Page 38 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Thanks for the specs, .5mm must be the thickness of the folded cutout from the manual. From a technically standpoint though, I wonder why there needs to be a gap? Wouldn't it make sense that the AFD should be flush with the sole?
    Most business cards are printed on stock that's pretty close to 0.5mm. In reality there's no gap between the boot and the AFD when the skier is standing in the binding as the boot will be hard down on the AFD. But that then means that there's a 0.5mm gap between the top the boot toe lug/welt and the underside of the toe wings - which is need for a smooth snag/friction free lateral release.

Just checked that recent template vs my inserts that are drilled for (and fit) the shift!! Make sure those bottom two screws on the toe are 30mm apart the previous template was 28mm and by some miracle when I drilled my shifts I widened them and came off unscathed. Whew.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1542074963.604761.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	255198

Name:	Image1542074979.955446.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	313.8 KB 
ID:	255199

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Just checked that recent template vs my inserts that are drilled for (and fit) the shift!! Make sure those bottom two screws on the toe are 30mm apart the previous template was 28mm and by some miracle when I drilled my shifts I widened them and came off unscathed. Whew.

Super clutch. That definitely needs to be a 30mm width - confirmed on my own insert mount. As anyone that has fucked up an insert mount knows a few mm matters.

What scared me about this mount (vs say pivots or dynas) was that you can't truly test fit the toe before drilling due to that "and now slide back the toe and drill more holes" thing. I use a paper template then confirm with the actual binding and the shift doesn't allow that

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Most business cards are printed on stock that's pretty close to 0.5mm. In reality there's no gap between the boot and the AFD when the skier is standing in the binding as the boot will be hard down on the AFD. But that then means that there's a 0.5mm gap between the top the boot toe lug/welt and the underside of the toe wings - which is need for a smooth snag/friction free lateral release.
    Very subtle but astute observation there about shifting the 0.5mm gap from below the boot to above the boot and it's affect on release. Wise.

I raised my toe AFD till it was v close. Figure I'll either die or not

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post

Oh, that's because it was actually 30mm on the template, but I forgot to update the correct text for the dimension. Or you really would be fucked! Jondrums caught my typo.

thanks for the updates on the template guys - much appreciated! Will come in handy when i mount mine

I have always raised the afd (lowered the toe) while looking at the toe afd interface against a strong light. When it just touches I call it good. If you put a card in there that’s how it looks after you pull it out.

Insert bad joke here

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I have always raised the afd (lowered the toe) while looking at the toe afd interface against a strong light. When it just touches I call it good. If you put a card in there that’s how it looks after you pull it out.

Insert bad joke here

Same. Sidenote I used this adjustment for lugged ISO 9523 at boots.

For smoothsoled or alpine boots I found that i had a bit of wiggle play in toepiece when adjusting as above so I would overtighten the AFD by like a half turn. This will probably result in nuclear war and is almost certainly not recommended but took out the play for alpine boots

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    For smoothsoled or alpine boots I found that i had a bit of wiggle play in toepiece when adjusting as above so I would overtighten the AFD by like a half turn. This will probably result in nuclear war and is almost certainly not recommended but took out the play for alpine boots
    Exactly my experience on most STH toes. Tiny bit of play when adjusted with the card. Have a notch more turn removes it.

consider when you put that wet snowy boot in a binding it will have some lubrication

usually I'm doing it on my bench so I will turn the screw in till I feel it bottom and back off half turn, pry between the sole and afd to look for a little clearance for a minimum clearance no bind adjusment
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Plastic flexes obviously. Also contracts in the cold. If AFD is 1/2mm or lightly touching in room temp, I think you're fine.

From playing around in the living room these are easier than my dynafiddles to use. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    consider when you put that wet snowy boot in a binding it will have some lubrication

usually I'm doing it on my bench so I will turn the screw in till I feel it bottom and back off half turn, pry between the sole and afd to look for a little clearance for a minimum clearance no bind adjusment
    Same here (daylight, or a piece of paper which is .003" or .08mm).

Also, as margotron mentioned, there's thermal expansion (you're measuring at room temperature), so you'll have more clearance in the cold.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

have got my shifts and mounted them up on my new qst 99's ready to go , only thing missing now is a pair of crampons , getting varying reports on availability , seems like there are some 120mm wide around but no 100mm , anyone sourced any

I'm probably the wrong side of the pond for you but I've got 120mm crampons in stock with 100's coming early Dec.

Took a buddy out on these a couple of days ago. Total noob and he did fine on them from truck to summit and down. Can't wait for mine.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Local ski shop says that agreement with Scarpa and Amer is in place for indemnification of Scarpa and Shift bindings. Mount by shop forthcoming.

My vulcans barely fit into the pins. This will take a while to get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    I found that the gap of the pins when the open lever of the toe is fully engaged is narrower than "standard" tech fittings. This meant that I have to insert the pins from one side then step in as opposed to simply stepping in as I would previously. It's not a big problem in firm snow but in deep pow it does add unnecessary fiddle factor.

Because of the quickstep fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by brown9 View Post
    Because of the quickstep fitting?
    Maybe? Don't a large amount of AT boots have those? Why not just have it open slightly wider?

Another data point on Shift brake width - 100mm brakes fit pretty much perfectly on the 108mm Faction 3.0, no bend needed.

I take what I said about the toe box being too narrow back. It's great after using it a few times. Everything about the toe is great. Is there an easier way to switch the heals from walk to ski mode? Push the brakes down? The lever is a bitch to pull up.

I take what I said about the toe box being too narrow back. It's great after using it a few times. Everything about the toe is great. Is there an easier way to switch the heals from walk to ski mode? Push the brakes down? The lever is a bitch to pull up.
    I used the handle end of my pole to engage the walk to ski mode lever. More leverage

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    Another data point on Shift brake width - 100mm brakes fit pretty much perfectly on the 108mm Faction 3.0, no bend needed.
    As another data point, I fit 110mm brakes on my 122mm Renegades and only had to bend a c-hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point