Page 127 of 134 FirstFirst ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 3329
    good question, those would be nice to have

Shifts are unique in pattern for the most part

I think I’m over mine. They skin fine, they just weigh a ton. I ski them inbound pretty much. Fun on powder days though. light and nimble skis in pow is a blast

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post

For the AFD, I'm not sure why they went with a dynamic adjustment instead of static, swappable plates. There are 3 standards right? So why not just make 3 standard static plates plates and have the whole AFD pop off (like it can today)?
    This is a nice idea but unfortunately there is no standard for the area below the toe on touring boots apart from a 1cm box below the inserts.

Sold mine for what I paid for them. Glad to not have to think about about them ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Sold mine for what I paid for them. Glad to not have to think about about them ever again.
    Just curious: what are you moving to now? Straight up touring binding?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Same. I'll be intrigued by gen 2, however, if / when that happens. Hopefully Salomon can move beyond the denial stage regarding the flaws. Still such a great concept and most of the way there.

Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven View Post
    I know you weren't asking me, but Tectons are awesome.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    This is a nice idea but unfortunately there is no standard for the area below the toe on touring boots apart from a 1cm box below the inserts.
    I didn't realize that, but now that you say it I guess it makes sense since touring boots don't typically need to contact an AFD. Still, they could have two statics and a dynamic version for tech toes...

I'm not too invested since I sold all my shifts, went full cast, and probably won't look back. However it's too bad because it's a great idea for a binder with a couple (serious) design flaws. Clearly there's a market based on how many shifts you see around UT resorts, and hopefully all those folks have a better experience than I did. Anecdotally, they don't - I ask most people how they like shifts and it seems pretty common to hear about pre-releasing from the heels, which is the problem that caused me to get rid of mine. I actually found myself worrying about pre-releasing while arcing turns on a groomer, which is when I realized it was time to get rid of them. It's no fun to be afraid while doing not scary skiing.

Hey folks,

I picked up a pair of shifts used, but the seller didn't include the screws. Grrrr.....

Does anyone know of a resource that describes all the screws needed? Looks like there are some proprietary pieces but that Skimoco has them?

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Hey folks,

I picked up a pair of shifts used, but the seller didn't include the screws. Grrrr.....

Does anyone know of a resource that describes all the screws needed? Looks like there are some proprietary pieces but that Skimoco has them?
    I can send you a Shift screw set if you cover the shipping cost.

Hey folks,

Definitely take Spyderjon up on his offer if you can, but for future reference there’s a nice Salomon binding part reference online here:

https://issuu.com/salomonnz/docs/ame...819_final/1?ff

Here’s the relevant info (Shift screw types) out of that:

Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven View Post
    G3 Zed 12s with Dynafit Hoji Frees 110s for touring, and Salomon STH2 WTR 13s with Full Tilt Classics for riding the lifts. I’ve been fine running separate setups for 35 years, and have accepted that a do it all setup doesn’t work and isn’t necessary, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I can send you a Shift screw set if you cover the shipping cost.
    You were the other resource that came up on first searches. Thanks a ton for the hookup - sent you a pm.

And thanks lucknau. What do you search to find that? I looked for Salomon technical manuals but just found the installation and adjustment instructions, no parts list.

Speaking of screws, I have been trying to get 1 toe lug screw from skimo.co and should get an email if they get one in...Anyone know of another source? I tried googleing the part number from the catalog link and no luck...I guessing shops are the only ones who can order parts?

You were the other resource that came up on first searches. Thanks a ton for the hookup - sent you a pm.

And thanks lucknau. What do you search to find that? I looked for Salomon technical manuals but just found the installation and adjustment instructions, no parts list.
    I'd check w/ Skimo too in Cottonwood Heights
    edit: just read 406s post. Looks like they have all the screws but toe lug available through website

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    knowing how the shifts will react, and what parts to expect to fill with snow, etc, has meant that i haven't had much problems the last couple of days.

yesterday was a 6 lap day in heavy slightly wet snow.
    i still have to bang them against each other, and the breaks into touring mode often takes two attempts, but i have been having a lot more success.
    ... or maybe my standards are lower now that i haven't used my kingpins for over a week.

it is unfortunate that i foresaw these issues as soon as i saw the promo video, before they even started mass production. i cannot imagine that they didnt consider the issues too.
    hopefully next gen of shifts is better.
    The snow has melted here, so I thought I'd better provide an update.

I had approx 50 days inbounds and 40 days backcountry on the shifts in the end.
    My terribad first week on them was not repeated throughout the season. I think due to a combination of less sticky snow, But probably mostly because I knew what to expect. I habitually bash the snow out of the troublesome spots before I try to do anything that would compact it and stick it in there. It sucks to have to do, but Kingpins have similar bad spots too, so its not exactly unique.
    I thought that I'd miss the extra riser height that other bindings provide, but that wasn't the case. I found the Shift's riser more convenient to put up and down so it turned into a positive instead.

