Page 39 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I used the handle end of my pole to engage the walk to ski mode lever. More leverage
    That doesnt even make sense? The space is so small you cant even get the bottom of a ski pole in there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181116_072115.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	383.8 KB 
ID:	255675

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    That doesnt even make sense? The space is so small you cant even get the bottom of a ski pole in there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181116_072115.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	383.8 KB 
ID:	255675
    See the tab on the side?. I use a BD pole handle ( it has a lip) to engage that. I don't shove the pole into the middle of that space

I take what I said about the toe box being too narrow back. It's great after using it a few times. Everything about the toe is great. Is there an easier way to switch the heals from walk to ski mode? Push the brakes down? The lever is a bitch to pull up.
    I've found that pulling the brakes up with my hand (As opposed to pushing the platform down) makes it a lot easier to get into walk. Still not the most convenient but pretty easy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    I've found that pulling the brakes up with my hand (As opposed to pushing the platform down) makes it a lot easier to get into walk. Still not the most convenient but pretty easy.

I dont have any issues putting it into walk. I just flip it over and step on it to lock it down?

I dont have any issues putting it into walk. I just flip it over and step on it to lock it down?
    I'm an idiot read that wrong.

Anyone get Shift mounted in New Hampshire yet and if so where? i'm in North Conway and can't find any shops thats have the jig yet. Know Fire on the mountain has one but Dovers a bit of a hike

Posted in NE roll call as thats more geographic specific but thought id cover all my bases

Greetings-

1st post.

Just put a touring package together consisting of

1. Shift biding
    2. Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130
    3. Navis Freebird (102 under the foot)

The gent at our local shop ordered a 110 shift binding. I'm concerned after reading thru the thread that this may be too wide for the 102... should I call the shop and let them know?

Any help would be appreciated-

Cheers,

K

Took my shifts out on some man made groomers today. Then swapped skis to a pair with STH2’s. Couldn’t tell the difference. So far I’m impressed.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by youenjoymyATskis View Post
    Greetings-

1st post.

Just put a touring package together consisting of

1. Shift biding
    2. Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130
    3. Navis Freebird (102 under the foot)

The gent at our local shop ordered a 110 shift binding. I'm concerned after reading thru the thread that this may be too wide for the 102... should I call the shop and let them know?

Any help would be appreciated-

Cheers,

K
    A 100 mm brake will fit much better on a 102 mm ski. A 110 mm brake will have so much overhang on a 102 mm ski, that even when stowed away in dh mode it will likely drag on the snow when arcing turns, and when stowed away in touring mode they will catch each other on the uphill stride.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I ended up putting 100mm brakes on 108 skis and the brakes scrape the edges a little but fit just fine. I could probably bend them some more to avoid it but not a big deal and they're actually nice and snug this way when carrying your skis.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    A 100 mm brake will fit much better on a 102 mm ski. A 110 mm brake will have so much overhang on a 102 mm ski, that even when stowed away in dh mode it will likely drag on the snow when arcing turns, and when stowed away in touring mode they will catch each other on the uphill stride.
    Ask them to order the 100mm. I just mounted 100mm brakes on a Wren 108 and they fit perfectly without bending. 110 brakes on a 102 ski will be too big. My 2 cents

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Does toe have vertical and side release in ski mode?
    So Solomon had a booth at the Rei pray for snow. They had a shift demo and it was nice to actuate it and use levers to see how the mode changes worked. Wild to think where gear has come over time.
    The weird one is the pin binding boot variations. More rounded toe area or pin location.
    Cody was crushing big lines on it in the TGR flick and in Sages movie as well. Curious to see durability over time.
    From an engineering perspective it’s pretty cool
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Does toe have vertical and side release in ski mode?
    So Solomon had a booth at the Rei pray for snow. They had a shift demo and it was nice to actuate it and use levers to see how the mode changes worked. Wild to think where gear has come over time.
    Yes. NS review describes how much. Almost the same as a STH toe

The lateral elasticity spec of 47mm is the same for both toes, but that's the first time I've heard of upward release at the toepiece for either the Shift or STH/STH2.

Just finished my first tour on the shifts. They performed flawlessly and we're probably even easier than my kindpins.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The lateral elasticity spec of 47mm is the same for both toes, but that's the first time I've heard of upward release at the toepiece for either the Shift or STH/STH2.
    Aye I misread. There's lateral but not vertical release

Only current binding with vertical toe release is look fulldrive toe, aka anything with a max din of 14 or less. No other standard binding has vertical toe release

Talking to the tech who mounted my Shifts for me (Tahoe Sports Hub in Truckee, CA, USA) he skied them all last year and commented that the riser left something to be desired for really steep skin tracks. Having clicked into them for the first time today, that seems like it will present some challenges. Anyone out there thinking of modding their bindings with an additional "one-up" where additional height can be achieved? If this has already been discussed, sorry for the redundancy.

Side note: great shop rec for N. Lake Tahoe folks. I haven't asked anyone else to mount my skis for me in years and this guy was super nice, helpful, and the work looks clean.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I hope the work looks good. Mounting using a jig and standard pozi ski screws could be done 98% blindfolded

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Received my pair today with 120mm brakes. I'm not sure precisely how they'll sit once they're installed, but nudged to their widest natural position, the plastic ends measure approximately 127.5mm between.

EDIT: on further investigation, one of the two wasn't deploying consistently; I think the one that did was mounted dead-center and the other was off by a hair. A bit of plastic trimming on the end of the brake arms resolved the issue.

As another data point, I ordered 100mm Shifts for my girlfriend's Cham 107s. I don't think the shop bent them to install (they didn't say anything when she picked them up), and they clear... just barely. Pretty sure 110s would've been rather large.
    Last edited by anotherVTskibum; 11-26-2018 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Slightly inaccurate info

I only went back a few pages on this thread so apologies if this was discussed previously. 40ish days in on my Shifts and on my last few tours I am flipping out of walk mode (ie. breaks are flipping down) when the riser is up on the climb. Mostly happening on one binding but has happened on both. Visual inspection reveals nothing out if the ordinary. Anyone else getting this?

Yea I’ve gotten that a fair amount, I even commented on it on newschoolers and got completely over looked by onenerdykid, the atomic boot dude.

Seems like they don’t want to admit any fault in the new binding even though the public clearly wants two risers and brakes that don’t deploy.

I do have to say no fault with the toes so far after maybe 10 days on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    I only went back a few pages on this thread so apologies if this was discussed previously. 40ish days in on my Shifts and on my last few tours I am flipping out of walk mode (ie. breaks are flipping down) when the riser is up on the climb. Mostly happening on one binding but has happened on both. Visual inspection reveals nothing out if the ordinary. Anyone else getting this?

Are your brakes catching on each other? Pushing down on the brakes (in tour mode) will pop them out. Pretty easy for brakes to catch on each other in the skin track especially on steeper side hills with how wide the brakes are.