Page 49 of 134 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 3330
    I can't wait for the Look FK-Shift Turntable to come out.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 12-15-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Thanks for the detailed and fast response! This is great information. So -8mm would put me back 8mm from the centerline, or do I have that backwards?

My other option is replacing a setup that has jesters on them but I think that mount would conflict as well..

[QUOTE=Norseman;5530751]Lol, my study material this morning is similar.

Pivot at 315mm BSL, Shift at 305, both dead on the line.

Holes of interest (new band name?) are .32 inch apart on center, 8.1mm... close... but a couple mm movement would be comfy and not quite noticable on ski.

Let me see if I have this right. My bsl is 306, so if I set this up like my bsl is 296 I would be on centerline. But would have to adjust the rear of the binding to compensate for the difference (I believe I read in another post that there is 30mm of adjustment on the heal). Keeping inmind I would have to shift (no pun intended) 2mm to give me the 10mm center on center clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    No, the delta does change. You just have to measure from the base of the ski to the underside of the sole at the toe and the heel and compare that to the boot sitting on a flat surface (the boot sitting on a flat surface would be zero delta).
    You’re assuming there is a standard ‘sole-to-boot board’ thickness across all boots. Without any evidence and just based on experience I’d say that’s not true and boots with full rocker soles (extreme of 9523) have a greater difference between sole and bootboard in the toe than many 5355 boots, but the difference in the heel is less pronounced.

Had my first big all day tour on my Shifts, no complaints at all even with the single heel riser on the steeper pitches. Having to remove to switch modes wasn't that big deal as well. Overall weight of this setup on '18/'19 Bent Chetlers wasn't bad at all - actually felt lighter than last yrs QST106s w/ Tectons. Using a pr of Hawx 130 XTDs w/ Intuitions... - Thumbs Up!

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    You’re assuming there is a standard ‘sole-to-boot board’ thickness across all boots. Without any evidence and just based on experience I’d say that’s not true and boots with full rocker soles (extreme of 9523) have a greater difference between sole and bootboard in the toe than many 5355 boots, but the difference in the heel is less pronounced.
    I tried measuring when I came up with 17/24 mm stack height for tech boots but myself and Tom at Intuition came to that same conclusion. There's too much variation in boots. Eg what you said about boot boards or sole thicknesses etc.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I can't wait for the Look FK-Shift Turntable to come out.
    In a recent statement from Markus Steinke, the dude behind the BAM Project, the Look/FKS style pin binding (aka Pindung) is supposed to be available for the consumer starting in December. One may doubt that but at least there is some light at the end of the long tunnel to glimpse.

https://www.startnext.com/pindung/bl...9826.html#pnav

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

[QUOTE=phatboy64;5531312]
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Lol, my study material this morning is similar.

Pivot at 315mm BSL, Shift at 305, both dead on the line.

Holes of interest (new band name?) are .32 inch apart on center, 8.1mm... close... but a couple mm movement would be comfy and not quite noticable on ski.

Let me see if I have this right. My bsl is 306, so if I set this up like my bsl is 296 I would be on centerline. But would have to adjust the rear of the binding to compensate for the difference (I believe I read in another post that there is 30mm of adjustment on the heal). Keeping inmind I would have to shift (no pun intended) 2mm to give me the 10mm center on center clearance.
    Toe placement drives where your boot centerline falls. If you’re mounting a 306mm boot with a 296mm template and then adjusting the heel an extra 10mm back on the track, your boot center on the Shifts will be approx. 5mm back from your boot center on the Pivots. There’s no way to avoid that since the toe screws are where the conflict lies. You could always go the opposite direction and put the Shift toe forward of the Pivot, but that probably doesn’t make much sense for a touring setup.

On the point of the adjustment range on the heel, you have plenty of room. I mounted my heel track 10mm forward of the template to reduce the length of the mounting pattern (again, that doesn’t change the boot center because the toe is in the “correct” place.) It puts the heel piece on the second to last mark of the track with room for it to flex on the track without bottoming out.

Got it. I am going 10mm back with the toe piece...

Thanks for the great feedback!

I went for a very short tour yesterday. The brakes on one binding fell down one time. Not a big deal, but not ideal, either.

We've had "brakes popped off", "brakes fell down" ...can we just agree that they deploy and stick to that (thank you auvgeek)
    I've got nothing to offer other than semantics...

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post
    I've got nothing to offer other than semantics...
    I thought that was what we aimed for around here.

