I'm have an Alpine Din (ISO 5355) sole on my Lange XT3, and I have to adjust the AFD all the way maxed out (topped out) to meet my toe with proper friction. There is now way of the stepped ladder of the AFD moving/slipping from that maxed out position.
    I don't ski my Shift mounted skis that often, but I have had zero issues with both mine and Mrs Dee's (both set to Alpine 5355 soles).
    Great Beta. Got XT3 and thinking of comitting to shifts on a regular use (not DD) resort/slack ski. I was also thinking of putting DIN 5355 plates on em. Sounds like they are better than gipwalks for AFD tolerance and retention? Or the oposite depending on who is using them and setting them up. The din tolerance argument makes sense, however the afd ramp angle looks like it would have a better interface/tolerance gap of 0.5mm (salomon spec card?) or 0.1mm (current shop guide?) with the gripwalk front sole plate.
    Last edited by altabrig; 03-29-2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: felt like it
    Set waves, powder days

Do not set up shifts with an afd gap! If the afd isn’t kissing the toe of the boot, expect bad results. Like all Salomon bindings they need to be set up very precisely, and not necessarily the way Salomon says. LeeLau’s instructions on newschoolers is the only way to set up a shift.

I would not trust them as an everyday binding for someone who skis a lot. When set up exactly right they are a great binding for bc charging.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Do not set up shifts with an afd gap! If the afd isn’t kissing the toe of the boot, expect bad results. Like all Salomon bindings they need to be set up very precisely, and not necessarily the way Salomon says. LeeLau’s instructions on newschoolers is the only way to set up a shift.

I would not trust them as an everyday binding for someone who skis a lot. When set up exactly right they are a great binding for bc charging.
    Its hard to want to jump on them after reading the last 7 pages of this thread. Between icing, brake deployment on the skin track, the forward pressure adjustment, and AFD adjust going between DIN and GW plates. The mixed 0.5mm, 0.1, or flush tolerance suggestions on the setup of the AFD boot interface also causes pause. LeeLaus Newschooler article is perfect, but he is adamant about the limitations. The dude in CH with the big bowl send shots paints a pic of a binder that rocks under the technical rider with the proper set up. Picked up a pair, probably going to go back since they would be 80% resort for my usage at this point in my domestication.

Thinking CAST/Pivot, mainly cause I don't want to pre-release anywhere. If its in the back of my mind the flow is gone. I can easily follow the Newschooler guide and manage the mechanical aspect, but the confidence may not follow. Sucks, cause as everyone on this thread can say, with a hybrid pin boot they make a better slack out the back of the resort skin option than the frames. Everytime I read a post by someone who says they never have problems, there follows a post by someone saying they started pre-releasing after two years of no pre-release riding with proper binding management/adjustment.
    Set waves, powder days

Hey all, wondering if anyone knows where I can buy parts for my atomic shift 13? I emailed atomic but they said for safety reasons I have to go through my local shop. My local shop says I have to go where I bought them but that's not possible since i don't live near there. I just need a rear heel plate... the plate that screws into the ski and the heel piece slides onto. Anyone know what other options I have? Thanks

I have 110 brakes and looking to trade for 100, setting up an old pair of groomer cruising skis.

Pm me if you have the other side of this trade. Thx

Fencejack, did you check skimo.com?