Page 74 of 134 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 3329
    In soft conditions, conditions the bindings have been designed for, I've had moments where I forget I'm running my bc setup, and pros are obviously charging on these things, but lay em over on harder snow and really step on it.. and the response is...uninspiring. I wasn't expecting them to replace my pivots from the get go and even hedged my suspicions by not immediately mounting them up fat skis.. if I didn't hate the 4frnt ravens so much (another rant for another time) I'd still like the shifts alot more. Performance noticeably worsened with the wider skis.. running salomon mtn lab boots, head kore 117s, for what it's worth.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

^ Rubber sole AT bolts aren't exactly known for edging response either, so it adds up.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

^^^ this
    Complaining about performance of shifts vs pivots doesn’t make sense to me if you’re in mtn labs with the shifts. What boots you use in the pivots??

Maybe you’ll still conclude the shifts are noticeably worse but at least test them apples to apples with the same boot.

FWIW still early but no issues with my shifts so far. I don’t notice any difference in binding skiability between shifts and sth’s. The difference between lange rx and freetours is the issue for me however and I’ve run both boots in both bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    if I didn't hate the 4frnt ravens so much (another rant for another time)
    first I've heard anyone say that.

Mine sucked when I first mounted though. cupped base from factory.
    base grind and edge tune and they were totally different skis. try it

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    ^^^ this
    Complaining about performance of shifts vs pivots doesn’t make sense to me if you’re in mtn labs with the shifts. What boots you use in the pivots??

Maybe you’ll still conclude the shifts are noticeably worse but at least test them apples to apples with the same boot.

FWIW still early but no issues with my shifts so far. I don’t notice any difference in binding skiability between shifts and sth’s. The difference between lange rx and freetours is the issue for me however and I’ve run both boots in both bindings.
    Did you read my post? I'm not complaining about the performance. Just putting some info out so people don't assume they are the end all be all binding. After skiing them on different skis I think it would only really effect bigger guys like me and high edge angle skiers.

I have skied the head kore 117 with my mtn lab boots with a tyrolia demo binding.. and the shifts. Noticeablely better hard snow performance from the demo bindings.

Ravens mini review - 190cm @-1.5cm - tips folded up like mad on me in deeper settled bc snow. Skied crap snow and shallow pow great, chargers inbounds on harder snow. Lost a pow ski which forced the quiver change and also put way more inbounds use on the shifts until I replace my resort pow ski or find the fucker next summer

I have Shifts mounted on 190cm / 122mm underfoot skis. They drive just fine. Could be a weight thing, though, since I'm only 185 pounds.

I’ve got mine mounted on new Lhasa fats and ski Lange RS130’s.

Other similar skis have Salomon sth13’s and pivot 14’s. I cannot tell a difference.

I am not hucking my meat switch to the road but ski pretty aggressively. 6’1” and 175. Never tried them on a narrower ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Have shifts on 95, 107, & 116 wide skis - cannot tell the difference. I ski only pivots (5 pairs) and shift (3 pairs) right now and have no qualms with skiing the bindings any differently or the shifts softer. None.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Lots.

1800+ posts and we learned where to locate a mounting screw, adjust forward pressure and store the brakes in the touring position.

We also learned there are quite a few bros who "need" DIN 18 (realizing that there are a few Clydesdales out there who actually do).

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    well then those people should know who they are and they should have bought the CAST which is an awesume binding for those who need it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    a little misdirected here. i am confident in my shifts at 185 lbs and with only hill-banging elasticity-loving smash stly. mass isn't the only determining factor. you hate carbon bikes? set up properly they tend to rip.
    As a supersix evo hm and a bronson owner ive got no problems with carbon bikes. I wouldnt drop braille with the supersix though...

Relative mass is a pretty good indicator of use case.

Skied them again today with my fischer ranger 130s w/ alpine soles to take away the boot flex element also checked rechecked and triple checked the forward pressure and afd..and of course they skied way better than an AT boot, still feel a bit of understeer from the toe peice but it is manageable with just a bit more forward pressure in each turn. If anything productive can come from my musings what I think is happening more than the toe wings flexing is there is some play in the afd and it has some give when it really gets cranked on.. seems like something that could be improved in future generations.

