Page 73 of 134 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 3327
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    None of these issues have ever been discussed in this thread, or anywhere else on the internet ever. Certainly not in the posts in this thread previous to, and leading up to, your post,... and especially not in a thread specifically titled, "Tecton vs. Shift and setup issues for the SHIFT."
    you may have taken the troll bait. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    you may have taken the troll bait. ;-)
    I know. I figured that when I first read the post and considered responding to a one post Jong that joined the same day.

But it's fun to unleash the sarcasm once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I've still yet to have a release at all in these. Haven't needed one yet, but definitely no pre-release issues. Skied them hard in deep inbounds terrain today, a few 10 foot drops and a few airs, hard turns at speed, they remain glued to my feet. Seems like there is a quality control problem with these and not everybody is getting the same binding, but the prerelease issue makes me really nervous because that was what I was worried about with these.

I have had afd issues, first day out after trying Cody's method and it seemed to hold up. A few more days should tell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    ... the prerelease issue makes me really nervous because that was what I was worried about with these...
    I think if you haven't been pre-releasing, then I'd guess that you probably won't.

For me it was happening pretty easily and often. So I figure if you'd have a problem, you'd have had it by now.
    I've adjusted my forward pressure and have had better luck, though I've only been skiing soft snow or just with my kid on those skis.

Digging the voile riser mod. I was following a steep track this morning and ended up being in my high ion riser 1/2 the time and was thinking how much it would have sucked if i was on the shift set up. This is a good cheap solution.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    My buddy added a climbing bar to his setup, wanted to check if there was any interference with the crampons I just bought and there is not. He says the only negative is the bar hits your boot in about the center, but hes digging it.

Attachment 271153

Attachment 271154

that looks cool !

what BSL was the boot, the reason I ask is that it might not work with any smaller of a BSL ?

in which case there are other add-on climbing bars ( G3 ?) which might have more clearance at the plastic mounting end ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Love riser mod. What are our options for aftermarket risers? I didn't know they existed

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by roverdoc View Post
    Digging the voile riser mod. I was following a steep track this morning and ended up being in my high ion riser 1/2 the time and was thinking how much it would have sucked if i was on the shift set up. This is a good cheap solution.
    You and I talked about this after I went up the shoulder of Silver Peak a few weeks back. I was on my Tecton high riser and pretty stoked about it after doing the same a few weeks earlier on Shifts. It’s relatively steep and with no other options it is what it is. As many pointed out earlier in this thread, sometimes a less steep track isn’t an option. And I’m all about that when it’s realistic, but sometimes it’s not.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 02-24-2019 at 09:26 PM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Agree. Assume gen 2 may have a higher rise option. Seems as if it would be easy to add and would satisfy one of the criticism of the design. I have been stoked on this binding. Tours well and skis identical to the downhill version. It is becoming clear however that set up and boot may dictate an individuals experience. Looked at my buddies set up today and quickly realized afd too low and forward pressure off. He had a couple of pre releases on our last outing.

Has there been a consensus on wether people w the pre release issue are running them with to much forward pressure or not enough. The set up would make me think not enough.....

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Has there been a consensus on wether people w the pre release issue are running them with to much forward pressure or not enough. The set up would make me think not enough.....

Seems to me like forward pressure is not enough on most of the issues. Also seems like the concensus is that the standard forward pressure "indicator" is inconsistent, some being correct and some requiring going more forward than the recommend. There was even a comment about a highly regarded shop recommending going further forward than the recommended line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Figured out my AFD issues!

Also, crampons just arrived. They take a bit of elbow grease to put in the first time around (I hope it’s just the first time).

Here’s a 120mm on 105 skis for those interested. For me, the excess width shouldn’t be an issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	271271

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1067.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	271270

that looks cool !

what BSL was the boot, the reason I ask is that it might not work with any smaller of a BSL ?

in which case there are other add-on climbing bars ( G3 ?) which might have more clearance at the plastic mounting end ?
    His boot is a 298, I think any smaller and this mod would not work

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I know. I figured that when I first read the post and considered responding to a one post Jong that joined the same day.

