Page 76 of 134 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 3332
    Quote Originally Posted by scblurlt View Post
    Valhalla in Squamish have them as do comor in north Vancouver, both do in line sales

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thank you!
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Think the 100mm crampon would fit a 107mm ski? Same as brakes?

I don't believe so. Somewhere in this thread Spyderjon measured the actual width of the crampons but I suck at searching...

K thanks.

The 100mm crampon is 106mm internal face to face and the 120mm is 126mm internal face to face. Bend (if you can) at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    Curious if anyone else has had this problem?
    pissing on my bindings? yes... but now I widen my stance

Quote Originally Posted by m6527a View Post
    Is the current riser / heel module changeable so it would be possible to replace it with an Salomon/aftermarket piece that enables 2 riser levels (if those are released?
    No such product exist as of now, or for 2020 as far as I know. At least one individual has made a mod to have two risers, depicted previously in this thread

As to what Salomon/Atomic/Armada might release in the future - who knows. If enough people contact them then it might turn into a 2021 product, it might not. Time will tell.

And yes, if such a product is released - aka a new brake unit - then it would be very strange if the entire thing could not be retrofitted to older Shifts. Then again, stranger things have happened than non compatibility between different model years of products.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    The 100mm crampon is 106mm internal face to face and the 120mm is 126mm internal face to face. Bend (if you can) at your own risk.
    Having had crampons in hand, bending would be a hell of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Having had crampons in hand, bending would be a hell of a job.
    All the brands use super hard anodised aluminium so not only very difficult to bend they'll likely to crack pretty quickly if you try. Most of them have enough meat on them to grind a bit off the inside arms if that's enough to save going up a width.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Think the 100mm crampon would fit a 107mm ski? Same as brakes?

Hey el hefe and all; if u get frustrated in yer search for the right ski crampon and wanna save some bux...i've been rolling with this skin 'grip strips' mod since last spring and it really works quite well. It does introduce some drag into the system but if yer into more yo yo ski touring, rather than a lot of kick and gliding on flats, it's not really much of a negative at all. In fact on truly firm surfaces, it seems to glide better cause the skin plush has less pressure on the snow...i'm rolling g3 high traction skins so there's not much glide inherent in their design anyway.

Hot glue gun strips attached at tip rocker contact point, laterally close to skin edge. Another pair under the heel, and again at tail rocker contact point.

Ime, works WAY better than ski crampons for either straight up the fall lining, or, steep traverses on firm snow....you always have a few points of grip contact with the snow so when yer negotiating micro bumpy terrain, it instills much more confidence in yer steps cause there's really no, or very little, micro slips or backslides.

Gorilla glue high temp hot glue stix...grip strips. Use the glue gun to melt a vertical inner face to the strip for max sidehilling grip. As the things wear, they crack with folding the skin but this just increases traction cause they seem to segment into fishscale like profiles where the angle of crack facing back so you don't lose any glide, but the individual segments can flex and grip the kernals of refrozen corn or bite into windboard, etc... pretty cool unintended consequence.

If they start truly failing, just touch em up with the hot glue gun to restore o.g. status. I've had to do it a few times over lets say, 40 days or use or so?

Dunno about you guys, but i truly HATE ski crampons...the drag, the noise, the very limited narrow window of snow conditions effectiveness...garbage. The only time i bust em out is if i know for sure i'm bushwhacking through old growth where it previously warmed and the snow surface is clear ice frozen chickenheads...the hot glue grip strips don't cut it in those specific conditions.

Name:  P1100349.JPG
Views: 1240
Size:  162.6 KB

Name:  P1100350.JPG
Views: 1190
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  P1100352.JPG
Views: 1208
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  P1100353.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  70.4 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Woah that's clever, do you feel the hotglue adds a significant amount of unnecessary drag in regular conditions? Like, how noticeable is it?

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Woah that's clever, do you feel the hotglue adds a significant amount of unnecessary drag in regular conditions? Like, how noticeable is it?
    Truth be told, I haven't used really good gliding skins in eons...prolly since my o.g., Swiss Military issue, 1940's (?) some-kind-of-natural-animal hair skins my Grandfather gifted me back in 1987.

