Page 42 of 134 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 3332
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Strange. 100mm on my 116 underfoot BGs deploy just fine.
    Assuming that you've not bent the levers or trimmed the plastic tabs then I'd say that you have 110's not 100's.

I measured a load of brakes from my stock in all of the widths and they all measure 8mm wider than their stated width, that's measured from the internal faces of the black plastic tabs.

Depending upon the sidewall steepness and how rounded the sidewall/topsheet junction is of the specific ski being mounted I've not been able to get the brakes to reliably deploy on ski that are 7/8mm wider than the stated brake width.

Obviously with a light tweak of the levers and/or trimming of the inside faces of the plastic tabs can give more room.

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    I'm noticing that the undersized brakes (100mm brakes on 108mm skis) are not properly deploying when I step out of my skis. The brakes get caught on the topsheet...which could suck in a fall. Maybe the reason the brakes were designed so much wider than the listed width? This happening to others? There's so much chatter in this thread about concerns when skinning, but that might need to be balanced against inconsistent brake deployment.
    Same thing on 100 brakes/107 skis. I’m just going shave a little plastic off the arms to fit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So we feel good about 110 brakes for a lotus 120? Have a pair of Vipec blacks NIB I was going to put on the lotus but having shifty ideas now

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Assuming that you've not bent the levers or trimmed the plastic tabs then I'd say that you have 110's not 100's.

I measured a load of brakes from my stock in all of the widths and they all measure 8mm wider than their stated width, that's measured from the internal faces of the black plastic tabs.

Depending upon the sidewall steepness and how rounded the sidewall/topsheet junction is of the specific ski being mounted I've not been able to get the brakes to reliably deploy on ski that are 7/8mm wider than the stated brake width.

Obviously with a light tweak of the levers and/or trimming of the inside faces of the plastic tabs can give more room.
    Nooope 100mm and you are correct I put a slight bend on them tharrrr breaks but they deploy just fine.

Second day skiing them, yesterday was on gunsmokes 114 today was on my goats 116 (inserts ya bish). ) I went as small as humanly possible given the complaints of brakes deploying when touring (catching on each other) but lesss be real here don’t exactly plan on touring much on the 189 goats.

Side note. They things are freaking incredible. They ski exactly to every other alpine binder I have skied. Delta seems to be perfect. Came out of them one time; but I am glad I did. Was leaning into by skis when the run I was skiing suddenly went to cat-track I dumped over the handlebars and appropriately both binders released.

No more chatter transmitted to my legs that frequently happened with the KPs.

Super satisfied. Now we see how durability stacks up. But so far Solly gets an A+ from my perspective.

I've never seen a product get so much attention in all the magazines, social media, etc. It has been the hottest thing in skiing in a long time...A lower DIN version is coming out next year

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    A lower DIN version is coming out next year
    Lower din? Why? Seems they should make a 16din version for the gnarbros.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    So we feel good about 110 brakes for a lotus 120? Have a pair of Vipec blacks NIB I was going to put on the lotus but having shifty ideas now
    I out 110 brakes on my Renegades (122) with a very minor amount of bend to get the plastic to clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Lower din? Why? Seems they should make a 16din version for the gnarbros.

Maybe you didn't notice that the gnabros are using the current current version version and are good with it.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Maybe you didn't notice that the gnabros are using the current current version version and are good with it.

... Thom
    Ohhh what up double double talk talk.

Erhmmm glad you caught the sarcasm there. Wasn’t the whole “you can’t use the max din” debate put to rest with the shift?

Regardless, I questioned the poster because I had only heard of rumors of a higher din model not a lower.

Last edited by SkiLyft; 11-26-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft;5509044
    Regardless, I questioned the poster because I had only heard of rumors of a higher din model not a lower.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=84222
    TGR Forums[/url]
    You can let those rumors die a quick death right now. I've mentioned this before but early on we athletes pushed, pushed and pushed some more about a 16 DIN version. While the other guys on the team, who tend to be about 30-40 lbs at minimum lighter than me, seemed to be okay with 13, I especially was pushing for 16 DIN. What we kept hearing back was the engineering and design restricted any sort of 16 DIN spring. I was bummed at first but figured I'd give it a go. I'd be getting more comfortable skiing on the Warden 13 by that point anyway. So I cranked the DIN to 13 and haven't had a single prerelease or any weird "too-low-of-DIN" problems for my fat ass. So I've been pretty sold on 13. That combined with the fact it seems like their is some sort of engineering impossibility of a 16 DIN version of this binding, I don't think we'll ever see a 16 DIN SHIFT.

