Page 124 of 124 FirstFirst ... 119 120 121 122 123 124
Results 3,076 to 3,094 of 3094
  1. #3076
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Mid-tomahawk
    Posts
    1,137
    I've got both Shifts and CAST in the quiver. Happy with Shifts on pow skis that get true 50/50 use (if not more touring time) but trust CAST more for super regular inbounds use, especially on firmer snow. Mostly wish CAST had an option that worked on a full rubber touring sole...

    Shifts worked well today inbounds, with alpine boots. Mostly very good snow, but mobbed into some buried refrozen garbage at irresponsible speeds a few times and didn't die.

  2. #3077
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    1,386
    Went 15ft to flat, looked actually like an uphill landing, on accident a week or so ago. Came to an instant full on dead stop slightly over tips. Stayed in both bindings. I was impressed.

  3. #3078
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,386

    The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

    Never mind

    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32

    2020/2021 (20/24)

  4. #3079
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    38
    Got a decent amount of dirt and grit in my shifts due to laziness after a small hike during spring conditions. I have cleaned out as much as I could, AFD slides freely, seems to be enough grease in places. But with all of the prerelease issues people have, wondering if there is anywhere that is more suspetible due to grit/dirt/mud? I am guessing its fine, doesn't require grease anywhere, and I will just put them away until next season and then just move on with life...but I am bored

    Also used my shift ski crampons for the first time this weekend and they were great. When conditions line up, they are just super nice to keep things simple/safe on a steep sketchy section

  5. #3080
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1
    Does anyone know if the release if affected if you can't lock the toe lever down in ski mode? My ski hit the lever and broke the plastic tab that holds the toe lever down today. Bindings aren't under warranty anymore either and I really don't want to but a new set of bindings if I don't have to.

  6. #3081
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    156
    I don’t know but I don’t think I would trust it not locked down in ski mode.

  7. #3082
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,568
    It skis the same if the lever isn’t locked down. Regardless they have the new devil horn plastic window discussed in the other thread which fixes the issue - kinda.

  8. #3083
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by skonig View Post
    Does anyone know if the release if affected if you can't lock the toe lever down in ski mode? My ski hit the lever and broke the plastic tab that holds the toe lever down today. Bindings aren't under warranty anymore either and I really don't want to but a new set of bindings if I don't have to.
    Providing the ski/walk block is fully forward/clicked-in (as indicated on the top toe) the binding will function correctly. Fitting the latest din window means that the plastic tabs will hold the tour in a slightly lower (better?) position (as per the lower toe).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Replacement Shift Din Window - amended.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	372560
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 04-24-2021 at 09:11 AM.

  9. #3084
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    390
    Anybody have suggestions on how I could go about getting a replacement DIN window for my shifts if I don't have the warranty (got them used)?

    I'd even pay for them if there was some type of parts catalog I could order from.

  10. #3085
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    156
    I have one spare you can have (no nubs) but I won't be in the same place as it is until next friday

  11. #3086
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by phatboy64 View Post
    I have one spare you can have (no nubs) but I won't be in the same place as it is until next friday
    Sent you a PM

  12. #3087
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,374
    Andy Hays almost got SHIFTed right off Planet Earth: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPEFobLh..._web_copy_link

    I am quite surprised these safety bindings have not killed someone yet (or have they?).
    sproing!

  13. #3088
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,334
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Andy Hays almost got SHIFTed right off Planet Earth: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPEFobLh..._web_copy_link

    I am quite surprised these safety bindings have not killed someone yet (or have they?).
    Looks like the right tool for the WRONG guy.

    If I were he, I'd unquestionably be on CAST ... before this incident.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  14. #3089
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Andy Hays almost got SHIFTed right off Planet Earth: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPEFobLh..._web_copy_link

    I am quite surprised these safety bindings have not killed someone yet (or have they?).
    What are you trying to say here - that we all should stop skiing since any part of our equipment can fail at unfortunate moments in something that could result in deaths, even if set up everything correctly? Or does that kind of logic just hold true for Shifts?

    I am assuming that your point is based on the assumption that the bindings were set up correctly and that the issue was 100% caused by the binding not doing what it is supposed to do.

    To be fair - I also disagree with Thoms point, that just seem like a hindsight 20/20 comment, though to be fair - I have no idea who Andy Hays is, how big he is, if he has legs of steel or chicken legs, or if he is able to maintain a perfectly set up pair of Shifts - so if your comment is based on any such knowledge, then my bad Thom.

    Also, I do not mean to imply that Shifts are either perfect or the end all be all, but posts like the one quoted above just makes me frustrated as they lack enough context to even appropriately be relevant as comment on the sitation it bases its then broad generalization on. So Shifts are a bit finicky to setup and/or does not always work as advertised? That is neither a novel observation nor something that is limited to Shifts.

    Anyway, I obviously need to fix my damned AAZ and its buzzer of death so I use my beloved Syncro, stop being annoyed and go back to just ignoring posts I find irritating

  15. #3090
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,876
    Someone likes shifts


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    you don't want no smoke.

  16. #3091
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    3,361
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Someone likes shifts


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No kidding

    Good luck to him, and i hope he doesn't ski exposed stuff.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  17. #3092
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,334
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    What are you trying to say here - that we all should stop skiing since any part of our equipment can fail at unfortunate moments in something that could result in deaths, even if set up everything correctly? Or does that kind of logic just hold true for Shifts?

    I am assuming that your point is based on the assumption that the bindings were set up correctly and that the issue was 100% caused by the binding not doing what it is supposed to do.

    To be fair - I also disagree with Thoms point, that just seem like a hindsight 20/20 comment, though to be fair - I have no idea who Andy Hays is, how big he is, if he has legs of steel or chicken legs, or if he is able to maintain a perfectly set up pair of Shifts - so if your comment is based on any such knowledge, then my bad Thom.

    Also, I do not mean to imply that Shifts are either perfect or the end all be all, but posts like the one quoted above just makes me frustrated as they lack enough context to even appropriately be relevant as comment on the sitation it bases its then broad generalization on. So Shifts are a bit finicky to setup and/or does not always work as advertised? That is neither a novel observation nor something that is limited to Shifts.

    Anyway, I obviously need to fix my damned AAZ and its buzzer of death so I use my beloved Syncro, stop being annoyed and go back to just ignoring posts I find irritating
    I know you were replying to @meter-man's provocative comment ...

    I might as well expand on my "right tool, WRONG guy" comment. While I don't think Shifts should be universally indicted, I do think that mounting them should be an informed decision.

    Me? I'd skip right over Tectons to CAST if I needed more binding. Something about the Shifts rub my Occam's Razor bias the wrong way. That's just me, and I wouldn't impose my opinion on anyone, other than to state it.

    I have zero experience with Shifts, and intend to keep it that way, so my opinion is based solely on extrapolating what I've read here, but it's not a hindsight one. The closest I came to mounting them was to have a passing curiosity about them - the Occam's Razor thing ...

    I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that Shifts lie somewhere on the continuum between Tectons and CAST. Whether this Andy fellow has chicken legs or not, he's a helluva charger (more than I could ever dream of being), and the way I see it, he's the type of fellow that CAST was designed for.

    I agree that shit can happen with any gear, but given all of the information available to me, I strongly suspect that the probability of a bad outcome being less for this fellow with CAST than with Shifts.

    It's possible that his Shifts were set up poorly, but we see a lot of comments about that. I don't know how to factor this in to the equation, other than the fact that we read about more Shifts being set up poorly than any other bindings. I know ... the counter argument is that you don't eliminate a Ferrari from consideration because it may be more difficult to tune.

    At the end of the day, if you're on top of a consequential line, the last thing you need to be thinking about is your gear.

    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-20-2021 at 12:19 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  18. #3093
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,798
    Some background, Andy Hays is a really high level skier and also not some big burly dude who should over-power this binding. That video is pretty bad - there's no way there should have been a release when there was. There are also some other really good skiers in the comments on his instagram post saying they've had the same thing happen. I know some of them go to the same shop as me (and Cody for that matter) - Tahoe Sports Hub - and can assure you they know what they're doing and aren't mounting them incorrectly. I'm guessing Meter-Man had his mounted there as well.

    I already sold my Shifts because even though I haven't had any incidents personally (aside from the touring related issues that are well documented in this thread) I just know way too many people who have had problems with pre-releases and I no longer trust them.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  19. #3094
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,374
    Yeah, what TahoeJ said. I wish they were more reliable; with better reliability, they would be a solid option. But when the binding sucks at...well....binding...no thanks.

    I really don't understand the arguments that this guy charges too hard for these bindings. What? They aren't 8-DIN bindings. They should function more or less like a 13-RV/DIN binding.

    Anyway, I'm not really into the navel-gazing. If the SHIFT works for you, sweet. But if you don't own them already, don't buy them. Do we really need another thincover/Salomon Quest-debacle to prove that the product is dangerous? Hope not.
    sproing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •