Page 119 of 124 FirstFirst ... 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 3079
  1. #2951
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,497
    I've had 3 prereleases on my shifts. All on powdays. 2 have been one ski releasing to the side on compressions and I've skied away. Another one was popping around in pow on the side of a green where I double ejected out the front to lawndart faceplant waist deep upside down... The lady troller behind me was bent over laughing having a hard time getting out the words "are you all good?".

    As far as I can tell they are set up correctly. I've checked at home after each instance. It's a real bummer to have to ski on eggshells with them.

  2. #2952
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I've had 3 prereleases on my shifts. All on powdays. 2 have been one ski releasing to the side on compressions and I've skied away. Another one was popping around in pow on the side of a green where I double ejected out the front to lawndart faceplant waist deep upside down... The lady troller behind me was bent over laughing having a hard time getting out the words "are you all good?".

    As far as I can tell they are set up correctly. I've checked at home after each instance. It's a real bummer to have to ski on eggshells with them.
    Something is not right, or you weigh over 200lbs. Try getting a good shop to check them out. Coming from a guy who cut his ass completely in half with a shift prereleasing, you don't have to ski on egg shells. They aren't Pivots, but they are pretty solid.

  3. #2953
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Missoula DMV
    Posts
    1,110
    Itís quite something to read through this thread while still kicking it on my F12 frame bindings.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  4. #2954
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    370
    Two seasons on my shifts and zero problems. Ski toured the last couple of days and brakes stayed up and toes stayed locked in walk mode. I have been with others that had to strap their toes and have seen pre releases. So many variables between which boot and set up. When they work they are fantastic for that they are

  5. #2955
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Something is not right, or you weigh over 200lbs. Try getting a good shop to check them out. Coming from a guy who cut his ass completely in half with a shift prereleasing, you don't have to ski on egg shells. They aren't Pivots, but they are pretty solid.
    6'4", 195lbs. Usually run a 13 din, am running 12 on the shifts. Doesn't ski like a 12 din. Back to the garage to quadruple check setup.

  6. #2956
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,790
    Question for the collective:

    The AFDs on my wife's shifts have wildly different values. Forward pressure is the same on each, but unless the AFD on her left ski is cranked way high, there is a ton of play in the toes. Pictures below are the left and right AFD heights. What gives here??

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  7. #2957
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Alta Wydaho
    Posts
    267
    Iíve had Zero issues on my Ď21 Shifts and they have prob 40-50 days mostly inbounds with a handful of side country laps. 190lbs at DIN of 10 and zero prereleases. Running Maestrale XTs and occasionally some LUPO 120s. I also have a pr of the original Ď18/19 Shifts on some Bent Chets and again zero issues. Something is wonky with your setup either actual adjustment or maybe even a boot issue.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #2958
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    984

    The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Question for the collective:

    The AFDs on my wife's shifts have wildly different values. Forward pressure is the same on each, but unless the AFD on her left ski is cranked way high, there is a ton of play in the toes. Pictures below are the left and right AFD heights. What gives here??

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    AFD in that first pic is not even close to being adjusted properly.
    Look at the gap above the toe lug. Boot is obviously sitting alot lower than other picture. No wonder there is alot of play.
    You got to pull back on the cuff to lift the toe before adjusting the afd height.
    Did it come out of a shop like that or did you MYOFS?
    Last edited by dcpnz; 03-02-2021 at 08:46 PM.

  9. #2959
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Question for the collective:

    The AFDs on my wife's shifts have wildly different values. Forward pressure is the same on each, but unless the AFD on her left ski is cranked way high, there is a ton of play in the toes. Pictures below are the left and right AFD heights. What gives here??

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    As dude above said, your toe lug is hooked on the little black lip that is lower than the toe wings. Look a little closer and you will instantly see the big gap above the toe lug.

  10. #2960
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    As dude above said, your toe lug is hooked on the little black lip that is lower than the toe wings. Look a little closer and you will instantly see the big gap above the toe lug.
    I see exactly what both of you are saying. Fixed it. Thank you a fuckton.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  11. #2961
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    No longer Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,071
    I find that the best way to avoid shift issues is to bring two pairs of skis - alpine clamps for the resort, ski down to the car, grab your skis with real tech bindings, then head out for a walk.