So now I no longer dread touring with them, I'm happy skiing inbounds with them, and even tho I've already destroyed my knees it's nice to think there's a little bit of a safety net to prevent more damage.

I've seen at least 5 people skiing the resort in them without the toe piece clipped down. Seems like some missing education out there :P

Ill be very interesting to see if they bring out a gen2 model.

Ok mags...sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I didn't know how to search for this topic in this monster thread...and when I searched "brakes," I think I broke the TGR forum search function....

One thing I have not been able to get over with these bindings, is how damn annoying they are to shoulder. The brakes do not lock together very well, which makes short bootpacks, and even the damn walk from the parking lot annoying as all get out. So much so, that I just started carrying a voile strap in my pocket and strapping them together before shouldering them, which adds a good 5-10 seconds to my "bootpack readiness" routine, which as we all know, can mean 5-10 people in front of me getting to the goods faster.

Am I alone???? Anyone found a fix???

Quote Originally Posted by WILLSKIFAST View Post
    Ok mags...sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I didn't know how to search for this topic in this monster thread...and when I searched "brakes," I think I broke the TGR forum search function....

One thing I have not been able to get over with these bindings, is how damn annoying they are to shoulder. The brakes do not lock together very well, which makes short bootpacks, and even the damn walk from the parking lot annoying as all get out. So much so, that I just started carrying a voile strap in my pocket and strapping them together before shouldering them, which adds a good 5-10 seconds to my "bootpack readiness" routine, which as we all know, can mean 5-10 people in front of me getting to the goods faster.

Pretty much always have a strap with me. I find it's better boot packing with all my skis, not just the Shift.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I think how well the brakes lock has a lot to do with how much clearance they have to the ski edge. The arms aren't stiff enough to lock well if there's a bunch of room, but if they're more snug they work fine. Especially if they're snug and then you file down the little nub on the plastic part of the brake. I've got 110 brakes bent very slightly wider to fit a 128 ski and they lock really well.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I think how well the brakes lock has a lot to do with how much clearance they have to the ski edge. The arms aren't stiff enough to lock well if there's a bunch of room, but if they're more snug they work fine. Especially if they're snug and then you file down the little nub on the plastic part of the brake. I've got 110 brakes bent very slightly wider to fit a 128 ski and they lock really well.
    I've got 110 brakes on a 106UF, so I guess that explains why i've got so much space.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I think HAB is correct.
    Mine, when new, locked together so well they were really annoying. I had to literally pull one of the breaks aside so that they could come apart.
    Only now after 50 days or so are they softening up a little and come apart easier. But still sometimes they're a bit of a pain. I'll have to file down HAB's little nub ;P
    My breaks only just fit over the waist of the skis I have, they scratch up against the sidewall and edges going up and down.

Perhaps you could bend yours together a bit?

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Have the same issue with 110mm brakes on 102mm skis. Bending didn’t do too much. I must say it quite annoys me. I always carry a strap with me. At the time I was one of the first shift orders and the 100mm brake was unavailable in my region.
    Otherwise, my shifts work well. No pre-releases, levers staying in place, … only the wide brakes are easy to step on. I need wider skis lol

Saw a salomon rep skiing on a new QST 106 and new shift binding today. Heel looked a little different, brakes were really tucked in. Toe looks like it functions the same but slightly different look. I imagine there’ll be some info coming out after the new year.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    Anyone know where a maggot can find the new din windows with the tabs????

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I went to the shop that mounted mine. Owner had said they had 50 sets that the rep had given her. Shop guy was thinking of charging but I said they are gratis. Pretty easy to take off ( need 1/2 wood chisel , screw driver flat head too thick) and very easy to put replacement on.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

To date, I haven’t had any of the issues that a lot of folks have. Today that changed. The lever wouldn’t stay locked on either binding going uphill. Lost both skis several times on the way up. I finally used a ski strap looped through the lever hole and back to my lowest boot buckle. This is bullshit, but it saved the day and I’ll always carry two with me now (haven’t read the whole thread, but I’m guessing other people have done this too).

Then both brakes dropped down. Since I had successfully rigged the levers with straps, I let them drag and just dealt with it. At least my skis were still on my feet.

Once I got to the top and started to transition, I noticed the brakes were kinda half deployed in ski mode. I’m sure there was ice and snow build up, but I couldn’t get it out and finally just stomped into the things. Released on the way down after saying “there’s no way I’ll make it to the bottom without releasing” lol. Shame on me.

I’ll concede that Shifts are a huge innovation for touring bindings and applaud whatever engineering went into these things to push things in the right direction, but holy shit man. Fuck this. I’m really considering going back to Dukes after today. I’ll take the weight penalty for a working binding. Maybe gen 2 will be better and maybe (likely) I’m just a bitch.

I hope other people have better luck.