Side note. They things are freaking incredible. They ski exactly to every other alpine binder I have skied. Delta seems to be perfect. Came out of them one time; but I am glad I did. Was leaning into by skis when the run I was skiing suddenly went to cat-track I dumped over the handlebars and appropriately both binders released.

No more chatter transmitted to my legs that frequently happened with the KPs.

Super satisfied. Now we see how durability stacks up. But so far Solly gets an A+ from my perspective.

This makes me so happy. Despite me being totally sold on them, I can't quite explain how fucking nervous I am about releasing these into the wild...I mean hell, Salomon's marketing has my god damn face plastered all over them so I guess I'm a little tied in with this one. So hearing the stoke flow, FKNA.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Same thing on 100 brakes/107 skis. I’m just going shave a little plastic off the arms to fit

I did that Saturday night to the gf's (100mm nominal brake on Cham 107). The brakes cleared just fine once they deployed, and one of them deployed consistently, but the other was getting hung up before expanding to full width. A little bit of Dremel work to make more of a diagonal on the bottom of the brake arm means that they now just slide off the side and deploy quite easily. I think the one that worked well enough was mounted dead-center and the other one was off by a hair.

I will note that if you get them clamped together thoroughly, at least with a narrower-than-recommended brake, they can be a bitch to get back apart (I've had to pop the brake arms on the top ski free of the lower ski's brake arms manually).

They're snug but seem to deploy cleanly on my Animas:

They do retract above the topsheet:

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I will note that if you get them clamped together thoroughly, at least with a narrower-than-recommended brake, they can be a bitch to get back apart (I've had to pop the brake arms on the top ski free of the lower ski's brake arms manually).
    This happens with just about every Salomon binding I've ever owned; not a big deal if you know to use two hands to open the brakes to separate the skis. Time for a stone grind, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    This makes me so happy. Despite me being totally sold on them, I can't quite explain how fucking nervous I am about releasing these into the wild...I mean hell, Salomon's marketing has my god damn face plastered all over them so I guess I'm a little tied in with this one. So hearing the stoke flow, FKNA.
    It's awesome how much you care. Wish more people would act like their reputations were on the line when designing, releasing, or backing a product.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Most quickstep boots aren’t going to be used with shifts anyways.
    The early mockups of the Hoji Free boot have MasterFit inserts. It'll be interesting to see if they choose to instead use original inserts to conform to MNC like the Maestrale XT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hojifree.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	257320

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpringle View Post
    The early mockups of the Hoji Free boot have MasterFit inserts. It'll be interesting to see if they choose to instead use original inserts to conform to MNC like the Maestrale XT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hojifree.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	257320
    Please tell me these are real.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tomo View Post
    Please tell me these are real.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    Go listen to the Blister Gear:30 podcast. They are real.

Quote Originally Posted by hardkorps View Post
    Attachment 256621
    110's fit the 118's perfectly no bending necessary.
    Also new version of paper templates were spot on

Can you please link to newest version of template?

People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Having released an app to the App Store where my face and name were completely hidden, which was jarring enough, I cannot imagine lol. Few ways better to cut a man down than public feedback

Thanks

I skied on the Shifts today for the first time. There seems to be some vertical play in the toe. If the AFD is raised enough to eliminate the slop there is too much friction between the bottom of the boot sole and the AFD (when sliding a card in and out). If the AFD is low enough to get just the right amount of friction with a card there seems to be a little play between the top of the boot toe and the binding. Has any one else experienced this?
    FYI, I'm using Tecnica Cochise 130s with the hiking sole. I expect the different sole blocks may have something to do with it, and have not tried it with the standard sole blocks.
    Also, the AFD adjustment seems to be indexed somehow. On typical alpine bindings the AFD is infinitely adjustable. But that doesn't seem to be the case with this binding. If my AFD could be adjusted to sit just between two of these indexed settings I think that would resolve most of the issue.
    Your thoughts?

I used my Shifts with Tecnica Cochise 120's... no problems / play at all.

So something Ive found with a few pairs of the bindings is when you adjust the AFD toe height it seems as if it sticks and you have to push or pull it up or down. Once you release it from that sticking point it adjusts nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    So something Ive found with a few pairs of the bindings is when you adjust the AFD toe height it seems as if it sticks and you have to push or pull it up or down. Once you release it from that sticking point it adjusts nicely.

Yup. I’ve mounted probably 60 pairs of them, they all have this issue. It’s like there’s a catch point and the AFD will fall if you adjust the screw past a certain point, then you have to turn it a bunch to get it back up to where it was.