Page 41 of 134 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 3330
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	256621
    110's fit the 118's perfectly no bending necessary.
    Also new version of paper templates were spot on
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

X2 on the paper template being spot on

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It is a real issue if you own or work in a shop, as Salomon/Atomic/Armada MNC bindings will not be indemnified. If you ask a shop to mount a pair of Shifts and hand them a boot with QuickStep inserts, they will (assuming they are up to date on the compatibility issue) probably tell you no.

If you "mount you own fucking skis" and want to give it a shot, or file off the ridges and try your luck, that's on you.
    To me this seems like a huge oversight that I don’t quite understand. It doesn’t really matter to me if scarpa and Amer come to an agreement if it doesn’t solve the initial problem. If I can’t use my new maestrale’s then this is a deal breaker for me. It seems like quick step inserts are used frequently so not taking that into a binding design/testing doesn’t make sense to me. If I’m missing something, please feel free to clue me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    It seems like quick step inserts are used frequently so not taking that into a binding design/testing doesn’t make sense to me. If I’m missing something, please feel free to clue me in.
    QuickStep inserts are only used by Dynafit and Scarpa. Presumably Amer chose to test with boots they could access easily, i.e. Salomon and Atomic which have the original Dynafit inserts.

Are new Lange XT Free’s in the clear?

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Are new Lange XT Free’s in the clear?
    Lange also uses the original Dynafit inserts, so yes. The ones I can think of that protrude beyond the perimeter of the sole are QuickStep, MasterStep, and some La Sportiva inserts that are flared at the top of the hole (not made by Dynafit).

Dynafit has never cared about nontech or proprietary issues before why would they start now?

I don't see how any traditional alpine style toe can engineer around protruding metal notches.

Any agreement to indemnify without solid testing results /design mods sounds sketch as fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Most quickstep boots aren’t going to be used with shifts anyways. Maestrales are really the only one. I wouldn’t really view it as an AMER overdose. Quick step was not developed for compatibility with traditional Alpine binding style retention and release. It’s a product from when Dynafit through low tech interfaces were the future for all Freeride skiing (Beast binding). It’s not difficult to understand how the ridges of the quick step COULD interfere with traditional binding release

Maestrales are, I believe, the best selling line of touring boots ever. So communicating the compatibility issues is no small thing, I'd say.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Swapping out Kingpins on my Goats for Shifts: Anybody familiar with the respective templates know how much of a hole conflict I'm gonna have?

How much do the Quickstep inserts protrude? Could you just file them flush?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Swapping out Kingpins on my Goats for Shifts: Anybody familiar with the respective templates know how much of a hole conflict I'm gonna have?
    My shop said no hole conflicts at all, none even close enough that he worried about measuring.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Aren’t there any other frame bindings with roller toes?

Wouldn’t they all have had the same issue with quick step inserts?

Dukes, wardens etc. maybe amer is just the first to note they won’t be compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Yep, you can just file them flush but there's no need as the protruding bit sits behind the rollers - as per the pic below with my Mercury clicked in and the forward pressure dead on.

Another brand of boot might position the inserts further forward in the welt/lug but I very much doubt it would be so far forward to contact the roller.

And for those that like geeking out on delta angles with my Mercury installed the heel height is 39.5mm and the toe height is 31.5mm so that's 8mm of delta. That's with the AFD in its lowest position which is what needed to get a 0.5mm feeler gauge fit. Interestingly the folded strip that Salomon provides measures 0.22mm thick so they must be happy with a slightly smaller gap. And I measured the delta the proper way, ie underside of lowest part boot sole to the base of the ski which means that the 8mm delta is make/model of boot dependant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Yep, you can just file them flush but there's no need as the protruding bit sits behind the rollers - as per the pic below with my Mercury clicked in and the forward pressure dead on.
    Great news as I've been loosely following the discussion wondering about my mercuries.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Others have, think we are calling it the #riffmod