Skied steep jump turns in mank snow.. heavy crud, chop, bumps, refrozen mank, even found some very settled pow.and then tomahawked thru some punchy snow in a runout to check the release function released very nicely on a 12 setting.

For me the performance is good enough that I don't want to be fucking around with the cast system. Since I get to ski every day and also be a whiny sensitive bitch about my ski gear... I will continue to have inbounds gear... and now have a bc setup I can run inbounds when needed.. not really earth shattering news.

Could that "understeer" feeling be less ramp angle than your other bindings? Try some 1/16" / 2mm / 3mm ABS or Kydex and longer screws to shim the heels.

I don't think so.. I think it's the afd.. and likely..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-02-27-20-44-06-1.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	979.2 KB 
ID:	271763

Example of Shifts Aren’t Alpine Bindings? Durtschi double eject on Shifts

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuX8eAvgw2J/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

More toe piece
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2C31605B-5247-4109-B5B2-3D1AAE4395EF.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	619.0 KB 
ID:	271794  

Well, after some touring on my Shifts my initial enthusiasm cooled down. The brakes keep to detach from the heal piece after I unlock them for putting the binding into ski mode.
    I’m following exactly the method shown here:

https://youtu.be/LDYD6YAdCzY

It happened already twice, first time yesterday with one ski and today with both skis. The binding seems to hold very well with the brake detached and moving freely on the track, though I wouldn’t like to use the walk mode like this so I was forced to ski down after the first transition. Pozi 3 screwdriver could be a solution as well but it’s quite unnerving to reassemble and assemble the heal in the field. Bummer because I really like how the Shift skis.

Am I too stupid to operate the binding? Are you all using different method to lock the brakes? Are my Shifts somehow faulty?

Slice two loops out of an old DH inner tube to hold up the brakes like gen-1 CAST? Easy and free.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Slice two loops out of an old DH inner tube to hold up the brakes like gen-1 CAST? Easy and free.
    No, the brakes aren’t coming down during skining. No probs with that up to now. The whole brake element detaches from the heal piece after unlocking the brakes for switching into ski mode and falls off the track.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    No, the brakes aren’t coming down during skining. No probs with that up to now. The whole brake element detaches from the heal piece after unlocking the brakes for switching into ski mode and falls off the track.
    Sounds like they are either not clipped into the heel piece or they are adjusted to far forward and are not holding onto the track

Quote Originally Posted by BlAikenstein View Post
    Sounds like they are either not clipped into the heel piece or they are adjusted to far forward and are not holding onto the track
    They are clipped into the heel piece and not to far forward. The heel piece is like 1 cm from the rear indicator so absolutely within the range.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

We also learned there are quite a few bros who "need" DIN 18 (realizing that there are a few Clydesdales out there who actually do).

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Clydesdale here, making the move to CAST after experiencing pre release issues mentioned in this thread.

Anyone know how the Shift mount pattern lines up with Pivots?

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    They are clipped into the heel piece and not to far forward. The heel piece is like 1 cm from the rear indicator so absolutely within the range.
    I have two sets of brakes - 100 and 120mm. The 120mm one keeps detaching exactly as you describe. Zero issues with the other one.

I reassembled the heels and locked the brakes manually and not with the heel of the boot like showed in the Haunholder video. This seems to work. The brakes didn’t detach. WTF.
    BTW, hard to understand why Salomon castrated the binding to just one medium sized riser. It’s like you can live with it but having a higher one would be nicer. I know this has been discussed in extenso before but what the heck, refreshing those topics may help.

Quote Originally Posted by flatland View Post
    Clydesdale here, making the move to CAST after experiencing pre release issues mentioned in this thread.

Anyone know how the Shift mount pattern lines up with Pivots?

Overlaying paper templates makes it look like mounting pivots 0.5cm forward but unconfirmed as of now.

I drew a Shift template based on @lucknau's revised template and overlayed it onto a Pivot. Note that I've never mounted a Shift, but for these purposes, I think the two toe holes shown as interfering will be very close to a vetted template - enough for you to know what you're up against.

As I usually draw this, the outer circles are the diameter of an insert and the inner circles are approximately that of a standard binding screw.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music