But it's fun to unleash the sarcasm once in a while.
    And sig. worthy sarcacm it was.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Love riser mod. What are our options for aftermarket risers? I didn't know they existed

https://ca-store.genuineguidegear.co...ing-wires-pair

this ^^ one might give a little more room

https://www.voile.com/voile-telemark...cessories.html

https://ca-store.genuineguidegear.co...-shim-extender

there are probably others but they will all run out of room to mount if you got a small BSL, you can't make the wire bail shorter but if the mounting bracket is shorter its is more likely to fit

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Since 3 days on my Shift/BC Corvus combo. Skiing the shit out of it inbounds and the usual sidecountry stuff at Arlberg. 1st day I was holding it back, now I just ski them like a Pivot. No prereleases up to now (but no releases either). Cranked the AFD up until no toe wiggle with me in the binding appeared. AFD seems to hold well. If it stays like that I‘m really impressed. Might be a game changer after all those shitty skiing pin binders.
    Last edited by roQer; 02-25-2019 at 12:53 PM.

stoked at the roQer report
    Similar here, some brake releases during touring but bushwacking so not unexpected and not a freakout issue ...
    Downhill is solid... afd, forward pressure all taken into account from the info here which also seems solid

https://ca-store.genuineguidegear.co...ing-wires-pair

this ^^ one might give a little more room

https://www.voile.com/voile-telemark...cessories.html

https://ca-store.genuineguidegear.co...-shim-extender

there are probably others but they will all run out of room to mount if you got a small BSL, you can't make the wire bail shorter but if the mounting bracket is shorter its is more likely to fit
    The Enzo bracket looks high quality. Going to see what I can find. In Montana we have some stupid steep ascents. Was on my tectons last weekend was absolutely grateful for the highest mode like, all the time

Skied 4 days IB and two days touring on shifts on bc100s. No problems, no brake releases, no walking out, no toes popping out in walk mode uphill.

I think the issue here is unrealistic expectations. The binding is not a full blown alpine binding, regardless of how you read the marketing copy - just look at the mass differences between the shift and the sth2. Treat it like a burly, fairly elastic touring binding and itll treat you well. Treat it like a pivot 18 and itll probably let you down. Compromises exist in every product...

Quote Originally Posted by jegsmith View Post
    I think the issue here is unrealistic expectations. The binding is not a full blown alpine binding, regardless of how you read the marketing copy - just look at the mass differences between the shift and the sth2. Treat it like a burly, fairly elastic touring binding and itll treat you well. Treat it like a pivot 18 and itll probably let you down. Compromises exist in every product...
    a little misdirected here. i am confident in my shifts at 185 lbs and with only hill-banging elasticity-loving smash stly. mass isn't the only determining factor. you hate carbon bikes? set up properly they tend to rip.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    a little misdirected here. i am confident in my shifts at 185 lbs and with only hill-banging elasticity-loving smash stly. mass isn't the only determining factor. you hate carbon bikes? set up properly they tend to rip.
    Great metaphor that also crossed my mind. Everyone has a different level of risk/reward tolerance.

Me? I get a creepy feeling at 45mph on a downhill (road bike) - wondering if a headset was correctly torqued, or alternatively, if I'm going to experience catastrophic fork failure at the worst possible moment.

Steel is real. Others will differ, and that's fine. This whole line of discussion is probably more suited to the Kingpin thread ;-)

... Thom

Galibier Design

The flex in the toe peice while skiing inbounds is enough for me to write these off as one binding to do it all. I can adjust to it and the retention of the binding seems to be there, as I haven't prereleased yet, but for me my backcountry setup is now acceptable to ski inbounds(instead of miserable i.e. dynafits) and good enough to be a one ski quiver for traveling, but no way is it what I want to ski everyday inbounds.

My shifts have felt way more flexy after moving them from a 104mm waist ski to a 117mm. To be expected I guess with the added leverage plus I'm a large human at 230 lbs and ski like an ex racer. I'd put the binding flex in the same camp as my clapped out marker dukes I use on my work rock skis. A huge improvement in backcountry skiing for sure.. but the holy grail? Not quite yet.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I wonder how many CAST sales have been generated from this thread - especially with respect to big boys like you ;-)

... Thom

Galibier Design

I wonder how much TGR bro/bra BS is generated on this important thread?

I wonder how much TGR bro/bra BS is generated on this important thread?
    Lots.

1800+ posts and we learned where to locate a mounting screw, adjust forward pressure and store the brakes in the touring position.

We also learned there are quite a few bros who "need" DIN 18 (realizing that there are a few Clydesdales out there who actually do).

... Thom

Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-26-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    Galibier Design