  12. #2962
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I find that the best way to avoid shift issues is to bring two pairs of skis - alpine clamps for the resort, ski down to the car, grab your skis with real tech bindings, then head out for a walk.
    How true

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  13. #2963
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,345
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I find that the best way to avoid shift issues is to bring two pairs of skis - alpine clamps for the resort, ski down to the car, grab your skis with real tech bindings, then head out for a walk.
    I believe this is called alpine touring. 50/50 does not exist in my mind. The right tool for the job! I get the marketing though and talk to everyone I see with them at the resort to get their thoughts Itís a mixed bag of responses, kind of like this thread


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32

    2020/2021 (20/24)

  14. #2964
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Not to be unduly harsh on tgapp here but if this is how shifts are routinely being adjusted in shops and garages its no fricken wonder theres a 2,000 post thread with people complaining about shifts falling off and prereleasing.

  15. #2965
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Not to be unduly harsh on tgapp here but if this is how shifts are routinely being adjusted in shops and garages its no fricken wonder theres a 2,000 post thread with people complaining about shifts falling off and prereleasing.
    yep so what happened was my wife took her skis to the resort (without me) and called me nearly in tears asking why she couldn't step in. i tried to talk her through everything on the phone, but after failing to help her, i told her to go to the rental shop and ask super nicely if a tech could look at her bindings to see what was wrong. they graciously "helped" her out, but when the skis came back, they looked as pictured above (two wildly different settings). it took me a minute, but as soon as i posted in this thread i figured it out and got both AFDs set properly.

    and re: other comments about dedicated alpine gear and touring gear, i am in 100% agreement. the deal is though, wifey wanted the exact same ski for hut trips and for resort days and for fitness laps. i couldn't get her onboard with the n+1 ski buying mentality, so here we are.

  16. #2966
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles/Mammoth
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Not to be unduly harsh on tgapp here but if this is how shifts are routinely being adjusted in shops and garages its no fricken wonder theres a 2,000 post thread with people complaining about shifts falling off and prereleasing.
    Maybe one should adjust the AFD before completely tightening the forward pressure? I could see a tight forward pressure causing this type of gap between the toe piece and top of the toe lug, because as you are raising the AFD you could meet too much resistance from the forward pressure pushing against the toe piece. Loosen it up a bit, and it may move more freely and eliminate the gap.

  17. #2967
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Mid-tomahawk
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Maybe one should adjust the AFD before completely tightening the forward pressure? I could see a tight forward pressure causing this type of gap between the toe piece and top of the toe lug, because as you are raising the AFD you could meet too much resistance from the forward pressure pushing against the toe piece. Loosen it up a bit, and it may move more freely and eliminate the gap.
    All you need to do is to shove your forearm into the cuff of the boot, and pull back to get the toe welt to sit where it's supposed to. Then adjust the AFD until it comes up to meet the boot sole. Easy.

  18. #2968
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,334
    As much as I wanted to love them, I freaking hate my Shifts - and purely from a pre-release perspective. Pre-releases on 4 different days (the first day with multiple incidents until I dialed them in). And yes I've done all the adjustments, memorized LeeLau's adjustment bible, massaged them, whispered sweet-nothings into their ears, and tried them with several boots. My last pre-release was in exposed terrain and led me to tumble through rocks. (Light Towers at Squaw; tumbling through rocks on that run killed CR Johnson.) Needless to say, I won't be using them again.

    Should I try and warranty the Shifts for a faulty AFD? It always seems to be the AFD drop in my experience, but I cannot see any visual evidence of a problem with the AFD system. I've been following this thread loosely from the beginning, but no way I can remember 119 pages of posts.

    Does anyone know why they chose to use a stepped screw for the AFD adjustment? Was that supposed to be better than a regular worm screw?

    Guess I'll be going back to my pre-Shift-MO so nicely stated by thefortrees - alpine binders for resort, touring binders for walks.
    sproing!

    FS: 2003 Lancelite 845 truck camper.

  19. #2969
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    As much as I wanted to love them, I freaking hate my Shifts - and purely from a pre-release perspective. Pre-releases on 4 different days (the first day with multiple incidents until I dialed them in). And yes I've done all the adjustments, memorized LeeLau's adjustment bible, massaged them, whispered sweet-nothings into their ears, and tried them with several boots. My last pre-release was in exposed terrain and led me to tumble through rocks. (Light Towers at Squaw; tumbling through rocks on that run killed CR Johnson.) Needless to say, I won't be using them again.

    Should I try and warranty the Shifts for a faulty AFD? It always seems to be the AFD drop in my experience, but I cannot see any visual evidence of a problem with the AFD system. I've been following this thread loosely from the beginning, but no way I can remember 119 pages of posts.

