Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86
Results 2,126 to 2,128 of 2128
    Hmm, not familiar with passivating stainless, lol. Aluminum sure, but stainless...calling BS.

Not to bore folks to death, but stainless steel can actually rust if you paint it or coat it with something. Exposure to oxygen is what allows the chromium content to oxidize on the surface, creating a barrier to stop the iron below from oxidizing/rusting.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Found it! You're right, the threads are rolled. I'm a metal caster and I don't know shit about rolled threads, so I just assume everything is cast and then machined.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...BindingFreedom

LOL. It was you who posted the surface detail photo. I'm sure I read a statement somewhere about the surface roughness being grippier for epoxy bonding, but that would've been made irrelevant by the later chemical passivation.
    I'd guess they start with stainless rod as well, for reasons @1000-oaks stated

...Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Hmm, not familiar with passivating stainless, lol. Aluminum sure, but stainless...calling BS.

Not to bore folks to death, but stainless steel can actually rust if you paint it or coat it with something. Exposure to oxygen is what allows the chromium content to oxidize on the surface, creating a barrier to stop the iron below from oxidizing/rusting.
    Not following. How can something rust if it's coated? Wouldn't the coating cut off the oxygen supply? I thought that's why we prime and paint steel structures, engine blocks, bike frames, etc.