Page 47 of 134 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 3328
    A little more investigation into the AFD:

At a certain point while the AFD is being adjusted upward it will dramatically change from being flat-ish to being angled up toward the toe (the upward angle will eventually match that of a GripWalk sole.) If you don't continue adjusting all the way through the change in angle a hard push down on the toe of the boot can move the AFD back to flat, creating a huge gap between the sole and the AFD.

I don't know if the same issue is present for touring soles, but if you're in a GripWalk boot press down hard on the toe as you're adjusting to make sure you've made it all the way past the AFD's change in angle.

Old news by now. have a couple BC but first inbounds day on them today. Just bomber. Incredible. Every part an alpine binding

PSA.

Shift plates are now available to order for your jigarex.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Just came back from a hut trip. Collected 5-6 quick reviews from guys who lived in a nearby shed that week and skied Shifts. While positive sides are more or less obvious, I asked more about complaints. Everyone raged about ski brakes regularly popping off in touring mode. Lack of flat mode isn't bad but noticeable. Couple of days were extremely cold -15-25F and some reviewers mentioned overall difficulties with mechanisms freezing and getting stuck. My jetforce backpack test launch also failed btw. Some reviewers said they think second raiser should be higher

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    PSA.

I'm unable to add it to my cart but can for any other style of plate... Could they already be sold out?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    I'm unable to add it to my cart but can for any other style of plate... Could they already be sold out?
    Interesting. I just noticed them for the first time as listed. Didn't try adding them to cart.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    . Everyone raged about ski brakes regularly popping off in touring mode. Lack of flat mode isn't bad but noticeable. Couple of days were extremely cold -15-25F and some reviewers mentioned overall difficulties with mechanisms freezing and getting stuck. My jetforce backpack test launch also failed btw. Some reviewers said they think second raiser should be higher
    Ok, good intel.

Mounting mine this week.

I need to shim the toes of my shifts.

But I had them mounted at a shop since I didn't really have the spare time, so I didn't see how the cover over the rearmost two screws of the toe piece was attached.

I assume it just snap fits on.

Is there any place better than random to lever it off so I can get to these screws?

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post

But I had them mounted at a shop since I didn't really have the spare time, so I didn't see how the cover over the rearmost two screws of the toe piece was attached.

Is there any place better than random to lever it off so I can get to these screws?
    no. don't do that.

Unscrew the mid two screws. then slide the whole toe unit forward, which will expose the two rearmost screws. remove those, then you can pull off the toe and you will have access to the 5th screw on the little metal 'nub'.

check out Cody's instagram stories highlights. He did a pretty good series showing the install process. It's easy, just different.

Do you feel like there is too much ramp? I was worried about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    FWIW, I just skied one day on Wardens then the next on Shifts and I didn't have any problems switching between the two. I also used kingpins all last season.
    everything with the same pair of XT freetour boots.
    I wouldn't stress the ramp angle, except maybe if you have small boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    no. don't do that.

Unscrew the mid two screws. then slide the whole toe unit forward, which will expose the two rearmost screws. remove those, then you can pull off the toe and you will have access to the 5th screw on the little metal 'nub'.

check out Cody's instagram stories highlights. He did a pretty good series showing the install process. It's easy, just different.
    Thanks for that, The Solomon direction fro the box made it look like it snapped on. But it just didn't feel quite right to pry on it!

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    For me with 26.5 Hawx Ultra there is, but I am a total pussy with ramp angle.

I don't know if it's my biomechanics, or being a reformed leather booted telemarker but if it's not flat with an Alpine setup I'm kind of a spaz and my quads are toast in no time. I'm always fighting for fore-aft balance if the heel is even 5mm high. It really kind of sucks that it's such a big negative effect.

I know for many people it doesn't make a difference.

But as soon as I click in the XTD/Shift setup I can tell it's to high for me.

My first Dynafit set was a Comfort with like 15mm high heels, Thought I had a stroke or something. After that is when I started paying attention to ramp(or is it delta?) I can never keep the terminology straight.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Thanks for that, The Solomon direction fro the box made it look like it snapped on. But it just didn't feel quite right to pry on it!
    It does just snap on.

Edit: sorry. I may have misunderstood what you were saying. To be more clear, the rear plastic piece just snaps in. The front piece slides on.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    PSA.

Does this mean jigarex is now compatible with shifts? Prolly. Should learn wtf a jigarex entails

FWIW, I skied P18s with toe riser and shifts back to back, both alpine boots, and didn’t notice much in the way of ramp difference. What did we decide was the delta in mm?

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    I think the AFDs, and trying to correctly set their .5mm gap, are going to be an issue for people. After an hour or two I noticed one of mine had become noticeably loose. I adjusted it up a bit, but within another hour it was loose again. My guess is that I’m on the wrong end of one of the “indexed” parts of its adjustment range, so I’m going to raise it overly high without the boot in, lower it until it’s kissing the sole, and then lower it another quarter turn or so. Hopefully this fixes it. If not, I may try to get in contact with Salomon for a replacement AFD.
    Can you maybe explain a different way? I don’t think I followed. Especially the indexed part

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    FWIW, I skied P18s with toe riser and shifts back to back, both alpine boots, and didn’t notice much in the way of ramp difference. What did we decide was the delta in mm?
    The ramp angle is 7mm with touring boots. 1mm with alpine boots.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    The ramp *delta* is 7mm with touring boots. 1mm with alpine boots.
    Edit: I mean delta, not angle
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Shift delta with Mercurys/Vulcans is 8mm.

That's good news. I ski the same setup. Was hoping they would be similar as-is.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Can you maybe explain a different way? I don’t think I followed. Especially the indexed part
    The AFD can sort of stick in place as you adjust it, as if it is indexed at certain spots on the screw (it’s not, but feels that way.) You will turn the screw three times and the AFD will barely move, then another half turn will move it 2 or 3 mm.

My process to get it (hopefully) right after a day of fiddling:

A. If you’re in a GripWalk or WTR boot make sure the angle of the AFD has fully ramped up to be parallel with your sole. (I can’t say where that angle needs to be with a touring sole.)

B. Push down hard on top of the boot toe once you first have the AFD adjusted. If you’re in the middle of one of the those “indexed” adjustment zones, the AFD will drop back down making the boot loose vertically. If that’s the case, the AFD needs to be higher.

Nothing technical here but I just watched race the face on Red Bull TV and Daron rahlves skis the shifts and atomic hawx 130 AT boots in the whole thing, he doesn't switch out. Jerome Heightz looks to have Alpine binders. It was a smooth surface but still impressive nonetheless

It was a smooth surface, relatively speaking and so I asked him if he had any hesitation and he said no- he had tested them in a lot worse choppy conditions before committing to sending it down the slope for the film.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Shift delta with Mercurys/Vulcans is 8mm.
    What? I was off by 1mm?

Guys, was thinking about this on the drive to work this morning, and we MAY be thinking about Ramp and Stack Height incorrectly for the Shift. Does the height position of the toe lug in the toe piece change alpine vs grip walk vs wtr vs touring? And the moving AFD is just making up for the gap of thicker vs thinner sole types? Correct me if I'm wrong, but then doesnt the ramp delta stay the same despite the differences in stack height of the different sole types?

I cant test this until this weekend because my shifts are 300 miles away in Mammoth, but someone might want to take a look at this.