Page 84 of 134 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 3328
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Good stuff, Greg. Were your reference points the workbench plane and the plane formed by the binding contact points at the toe and heel
    No, boot soles were just flat on the table, so contact points at AFD plate and heel were not taken into account - but of course would be if the boot were in the binding.

You sure about that Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    The bottom sole method isn't really reliable IMO. For example, it'll have different measurements if you have your WTR or Alpine Soles (on the same boot, like the Lupo) even though the delta is the same. Top of toe lug is more consistent across boots
    This is correct Margo. If the toe wings stay at the same height, and the AFD moves, then the binding is not changing the ramp delta of the boot when adjusting. Toe lug position remains at the same height regardless of how thick the toe soles are. If the toe lug position doesnt change, neither does the ramp delta.

I've measured this in the Shift, using the toe lug method. Lupo with Alpine soles has the same ramp delta as Lupo with thicker Grip Walk soles. If you did the same measurement while measuring from the bottom of the sole to the base of the ski, it would show the grip walk sole to have about 8mm more ramp delta than the alpine sole, which is incorrect in this case.

On a flat surface for Lupos, the position of the toe lug with grip walk sole would be higher than alpine sole.

The vast majority of my toe shimming work is based upon a shim thickness determined from a Neutralizer Balancer which uses a flat horizontal surface as its initial reference hence the need to measure from the ski base.

I've just gotten word back from Solomon that they will warranty my shifts. I had major pre-release issues particularly from the toe piece (heel released easily too but likely just due to low elasticity).
    I asked what was the reason for warranty and was told "I have received an update following your request and unfortunately we will not be able to provide you with a report following the inspection of your shift bindings. "

Kind of a disappointing answer but maybe that's common. Overall happy with Salomon's warranty service.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I put a combination square flat on the zappa inside the boot, flush against the heel of the boot. You can then accurately measure the angle of the upright (or the top upright if you can't subtract 90) with your phone app.
    I try to get a base line value with my alpine boot, then a good measurement of it in my alpine binding (P18s) and then I can shim my touring bindings accordingly.
    Attachment 279728
    That’s not a combination square.

Footloose in mammoth refused to mount the shifts because my boot didn’t have the iso number stamped on it, I had to look it up on the website but they said it wasn’t good enough. Boots are cr radicals. Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Idyllwild View Post
    Footloose in mammoth refused to mount the shifts because my boot didn’t have the iso number stamped on it, I had to look it up on the website but they said it wasn’t good enough. Boots are cr radicals. Wtf?
    Dude honestly footloose is really horrible with binding mounts in my experience. I've had two friends mount their skis there this year and they both came back improperly setup - one had the wrong forward pressure and the other was setup for WTR on an alpine sole. Highly recommend you go elsewhere... like P3 or Mammoth Mountaineering if they'll do it. If you're in LA, definitely go to SkiNet Sports, can't recommend those guys enough.

Footloose is pretty solid for bootfitting though.

If you scroll up you will find I had the same dealeo there as well. I think Mammoth Mountaineering is the only place in town for Shift mounts. Kitteridge doesn't have a jig. I ended up doing it myself, as I should have done from the start.

There are a tech or two that know what they are doing at Footloose, problem in this case is their insurance, especially as new owners, as one of the new owners explained to me. The other problem is some of the guys know what they are talking about and some don't, but act like they do and are convinced they do, which kills me.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    If you scroll up you will find I had the same dealeo there as well. I think Mammoth Mountaineering is the only place in town for Shift mounts. Kitteridge doesn't have a jig. I ended up doing it myself, as I should have done from the start.

There are a tech or two that know what they are doing at Footloose, problem in this case is their insurance, especially as new owners, as one of the new owners explained to me. The other problem is some of the guys know what they are talking about and some don't, but act like they do and are convinced they do, which kills me.
    That's troubling. They used to be the obvious choice in town for just about anything.

Mammoth Mountaineering is my go-to shop now. Incredible staff. Otherwise I get my work done by Ian at SkiNet in LA. Dude's a pro.

They were very courteous but I guess they are tied liability wise?

Serious question - do ski shops get sued when people blow up their knees or get spiral tib fractures?

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Serious question - do ski shops get sued when people blow up their knees or get spiral tib fractures?
    I don't have statistics, but we all know that peolple sue sue when they feel like it, and a diligent lawyer will access the binding indemnification list and published boot lists.

Kind of like asking how often this slope slides and how you feel about skiing it. Different folks heaving different risk tolerance. Same with shops & mounting.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I'm not sure how often, but yes, it definitely does happen. 'Cause America.

Yep. New owners, new insurance. Likely feel like they have to abide by the letter of the law due to liability.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Just throwing this out there... Hoji insta post has his boots in a Shift binding and it looks like he tried to tag the Shifts in the comment (I say “looks like” because he said #HollyShift instead of #HolyShift).

Separately, will reiterate that after skiing these all season, I am really happy with them. Pre-release issues generally solved with AFD and snow-in-heel clearance; don’t mind the single riser (for what I do - mostly hiking around the Davos Klosters area); feel safer being chargier on the downhill in the backcountry; with a bit of early season training, I can keep up with most people I ski with that are on lighter gear too (so long as the tour doesn’t go much beyond 1500 vert meters / 5,000 ft).

Typical whistler kid. Great skier can’t spell worth a fuck.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Can’t remember if this was covered already, but any changes for next year? Seeing some deals that are compelling.

no changes

Can’t remember if this was covered already, but any changes for next year? Seeing some deals that are compelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    no changes
    Thank you. Inquiring minds wanted to know...

Anyone mounting these with the BF/QK inserts? Any problems with the center screw loosening up or other issues?

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post
    Anyone mounting these with the BF/QK inserts? Any problems with the center screw loosening up or other issues?
    No issues at all after >40 days of use split between two skis that I BF’d.

Just make sure to use proper epoxy and you’re good! One of the skis I used cheaper stuff in a pinch when my gflex ran out and had the insert back out when swapping skis. Used hard wood dowels — re drilled and installed fresh BF inserts that ski saw another 25 days on the new inserts an all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    One of the skis I used cheaper stuff in a pinch when my gflex ran out and had the insert back out when swapping skis. Used hard wood dowels — re drilled and installed fresh BF inserts that ski saw another 25 days on the new inserts an all is good.
    Curious why redrilling was necessary, unless the threads in the ski tore out. Wouldn't it be possible to just smear some fresh epoxy into the tapped hole and a bit on the insert threads and reinstall it?

So I think it had to do with how the shift mounts... given the sliding/locking mechanism when the insert failed I majorly buggered up the hole when removing/extracting the spinning insert (on those two main center screws you need to physically have the whole screw back out to remove the binder - in my case the insert would just spin not allowing me to remove the screw) . Did not want to take another chance on it pulled all inserts and started fresh!