I'm primarily a yo-yo ski tourer...either go up...or down...if i gotta negotiate flat approaches, i employ efficient stepping, not kick and gliding...kinda have my own techniques. The G3 high traction skins don't really glide well in a bunch of different snow conditions so I really can't tell the difference in drag.

Having said that, i did experience a snow condition where the grip strips were exposed as a true liability. Found some sun baked, free water soaked snow surfaces yesterday interspersed with shaded cold snow and even with the glob stopper applied to the plush and hot glue, notable ice buildup occurred on the lateral portions of the grip strips and this dramatically increased drag. Had to stop and carve off the ice with my ski scraper and all was well again for the remainder of the tour. Gonna have to figure out how to solve this problem 'cause these conditions are a real thing in spring around here.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention; the skins were cut to fit 115mm waist width armada jj's and I use em on my 128mm waisted K2 Darksides... the mind blowing thing is even with much more exposed base and edge, traversing grip remains rock solid...kinda suspect enough hot glue protrudes to effectively incise the snow surface if the skis are tilted on edge to any degree...but for steep traverses I usually employ a novel 'crabbing' approach to work around micro features and stuff...keep the tips pointed up the fall line...it's actually super fun, kinda like rock climbing on slab.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-10-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Video of crabbing

Andrew McLean had posted something similar a few years ago. Here is a link to his blog: http://straightchuter.com/skinning-tricks-crabbing/

Do you skooch?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Video of crabbing
    Was all set to record some crabbing vid then an epic 45cm dump came along (and still nuking hard) and wrecked the melt freeze crust snow surface....sigh...back to ski tip extender testing.

Name:  52670778_10210745730438135_2445227539921108992_n.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  55.9 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100719.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	574.0 KB 
ID:	273452
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    Have around 4 tours on the shift now and mostly good things to say about them skiing. Not bad touring either with one exception: during a multi stop BC road trip where the skis and bindings spent each night in the roof box, both toe pieces froze such that I could not open the wings to engage the tour mode. Temps were about 0F. I cleaned all the ice everywhere I could reach with a multi tool and nothing improved. I noticed that the piston that moves in and out was not fully compressing so I concluded that there was ice build up internally. If I had some hot coffee I would have poured some on the binding. I didn’t. So I pissed on the binding and sure enough, they regained full touring function almost immediately.

Lessons learned: bring something to de-ice binding internals, bring your skis inside the night before you tour, or be willing to piss on your bindings.

Curious if anyone else has had this problem?
    I have noticed this happening to my bindings. Ive just never needed them to tour (luckily) when they froze up like this.

Regarding the icing up, has anyone tried a whole bunch of silicone spray or some such other?
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 03-11-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    ski tip extender
    Do tell more.
    Part of me has the gut feeling that’s some kooky shit, but part of me also wants to get a bit more tip float from renegades in deep low angle pow.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Do tell more.
    Part of me has the gut feeling that’s some kooky shit, but part of me also wants to get a bit more tip float from renegades in deep low angle pow.
    More speed

Shift template

Hey , Anybody out there who has a paper template for the s/lab shift binding? Prefferably pdf, true to scale. I found a sketch i jpeg but it seems a little bit risky! I'm going skiing this weekend and time is running out?! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ilcarote View Post
    Hey , Anybody out there who has a paper template for the s/lab shift binding? Prefferably pdf, true to scale. I found a sketch i jpeg but it seems a little bit risky! I'm going skiing this weekend and time is running out?! Cheers!
    No one has this. And there's definitely no way to search or look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    No one has this. And there's definitely no way to search or look for it.
    Yes give up now. Doomed!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    I broke my toe piece today. Was an easy up-down tour, nothing rowdy. Not sure how it happened (just noticed it tonight packing for a long weekend trip). Looks like the plastic casing just broke apart there.

Attachment 272629
    Binding warrantied, got a new one, smooth process.

Would it be possible to drill holes for the pins in a non tech boot?
    I tried to search through the thread but didnt get any hits.
    I know that is what CAST does, but I live in Europe and and it would be really expensive for the shipping.