Page 88 of 134 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 3329
    Yeah, they're more finicky in terms of AFD adjustment and forward pressure than some other stuff, but if you get that dialed, they're really good. I haven't had any undue issues with the brakes deploying randomly as long as I make sure the cavity where the lever goes is free of snow before transitioning. A minor annoyance at worst.

Am I doing something wrong? Just swapped boots from freedom RS’s to Lupo ax’s. I need to adjust the AFD up a TON.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE4BC09E-853C-4FFE-A40C-7EB73AB6F0CA.jpeg 
Views:	244 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	303459
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by scandy89 View Post
    I need to adjust the AFD up a TON.
    One of the thickest AT soles out there, vs a thin ISO 5355 sole. Aren't you glad it moves that far?

Holy Shit, I just finished reading the entire thread and I don't even have my shifts yet.

I am super surprised that there has been no talk about using the same pair of shifts on multiple skis with inserts. I'm always looking for shortcuts for example I used to swap Dukes around on skis and saved time by getting extra sets of the heel tracks so those could stay on the ski. Swaps twice as fast because those screws don't have to come out.

It seems like if I could get a spare set of the plastic bit on the back two toe screws, and the front screw metal thingy - then at least the toes would swap with just two screws removed. Anyone know if I can get those parts as a replacement?

This is the image that gets me thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    Holy Shit, I just finished reading the entire thread and I don't even have my shifts yet.

I am super surprised that there has been no talk about using the same pair of shifts on multiple skis with inserts. I'm always looking for shortcuts for example I used to swap Dukes around on skis and saved time by getting extra sets of the heel tracks so those could stay on the ski. Swaps twice as fast because those screws don't have to come out.

It seems like if I could get a spare set of the plastic bit on the back two toe screws, and the front screw metal thingy - then at least the toes would swap with just two screws removed. Anyone know if I can get those parts as a replacement?

Not sure where it is, but someone posted a Skimo link that had Shift parts

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Not sure where it is, but someone posted a Skimo link that had Shift parts
    Just the little washer part. Not the toe plastic bit and rear track.

And I’m running with inserts on billy goat, Ceast and desist, and gunsmokes. Worked great all year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If you can get extra heel tracks, toe button and the little black piece you could insert Shifts with two screws per ski

Norseman also pointed out how much stress is put on the forward toe button, likely a good idea to helicoil or insert it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If you can get extra heel tracks, toe button and the little black piece you could insert Shifts with two screws per ski

Norseman also pointed out how much stress is put on the forward toe button, likely a good idea to helicoil or insert it as well.
    Oh, the heel comes off too?!?!? Sweet
    Salomon probably won't sell me those parts since that means I buy one less binding. Anyone holding a broken/trashed pair?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I used inserts, too... but sold the binding before getting around to putting the pattern in multiple pairs of skis.

IMO, using an insert to mount the toe button is a good idea, even if it's the only insert in the ski. That fastener takes a big load and the increased thread area could prevent a pullout in a crash or big air.

Those with inserts and Shifts: I'd suggest periodically removing the toepiece to check the condition of the toe button.

I put 12 days on my set. There was visible deformation of the aluminum where it contacts the steel backing plate of the toe. I think Salomon should make these of a harder alloy.

Name:	20191004_134459.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	303476

I have two sets of Shifts (Salomon and Armada) and 4 pairs of skis with QuiverKiller inserts for them. I use Binding Freedom screws and had their heads grounded to size by a local machinist for additional 10 bucks. No issues whatsoever except that one of my brake sets keeps falling from time to time during skinning. I have 3 brake sets (100, 110 and 120mm) and only the 120's fall occasionally.

Additionally, there are skis (e.g. Line Sick Day 114) that seem to use two strips of laminate with a gap between them under the topsheet making the middle weaker. Probably using an insert for the toe button with them is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post

Here's the part numbers you need:

- L4071100 pair of Shift toe binding front holders with screws (that's Salomon speak for the front toe studs).
    - L40751200 pair of Shift toe binding rear holders with screws (that's the plastic tabs that slide in to the rear of the AFD)
    - Or you can get a pair of complete AFD assemblies (which includes the L40751200 parts) which is part number L40751000. And just to confuse things, Salomon call the AFD a 'pedal'.