Edit... yup.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    As a result of this thread I spent 30 seconds with my angle grinder making my Quickstep fittings flush. All set now.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    My shop said no hole conflicts at all, none even close enough that he worried about measuring.
    I can second that. I was considering a similar remount a little while back and did an overlay of the paper templates. Assuming you're mounting for the same BSL the closest possible conflict is the back screws of the heel, with the Kingpin's screws sitting about 11mm forward of the Shift's.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Confirming that there's not a whole lot to worry about. The tab will pop out sometimes, and it can be popped back in. I did about 10 test mounts when making the template. I think the tabs that keep it from sliding fore and aft will wear a bit, but the part's main purpose (I assume), to prevent upward motion, shouldn't be compromised.
    Double checking one thing as these will be my first self-mount and I need to buy a drill bit (I no longer live near a shop I trust):

Salomon recommends a 3.6mm x 9.5mm drill bit. Did you find any oddities with bit size or depth? These will be going into 2019 Bent Chetler 120s. There are lots of slight variations on drill bit sizes (3.5/3.6, 9.0/9.5 and all the combinations therein.) Skimo.com sells a 3.6x9.5, so I figure that's my best bet. Good to go?

I'm noticing that the undersized brakes (100mm brakes on 108mm skis) are not properly deploying when I step out of my skis. The brakes get caught on the topsheet...which could suck in a fall. Maybe the reason the brakes were designed so much wider than the listed width? This happening to others? There's so much chatter in this thread about concerns when skinning, but that might need to be balanced against inconsistent brake deployment.

Just bought a narrow-brake Cyber Monday deal (90mm, Moosejaw, 5XREWARDS18) and skimmed the last 20 pages for a recommendation on where to buy wider brakes for decent price, didn't see anything. $99 at Skimo is way too spendy, don't mind ordering from Euroland if the price is right.

Edit: nuts, tell me I don't have to buy a wider pair...
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-26-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Just bought a narrow-brake Cyber Monday deal (Moosejaw, 5XREWARDS18) and skimmed the last 20 pages for a recommendation on where to buy wider brakes for decent price, didn't see anything. $99 at Skimo is way too spendy, don't mind ordering from Euroland if the price is right.
    What size are you after? Do you have a pair to swap? Have 120s - wanting narrower

11/27/18 Edit: Trading with Luke for wide brakes, so I'm good.

If I can find a smoking deal, I wouldn't minding having an assortment of sizes.

Jon was kind enough to share the part numbers, and says separate brakes are hard to get right now.
    L4055080015 - 90mm
    L4055080020 - 100mm
    L4055080023 - 110mm
    L4055080027 - 120mm
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-27-2018 at 12:06 PM.

I’m interested in 90s btw. For point of reference I traded Chicken 100s for my 110s and we could barely tell them apart. To the point we had to closely double check holding them over top of each other. You could bend I guess but I’d be surprised if 110s slip over 120 wide and function, unaltered.

Double checking one thing as these will be my first self-mount and I need to buy a drill bit (I no longer live near a shop I trust):

Salomon recommends a 3.6mm x 9.5mm drill bit. Did you find any oddities with bit size or depth? These will be going into 2019 Bent Chetler 120s. There are lots of slight variations on drill bit sizes (3.5/3.6, 9.0/9.5 and all the combinations therein.) Skimo.com sells a 3.6x9.5, so I figure that's my best bet. Good to go?
    I'd guess so, but you might want to mic the screw depth when seated in the binding if you're concerned about the 0.5mm. I'm using a 3.6x9.0 bit and haven't noticed a problem. I'd probably get what they suggest if I didn't already have what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    I'm noticing that the undersized brakes (100mm brakes on 108mm skis) are not properly deploying when I step out of my skis. The brakes get caught on the topsheet...which could suck in a fall. Maybe the reason the brakes were designed so much wider than the listed width? This happening to others? There's so much chatter in this thread about concerns when skinning, but that might need to be balanced against inconsistent brake deployment.
    Strange. 100mm on my 116 underfoot BGs deploy just fine.