Page 36 of 134 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    120mm crampons arrived this morning. They have an internal width of 126mm for those wanting to try and squeeze them on something a bit fatter. Super tough anodized alu so they are highly likely to crack of you try and bend 'em.

100mm not arrived yet but it's not unreasonable to assume that they'll be 106mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120mm Shift Crampon.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	254120

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    110 mm brake fits a 122 mm ski with no bending, but plastic on brake arms does lightly contact the edges (very lightly, like barely touching at all, brakes deploy completely normally and brakes don't catch when putting into tour mode or stepping into them in dh mode).
    What skis, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i got a jig at the shop
    we professionals use em cause theyre way easier and more accurate than paper templates
    stop by and ill mark/drill 4 u
    well you should be trying to make money by doing a lot of mounts in one shift

The way I see it I can get a shop to do it for 50$

or maybe once a year I spend all day doing it myself and save 50$
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by frankthegonzo View Post
    Template for the shifts yet that is accurate ?
    I have friends at a shop I used to work at, so we used the Shift jig and shared a 6'er on Friday after hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    What skis, out of curiosity?
    Older Renegade.

One of the guys I ski with is getting the same setup, and I think he settled on 110 mm brakes too.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

No friends with a jig, leaving for a month in thailand and want to mount them before I leave...looks like I'll practice with that template on one of the shit pairs
    the dude abides

I have friends at a shop I used to work at, so we used the Shift jig and shared a 6'er on Friday after hours.Older Renegade.

One of the guys I ski with is getting the same setup, and I think he settled on 110 mm brakes too.
    What shop RT...I think you're nearby local to me? Haven't really verified but hearing MEC is the only one in the area to have a jig so far.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    What shop RT...I think you're nearby local to me? Haven't really verified but hearing MEC is the only one in the area to have a jig so far.
    As far as I know (and from what I've heard from a few different shops), all the shops that are carrying in the local area have their jigs now.

Oh snap! TY
    the dude abides

As far as I know (and from what I've heard from a few different shops), all the shops that are carrying in the local area have their jigs now.
    So who do you know has it, you're Canmore right? Only MEC in the city has one so far, Monod's doesn't even have one yet.

So who do you know has it, you're Canmore right? Only MEC in the city has one so far, Monod's doesn't even have one yet.
    Ski West has their jig. They mounted my Head Kore 105 with Atomic branded Shifts about 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
    Ski West has their jig.
    Well I'm no dentist Kidding. I'll recommend Ski West as the ONLY shop for boot buying in the city but they charge way too much for a mount.

All the shops in the city that carry the Shift have their jigs.

Shops that have the jig include but are not limited to:
    Ski West
    Mountain Cultures
    Ski Cellar
    MEC
    etc.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 11-05-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Well I'm no dentist Kidding. I'll recommend Ski West as the ONLY shop for boot buying in the city but they charge way too much for a mount.
    Like a true dentist, I just bought new skis to go with my Shifts and then they throw in the mount for "free".

I always go for the free mount often they will mount for free even if you bring in a binding

But I also buy a lot of used skis, the tax has already been paid and somebody already mounted them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My old shop would mount for free if you bought a new ski, new boot or new binding or any combination of things.
    There is nothing worse that squashing a $500 boot sale by answering “that will cost you $35 to the question “will I have to remount my old skis?”.
    The only time we really charged for binding mounts was “Binding in Bag” and “I think all the screws are there”

Well, called my LSS and they had Shifts in stock, jig and two dedicated techs who did a clinic on these bindings. So, I went down there to buy a pair and get them installed with my plan. My plan was to use my Cochise 130's for resort skiing and transition to my Vulcans or my 2018/19 Maestrales for touring. I was going to convert a pair of Wailers from Speed Radicals. Fortunately, I didn't remove my old bindings as the Tech I met with who was going to do the project after seeing my boots told me my touring boots would not meet the requirements for this conversion so my plan was a no go. He also told me that he was surprised on how many touring boots out there don't meet the certification.

For me, not a big set back, just move forward and not take my Wailers resort skiing much and just use my other options. I would have liked the plan as it would have beefed up my Wailers and put them in play for some potential cat skiing too but oh well............

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Well, called my LSS and they had Shifts in stock, jig and two dedicated techs who did a clinic on these bindings. So, I went down there to buy a pair and get them installed with my plan. My plan was to use my Cochise 130's for resort skiing and transition to my Vulcans or my 2018/19 Maestrales for touring. I was going to convert a pair of Wailers from Speed Radicals. Fortunately, I didn't remove my old bindings as the Tech I met with who was going to do the project after seeing my boots told me my touring boots would not meet the requirements for this conversion so my plan was a no go. He also told me that he was surprised on how many touring boots out there don't meet the certification.

For me, not a big set back, just move forward and not take my Wailers resort skiing much and just use my other options. I would have liked the plan as it would have beefed up my Wailers and put them in play for some potential cat skiing too but oh well............
    Vulcans won't work with Shifts?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    Vulcans won't work with Shifts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Anything with quick step inserts is non compliant to 9523 (or 5355) and currently won’t be indemnified with shifts by Amer (or Wardens and Guardians for that matter).

Will they work fine? Probably, but it’s currently a sticking point. Marker doesn’t have an issue with SoleID and quick step inserts. We have seen this hawsh posh before with look and k2 pinnacles, it got resolved.

My guess is one of two things happen. Scarps pays for Amer to test the Shift with quick step insert boots and it gets approved to work, or Scarpa stops using quick step inserts in the future.
    Whaaat? All of Scarpa's press (and the major e-tailers like Evo, BC.com, Amazon) list the Maestrale RS as ISO 9523. I'm not a member of the International Standards Organization, so haven't read 9523 myself, but color me surprised.

And, if Vulcans (and presumably all Dynas) and all Scarpas are not 9523, then wtf is? More to the point, what touring boots can we use with the Shift?

Something is rotten in Denmark...
    sproing!

Ok, sorry to put this on a screamer as to what is compatible and what is not. I contacted another ski shop, Village Ski loft in Incline village and they checked with the rep for these bindings and was told that indeed the Vulcans and the Maestrales are compatible boots with the shift binding. So, going to get them to do the conversion I want. Too bad they just don't just list what boots are compatible.

Uhhh. The red ones are all compatible. Come on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Uhhh. The red ones are all compatible. Come on.
    Nice!

Except that one...

I don't know where the misinformation is coming but SHIFTS are compatible with all ISO 9523 Boots. ISO 9523 Boots are characterized by full rubber soles, rockered soles and compatibility with frame bindings as long as there is a sliding AFD plate...like the SHIFT has.

Boots that do not adhere to ISO 9523, like the TLT6 and Sportiva Statos , are not compatible because they do not conform to ISO 9523. The compatibility has nothing to do with the soles and everything to do with the toe and heel welts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    I don't know where the misinformation is coming but SHIFTS are compatible with all ISO 9523 Boots. ISO 9523 Boots are characterized by full rubber soles, rockered soles and compatibility with frame bindings as long as there is a sliding AFD plate...like the SHIFT has.

Boots that do not adhere to ISO 9523, like the TLT6 and Sportiva Statos , are not compatible because they do not conform to ISO 9523. The compatibility has nothing to do with the soles and everything to do with the toe and heel welts.
    Thank you for this @alkasquawlik, now everyone else can STFU and take notes from you about SHIFT boot compatibility and growing a great womb broom.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.