When I first examined the Shift I thought the above parts could be weak links and going to be prone to failure/damage so I ordered a load of them in at the start of last season but I've not had one request and I've sold a couple of hundred of sets of the binding.

The heel bases are not listed as spare parts.

Anyone here looking to swap their 110mm brakes for my 120? Located in SLC.
    Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

somewhere here in the topic I read that there were issues with Shifts and Tecnica Cochise. I have 1st version of Zero G Guide Pros with swappable soles, anyone here with these boots? Any issues using touring soles with shifts?
    Also, are there any additional tips for mounting and setting Shifts that are not covered in Lee's article on NS?

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    somewhere here in the topic I read that there were issues with Shifts and Tecnica Cochise. I have 1st version of Zero G Guide Pros with swappable soles, anyone here with these boots? Any issues using touring soles with shifts?
    Also, are there any additional tips for mounting and setting Shifts that are not covered in Lee's article on NS?
    Definitely mount with inserts. Had my toe piece rip out yesterday and had to post hole a looooong way as a result.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    Definitely mount with inserts. Had my toe piece rip out yesterday and had to post hole a looooong way as a result.
    What ski?

Most of the operating load is on the two screws under the end of the toe wings, not a bad idea to insert those, especially in lightweight skis.

Moarr details what ski did it pull out of? Who mounted? Was it seated correctly on front nubbins? Meaning did the nubbin pull out too? Or just middle 2 screws?

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scandy89 View Post
    Am I doing something wrong? Just swapped boots from freedom RS’s to Lupo ax’s. I need to adjust the AFD up a TON.

Name:	BE4BC09E-853C-4FFE-A40C-7EB73AB6F0CA.jpeg 
Views:	244 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	303459
    I think you should put the GripWalk sole blocks on the Lupos...

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    What ski?

Most of the operating load is on the two screws under the end of the toe wings, not a bad idea to insert those, especially in lightweight skis.
    ON3P Wrenegade 112. Not a light ski.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Moarr details what ski did it pull out of? Who mounted? Was it seated correctly on front nubbins? Meaning did the nubbin pull out too? Or just middle 2 screws?

Pics

Reputable shop in Bozeman. Pulled out of a ON3P Wrenegade 112. Just the 2 screws pulled out, the button/nubbin is still attached.

Reputable shop in Bozeman. Pulled out of a ON3P Wrenegade 112. Just the 2 screws pulled out, the button/nubbin is still attached.

Hmmm, can we see the bottom of the toe piece? IIRC similar situation happened and the toe was not seated in the nubbin so all the load was directed to the 2 middle screws.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Hmmm, can we see the bottom of the toe piece? IIRC similar situation happened and the toe was not seated in the nubbin so all the load was directed to the 2 middle screws.

Well those middle holes are arguably too close to the other set. A ski with a burly core like that really shouldn’t rip out if it was mounted right.

Im a well known hater of the shift but I wouldn’t say it has an especially week mounting pattern. I’m going to blame mounting issue or core rot on that rip out.

Isn't a full centimeter between screw holes the norm? That's what the shop I worked at years ago stuck to/what I've done on every ski I've mounted at home since. Maybe I'm too risk averse, but no way I'd have mounted those screws in that spot.

Did you pay for that mount? If so you might have a good argument to get it fixed for free.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 11-25-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Isn't a full centimeter between screw holes the norm? That's what the shop I worked at years ago stuck to/what I've done on every ski I've mounted at home since. Maybe I'm too risk averse, but no way I'd have mounted those screws in that spot.

Did you pay for that mount? If so you might have a good argument to get it fixed for free.
    Those Wrens have bomber cores, but since they don't have a metal top sheet (and the holes weren't robustly plugged with for example, fiberglass and marine epoxy), I'd never mount that close. It's asking for trouble.

With a robustly made plug and inserts, I never met a hole that was too close to another one - unless you lined up several of them in a row.

Have you seen some of @Splat's Swiss Cheese jobs?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-25-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Isn't a full centimeter between screw holes the norm?
    Maybe on alpinezone...