I thought that's all we ever hoped to achieve around here...
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post
    FIFY
    I have a PhD in semantics.

Well, actually that's not true, it's in semasiology.

Well that's not true either. Practically speaking, it's the study of the relationship between words and their meanings.

But it's more about the individual meanings of words, as opposed to the overall meaning of a passage.

Really it's a doctrine and philosophical approach to language and its relationship to thought and behavior, developed by Alfred Korzybski (1879-1950), which holds that the capacity to express ideas and thereby improve one's interaction with others and one's environment is enhanced by training in the more critical use of words and other symbols.

Although I think if it more as the meanings of words as they are used to achieve an effect; especially, the multiple meanings of words or the multiplicity of words having the same meaning; -- used in referring to the confusion that can be caused (intentionally or unintentionally) by multiple meanings.

It's kind of hard to define.

Actually, it's difficult to define.

I have a PhD in semantics.

Well, actually that's not true, it's in semasiology.

Well that's not true either. Practically speaking, it's the study of the relationship between words and their meanings.

But it's more about the individual meanings of words, as opposed to the overall meaning of a passage.

Really it's a doctrine and philosophical approach to language and its relationship to thought and behavior, developed by Alfred Korzybski (1879-1950), which holds that the capacity to express ideas and thereby improve one's interaction with others and one's environment is enhanced by training in the more critical use of words and other symbols.

Although I think if it more as the meanings of words as they are used to achieve an effect; especially, the multiple meanings of words or the multiplicity of words having the same meaning; -- used in referring to the confusion that can be caused (intentionally or unintentionally) by multiple meanings.
    so it may be semantics but then we came here some antics even if they are usually the same antics.

got it.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    so it may be semantics but then we came here some antics even if they are usually the same antics.

got it.
    ^^ what he said

This will potentially be more obvious once I get a look at things, but just in case...

Got some Shifts mounted up, two resort days so far and loving the way they ski. Going to pop some inserts in 2-3 pairs of skis so I can swap the bindings around for travel. What is the best way to address the foremost toe screw in regards to inserts? Got my last pair mounted at the shop since I was owed a free mount, so not really sure what things look like.
    I'm going to pop the bindings off tonight and just wondering whether I should keep that screw intact or whether that can get fitted into an insert as well.

Any Ideas on next batch release date?

Hey,
    I was just wondering if anyone knew around when the next wave of bindings would be released?

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    the BAM Project, the Look/FKS style pin binding (aka Pindung)
    Who is going to trust a Korean ski binding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Drazzamatazz View Post
    This will potentially be more obvious once I get a look at things, but just in case...

Got some Shifts mounted up, two resort days so far and loving the way they ski. Going to pop some inserts in 2-3 pairs of skis so I can swap the bindings around for travel. What is the best way to address the foremost toe screw in regards to inserts? Got my last pair mounted at the shop since I was owed a free mount, so not really sure what things look like.
    I'm going to pop the bindings off tonight and just wondering whether I should keep that screw intact or whether that can get fitted into an insert as well.
    Gentle knock the factory screw out of the toe stud (very little force needed) and replace with 8mm flat head M5's with their heads turned/ground down to 8mm in diameter to look like this:
    Name:  QK toe stud screw.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  317.0 KB
    A standard 9mm diameter M5 head will fit but you'll have to grind off the two small staked burrs around the edge of the stud so it sits flush - and I think it's easier to reduce the head diameter of the screws than doing that.

To the other home shop amateurs -

(If this has been covered, I apologize)

make sure you don’t over tighten the gasket screw on the toe piece. It’s not supposed to be flush, so if you’re looking to tighten until it’s flush, you could easily get a spinner.

I avoided a spinner (barely), but added some 24 hr marine epoxy and fiberglass to the glue in that hole. Just for the added peace of mind.

Attachment 260443
    Attachment 260445
    Attachment 260446
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    To the other home shop amateurs -

(If this has been covered, I apologize)

make sure you don’t over tighten the gasket screw on the toe piece. It’s not supposed to be flush, so if you’re looking to tighten until it’s flush, you could easily get a spinner.

I avoided a spinner (barely), but added some 24 hr marine epoxy and fiberglass to the glue in that hole. Just for the added peace of mind.

Attachment 260443
    Attachment 260445
    Attachment 260446
    Hey!

Is everyone paying retail for these right now?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Is everyone paying retail for these right now?
    What's a "retail"?

What's a "retail"?
    MSRP. Where can I get them cheaper? Don’t have pro form anymore.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer