Page 97 of 134 FirstFirst ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 3327
    Confused as I'm 95% sure that the Shift toe design doesn't have upward release. Just lateral?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Set jig to length, drill toe holes, move jig rearward by as much offset as you want then drill heel holes. Simples!
    Redrilling ski for bigger boot. Was hoping to just move the toe.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Anyone have issues with the HUGE plastic ends on the brakes catching on their pant legs while skiing? Had a very concerning moment when skiing fast down the hill when the inside brake caught on my pant leg and it took me a few seconds to get it free. I took a dremel and removed the large alligator teeth down but still concerned that it may happen again. Seems that when you put your skis together it forces the brakes wider. Mind you this is a 100mm brake on a 108mm ski.

Never, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Anyone have issues with the HUGE plastic ends on the brakes catching on their pant legs while skiing? Had a very concerning moment when skiing fast down the hill when the inside brake caught on my pant leg and it took me a few seconds to get it free. I took a dremel and removed the large alligator teeth down but still concerned that it may happen again. Seems that when you put your skis together it forces the brakes wider. Mind you this is a 100mm brake on a 108mm ski.
    Haven't had that but I feel like a total gaper trying to separate my skis because the edges of the brake teeth make it necessary to push the brakes apart by hand instead of the normal slide the skis apart thing that I've done with every other binding ever. Am I missing something?

Shifts have been flawless, from resort variable to super deep pow to moderate touring days. Really impressed, they ski so damn well and the benefit of not having the stack height/weight/platform of Guardian/Dukes etc. make a big difference to ski feel.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Haven't had that but I feel like a total gaper trying to separate my skis because the edges of the brake teeth make it necessary to push the brakes apart by hand instead of the normal slide the skis apart thing that I've done with every other binding ever. Am I missing something?

Shifts have been flawless, from resort variable to super deep pow to moderate touring days. Really impressed, they ski so damn well and the benefit of not having the stack height/weight/platform of Guardian/Dukes etc. make a big difference to ski feel.
    It's not just you. To be honest, I really like how secure the skis are together once you click the brake arms like that. Far better than really loose ones that want to slip apart when you're carrying them on your shoulder.

I actually just put down the lever to put my skis in walk mode whenever I'm going to the gondola or somewhere I'll have to split them soon just to avoid looking like a doofus trying to split them apart. They snag on each other incredibly easily.

How are heavy users feeling about the long term durability of Shifts, as in are these a viable option for day in day out resort skiing with occasional tours?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    How are heavy users feeling about the long term durability of Shifts, as in are these a viable option for day in day out resort skiing with occasional tours?
    Skied inbounds on mostly black and double black terrain for probably 40-50 days on mine. No problems yet.

This is my mode of use. No durability issues so far. I’m in either pivots or shifts depending on ski. The binding itself is hardly ever a factor in my ski choice when on area.

80 days so far in 2 seasons with approx 50/50 inbounds/touring. No issues

I have no time on this binding but I watch and take note of how shit goes down, my take is that some people might struggle with the setup on the S-lab

I watched a couple of really smart/able guys I know one being an ex dh racer struggling with the toe piece for pre release on a rental setup at the hill, why the shop didnt set it up properly I can't say but that might have been a probelm also
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    80 days so far in 2 seasons with approx 50/50 inbounds/touring. No issues
    I take issue with having to take the skis off to transition at the top as opposed to being able to click in and rip skins, but they ski great in bounds, certainly fine for us light weights.

Toe prelease = AFD is not set correctly, generally more of a problem for Alpine block soles. I run the AFD all the way down with XTD's and have never preleased.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Sold mine after about 14 days of use.

Never prereleased, no problems with performance besides initial AFD and fwd pressure monkeying.

Couple issues:

The small engagement area of the toe wings was causing material deformation of the boot toe lugs (green Vulcans, grilamid).

The aluminum mounting button at the toepiece was showing deformation from its contact with the steel baseplate, presumably from relative motion during heavy ski flex.

I'd like to get on the v2 whenever it comes out.Name:  20200114_105621.jpeg
Views: 1540
Size:  56.7 KB

Edit... maybe this is old news, cant recall whether I've posted previously

Quote Originally Posted by Lind3n View Post
    I actually just put down the lever to put my skis in walk mode whenever I'm going to the gondola or somewhere I'll have to split them soon just to avoid looking like a doofus trying to split them apart. They snag on each other incredibly easily.
    Just be damn sure you don't drop a ski, or you'll look like even more of a doofus running after it.

Re: grinding down/smoothing the brake pads, just be aware that you may also be compromising function at that point. Likely not a big issue for soft snow, but on the East coast, I'd be careful about that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Never prereleased, no problems with performance besides initial AFD and fwd pressure monkeying.

Couple issues:

The small engagement area of the toe wings was causing material deformation of the boot toe lugs (green Vulcans, grilamid).

The aluminum mounting button at the toepiece was showing deformation from its contact with the steel baseplate, presumably from relative motion during heavy ski flex.

I'd like to get on the v2 whenever it comes out.Name:  20200114_105621.jpeg

Edit... maybe this is old news, cant recall whether I've posted previously
    I'm sure this has been asked but any updates on possible Shift 2.0?

RedShift (TM)

Boiler plate...boiler plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Is anyone making a toe height shim for the shift?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Couple issues:

Name:  20200114_105621.jpeg
    For balance: I'm in Mercury boots (same mould as Vulcans and also grilamid) as have no marks on the boot lugs. Just taken my toes off are there are only a few slight marks on the toe stud after 30 days. The longer screws are for use with toe shims.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shift toe stud with extended screw for shim.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	595.8 KB 
ID:	310722

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Is anyone making a toe height shim for the shift?
    I do but it's an easy and fun DIY job. Sourcing extended screws is more of an issue but it's a doddle if you use QK/BF inserts.

Name:	Shift toe shims.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	821.5 KB 
ID:	310723

Wife reports that it is tough to get into tour mode with the pins on one ski because the pins are too high off the toe plate so it is hard to line them up. Anyone else have this issue? I haven't

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Wife reports that it is tough to get into tour mode with the pins on one ski because the pins are too high off the toe plate so it is hard to line them up. Anyone else have this issue? I haven't
    Seems strange that it's only with one boot. Check that the underside of the boot sole is not fouling on the binding before the pins/inserts are aligned:

Name:	InkedToe pin clearance_LI.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	841.8 KB 
ID:	310779

Edit: accidental post

So, Shifts haven't had my interest, mainly 'coz I'm not hard on gear, so a Vipec/Tecton is fine for me, for a powder ski that crosses over.

A buddy who Teles flew out to my house, and we drove from Colorado to Utah.

He's demoing NTN bindings (22 Outlaws). Apparently, they weigh 3 Lbs. They're pretty complicated to my eyes as well.

Taken in this context (and for a burly dude who rips), the Shifts are amazing.

I get that our freeheeler brethren are trying to get their bindings closer to fixed heel performance, and I suppose I'm a bit saddened on their behalf that the diminishing size of the market means little development.

So, a 3 pound 22 Outlaw, or a Shift? Suddenly, the Shift looks simple, burly and efficient.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I only have a handful of tours on mine but I find them harder to step into in tour mode than Dynafit Radicals for sure, because of the height of the pins. Not a big deal and muscle memory will help I'm sure, but with the Dyanfits it just worked every time without thinking about it.

Are people finding too much ramp on the Shifts and wanting to shim? They feel great to me, and I hated the ramp on Radical 1.0's (shimmed the toe on mine).