    Does anyone know why they chose to use a stepped screw for the AFD adjustment? Was that supposed to be better than a regular worm screw?

    Guess I'll be going back to my pre-Shift-MO so nicely stated by thefortrees - alpine binders for resort, touring binders for walks.
    Falling in light towers is no fun. Sell them.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  20. #2970
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles/Mammoth
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    massaged them, whispered sweet-nothings into their ears
    Oh the things we will do for our gear haha Sorry to hear these didnt work out for you! Its weird how there is such a dichotomy of experiences with this binding, and no concrete reason why some people are still having issues.

    Seems like a better adjusting AFD, or fixed AFD with 2 options that swap (like CAST), would solve a lot of the potential problems.

    On the other hand, I switched from CAST back to Shift because the whole AFD piece and white AFD teflon pad would sometimes break off (even after applying JB Weld). Seemed like a finicky design and unreliable. Although, I think the new version of CAST resolved these issues.

  21. #2971
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    .......Does anyone know why they chose to use a stepped screw for the AFD adjustment? Was that supposed to be better than a regular worm screw?.......
    Pretty sure that it'll be to avoid a patent violation - probably with Marker as they most likely patented the height adjustable AFD on their Duke/Baron/Tour bindings and then used the same design on their ID toes and now on the new PT. Until the Shifts, all of Salomons toe height adjustment models consisted on a fixed AFD with height adjustable toe wings, ie Driver, STH, Guardian, Warden etc.

  22. #2972
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    As much as I wanted to love them, I freaking hate my Shifts - and purely from a pre-release perspective. Pre-releases on 4 different days (the first day with multiple incidents until I dialed them in). And yes I've done all the adjustments, memorized LeeLau's adjustment bible, massaged them, whispered sweet-nothings into their ears, and tried them with several boots. My last pre-release was in exposed terrain and led me to tumble through rocks. (Light Towers at Squaw; tumbling through rocks on that run killed CR Johnson.) Needless to say, I won't be using them again.

    Should I try and warranty the Shifts for a faulty AFD? It always seems to be the AFD drop in my experience, but I cannot see any visual evidence of a problem with the AFD system. I've been following this thread loosely from the beginning, but no way I can remember 119 pages of posts.

    Does anyone know why they chose to use a stepped screw for the AFD adjustment? Was that supposed to be better than a regular worm screw?

    Guess I'll be going back to my pre-Shift-MO so nicely stated by thefortrees - alpine binders for resort, touring binders for walks.
    CAST Touring

  23. #2973
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I find that the best way to avoid shift issues is to bring two pairs of skis - alpine clamps for the resort, ski down to the car, grab your skis with real tech bindings, then head out for a walk.
    Exactly
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

  24. #2974
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Iíve had Zero issues on my Ď21 Shifts and they have prob 40-50 days mostly inbounds with a handful of side country laps. 190lbs at DIN of 10 and zero prereleases. Running Maestrale XTs and occasionally some LUPO 120s. I also have a pr of the original Ď18/19 Shifts on some Bent Chets and again zero issues. Something is wonky with your setup either actual adjustment or maybe even a boot issue.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is most people on shifts with no problems. Mostly or all inbounds. You would be better off and have extra money with sth2 or warden.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

  25. #2975
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    As much as I wanted to love them, I freaking hate my Shifts - and purely from a pre-release perspective. Pre-releases on 4 different days (the first day with multiple incidents until I dialed them in). And yes I've done all the adjustments, memorized LeeLau's adjustment bible, massaged them, whispered sweet-nothings into their ears, and tried them with several boots. My last pre-release was in exposed terrain and led me to tumble through rocks. (Light Towers at Squaw; tumbling through rocks on that run killed CR Johnson.) Needless to say, I won't be using them again.

    Should I try and warranty the Shifts for a faulty AFD? It always seems to be the AFD drop in my experience, but I cannot see any visual evidence of a problem with the AFD system. I've been following this thread loosely from the beginning, but no way I can remember 119 pages of posts.

    Does anyone know why they chose to use a stepped screw for the AFD adjustment? Was that supposed to be better than a regular worm screw?

    Guess I'll be going back to my pre-Shift-MO so nicely stated by thefortrees - alpine binders for resort, touring binders for walks.
    Same experience here. What I did: Sell them NOW and get good money. Get a touri g setup with MTN and resort with STH.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •