Page 57 of 134 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 3330
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    have about 15 days on them, both resort and inbounds. ski great downhill, can't tell I'm not on a regular downhill binding if I don't look down at the bindings. Steeps, bumps, drops, you name it, all good. Touring is another story. single climbing bar is annoying. Brakes deploy often while touring, which is more annoying. Also don't care for the weight on the uphill. Personally going to go away from 50/50 setups and get some MTN's or Zeds on dedicated backcountry skis and stick to Pivots on my inbounds skis.

FWIW, it seems to me that the brakes sticking together thing is intentional. drives me nuts, though.
    Mtn seems a lot more solid to me

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Mtn seems a lot more solid to me

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

it is. I've skied the Zeds a ton this season on demo skis, if you take the brakes off they're good. The brakes like to break, though. Only reason I'd take them over the MTN's is microadjustable DIN and the fact that it's easier for me to get them at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ The side of an STH heel housing is steel (the structural part) on an aluminum track. Different class binding.
    Which brings us back to the point that a shift 916 steel (in red, per reckless toboggan) would be a sweet binding for those of us looking for a primarily inbounds option that'll hold up to abuse, but can still do sidecountry missions that are short enough that the weight doesn't matter.

Basically, Cast without the fiddle factor.

#RedShift
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

as someone mentioned in a previous post the brake release during touring can be prevented with rubber bands securing the brakes up....you're going to step out for downhill anyway so just remove the rubber bands then...sucks yes, sucks more if you don't?

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    #RedShift
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by scandy89 View Post
    So I'm trying to make a decision on bindings in the next couple days. I want the most downhill performance possible, lots of inbounds use, and lots of quick laps touring (so i've ruled out cast) think the shift is still a safe bet vs something like a tecton or kingpin?
    Not sure if you've come across this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Tectons/page4

One of my brakes disengaged from the rear and slid off the track while skinning leaving tiny marks on the plastic. There might have been ice build-up but nothing extraordinary. Fortunately I saw it and took care not to lose it. I skied down with it – the pressure from the boot heel kept it in place and when I got to the car it was a matter of couple of minutes to put it back together with a screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    as someone mentioned in a previous post the brake release during touring can be prevented with rubber bands securing the brakes up....you're going to step out for downhill anyway so just remove the rubber bands then...sucks yes, sucks more if you don't?
    There’s definitely two stages to fixing the brakes up for skinning and if not followed does mean the brakes will come down whilst walking ,
    Best practice seems to be lift brakes by hand to engage , then press down on the ski / walk piece to get a second positive click in and then I’ve never had them come down , suggest just trying this at home to get the feeling down . It may seem a faff but as you need to take off your skis when transitioning and it does make sense to clear snow from the toe and heel areas it really doesn’t add to much time , and will probably prolong the life of the mechanism as constant boot stamping is not ideal

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Go to a good bootfitter and they will choose the boot for your feet/requirements - and if it does happen to have Quick Step inserts read my posts #1016 and #1253 in this thread then go skiing.
    Sorry. But No need for boot fitter. Just follow your instincts and chose what is best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. Go to a boot fitter. Most people’s instincts about ski boot fit are wrong.

Also, the Shift brake will engage even if you do the click part. I know because I religiously make sure it clicks, it still engages on me often.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Which brings us back to the point that a shift 916 steel (in red, per reckless toboggan) would be a sweet binding for those of us looking for a primarily inbounds option that'll hold up to abuse, but can still do sidecountry missions that are short enough that the weight doesn't matter. Basically, Cast without the fiddle factor.
    From your lips to Salomon's ears....
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

You guys who think you need a 916 version do realize you have no evidence of enough failures to justify a heavier version. A few guys with broken bindings on TGR doesn’t really mean anything. If these things all start blowing up like the kingpin then sure you’ll have a point, but we’re not remotely close to that yet.

You also don’t have any evidence of needing 3 more DIN. Are you guys so really so good or so bad at skiing that you just have to have 3 more DIN?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    You guys who think you need a 916 version....
    You also don’t have any evidence of needing 3 more DIN. Are you guys so really so good or so bad at skiing that you just have to have 3 more DIN?
    You have any idea how hard a self reinforcing agglomeration of big boned dentists and cubicle -dwelling gear fappers can ski?

Pretty hard in some minds

Hey. I put them thru their paces pretty hard during a root canal yesterday.

You guys who think you need a 916 version do realize you have no evidence of enough failures to justify a heavier version. A few guys with broken bindings on TGR doesn’t really mean anything. If these things all start blowing up like the kingpin then sure you’ll have a point, but we’re not remotely close to that yet.

I don't really care about the DIN. Current Shift is fine for me in that regard.

But I do care about the durability. It's not like Salomon discovered some new magical material that doesn't break that they've only put to use in the Shift. The Shift weighs less and has more moving parts than a whole slew of previous Salomon bindings that are well known to not be all that durable. Literally every single binding that I've owned over the years that's held up to regular inbounds use is a high din, heavy, mostly metal thing. Lighter weight options maybe lasted a season or three, but eventually ended up in the trash.

So what I want is a version of the Shift that isn't disposable. We don't need more bindings cluttering up the landfill.

#redshift

So it has to be as durable as a high din metal clamp but also light enough to tour with and have pins for the toes? Would you also like it delivered on unicorns?

You probably know as well as anyone all ski gear is about some sort of sacrifice. If the Shift ain’t it for you just get a CAST setup and live with the fiddle factor.

Haha so it has to be as durable as a high din metal clamp but also light enough to tour with and have pins for the toes? Would you also like it delivered on unicorns?
    Pay closer attention. We already covered this. I don't care what it weighs. Even the current shift is a mediocre binding if your intention is to primarily tour with it. It's not particularly light by touring binding standards, only one climbing bale, have to take the ski off to transition, etc.

But the shift has great potential for an 80% inbounds binding that has the ability to do short tours / sidecountry excursions. Basically, a Guardian without all the downsides of a frame binding.

50/50 to 80/20 inbounds/out use is what the Shift is for. Until they start failing on a massive scale you don’t have any evidence they can’t work for that use. Just get a CAST setup.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Two rubber bands can fix this. Annoying I agree.
    Goddamnit everyone. The 50%+ of posts in the last 5 pages have been these problems:

1. my brakes catch on each other when I take the skis apart + my brakes hit the ski when I switch to ski mode
    2. my brakes release when skinning

Now I respect the desire for a $500 product to function flawlessly. And I recognize the frustration when a small component detracts from the whole. And I know I over DIY things. But these brake problems are solvable by anyone. Salomon tackled the big issues for you -- alpine ski mode downhill, pin uphill. You can fix the small shit.

Solution 1: Shave back the plastic on the inside part of the brake closest to the ski. It will affect the ability to 'brake' not at all. Hell, have you ever seen a Pivot brake?? lol.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1161.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	604.5 KB 
ID:	263686

Solution 2: shop rubber bands. $2. 11grams.

Name:	IMG_1165 2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	263685

Name:	IMG_1166 2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	263684

https://www.backcountry.com/swix-ski...xoC0F4QAvD_BwE
    Last edited by margotron; 01-10-2019 at 12:19 PM.

50/50 to 80/20 inbounds/out use is what the Shift is for. Until they start failing on a massive scale you don’t have any evidence they can’t work for that use. Just get a CAST setup.

You sound like the kind of person that's super excited about the salomon z-series.

Haha and you sound like chicken little.

For real though I’m nervous about my Shift setup after skiing 916’s my whole adult life. But I’m trying to be realistic about what it is and isn’t and if they aren’t breaking on a large scale I’ll keep pushing them.

get a CAST setup and live with the fiddle factor.
    fiddle factor? never played with these as a kid?

https://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/P...blocks-toy.jpg

I was quoting Toast - the “fiddle factor” with CAST is why he wants a 916 Shift

I’d like and will get a shift for some ski. All the little issues seems like there’s a work around. Still not sure about a few years use on the hill.
    Not much “fiddle factor” with CAST unless you leave them in your truck overnight with snow on them from the previous day. Isn’t there a few steps for a shift changeover? I bet the new cast is similar time for changeovers maybe seconds difference. If you’re not carrying a pack(quick safe zone sidecountry lap) it’s a pain carrying the toes though (I used my small bike pack for water, skins and toes)
    Tectons are great. Quick, ez, and decent weight. They’re not going to ski like an alpine binding on the hill regardless of the obvious advantage over other pin bindings(heel and toe). It’s a better pin toe but it’s not an alpine toe