Page 92 of 134 FirstFirst ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 3327
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    The Shift is not designed for 5k and 6-7 mile objectives (sure it will do it). When you have access to whatever gear you want on those longer missions why not lighten up the ski and enjoy the day a bit more.
    That’s why Killian is skiing the ATK Trofeo and not the MTN :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm saying it again.
    Cody started the 50 project skiing the shift and after a few options he's exclusively on mtn.

Probably decide that he would like to live longer.
    Dude there's no one on Earth that would do the 50 project on the Shift.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 12-15-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Ok I just bought my second pair of shifts to mount on a new pair of skis I got this year.
    I got my first set last year but didn’t get much time on them, 3 or 4 days and not any real aggressive skiing. Other then AFD adjustment issues which I think I sorted out I didn’t have any issue....that said I really have to stop reading this thread...it is getting in my head thinking I can’t trust the shifts...... I hope these are rare setup issues.....man I have to start thinking happy thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy64 View Post
    Ok I just bought my second pair of shifts to mount on a new pair of skis I got this year.
    I got my first set last year but didn’t get much time on them, 3 or 4 days and not any real aggressive skiing. Other then AFD adjustment issues which I think I sorted out I didn’t have any issue....that said I really have to stop reading this thread...it is getting in my head thinking I can’t trust the shifts...... I hope these are rare setup issues.....man I have to start thinking happy thoughts....
    Now this I agree with, ski more, read the interwebs less. Form your own - validated opinion!

They have their quirks but once dialed I feel the trade offs are worth it.

But that’s just it, there are always trade offs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have loved mine since I fixed my AFD issues. Have them and will have them on every setup except GS skis and super-light touring skis until something really different/better comes out.

I actually did a 2,000m (6,500 ft) day on them last year. I wouldn’t recommend it to the faint of heart, but doable.

I'm sure it is in here somewhere, so apologies if it is. Does anyone know the hole overlap between a Dynafit Vertical ST (older binding) and the Shift? I'd love to swap the Dynafits off and replace with the Shift.

I'm saying it again.
    Cody started the 50 project skiing the shift and after a few options he's exclusively on mtn.

He was very clear from the beginning that the Shift had a specific purpose - never once said it would be his binding of choice for long approaches / huge days.

At this point I don't plan to use the shift from a trailhead, basically ever. But it's great to have for side country 50/50 resort / backcountry days and on a general travel setup when you don't know where you may end up.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    He was very clear from the beginning that the Shift had a specific purpose - never once said it would be his binding of choice for long approaches / huge days.

At this point I don't plan to use the shift from a trailhead, basically ever. But it's great to have for side country 50/50 resort / backcountry days and on a general travel setup when you don't know where you may end up.
    Ding ding - the ability to travel and bring one ski and binder that will do most everything is key. Only do I tour from a trailhead with the shift when I want some extra training or if I hate myself otherwise Dynafiddles werk just fine for that.

That being said boy these AFDs are temperamental— swapped the soles out on my scarpas this weekend and spent the greater portion of the morning fiddle fucking with them, after 3 adjustments got em dialed but kept collapsing with an audible clunk the first 2 times occurred when landing off little hits (knowing the stair-step design helped me adjust until it was firmly seated on the proper “step”)

Work love to see Sally revamp the AFD in version 2 — sure it works but I suspect a lot of people are skiing them adjusted wrong.

In case anybody have not seen it, Cody adresses his thoughts on Shift vs MTN use pretty well in this bonus gear episode of The Fifty:

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    In case anybody have not seen it, Cody adresses his thoughts on Shift vs MTN use pretty well in this bonus gear episode of The Fifty:

Well, he gets paid for skiing and promoting Salomon.

Do you think he'll say, no I'm not skiing the shifts because they pre release and i don't want to fucking die!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I'm saying it again.

Do you think he'll say, no I'm not skiing the shifts because they pre release and i don't want to fucking die!
    Give it a rest man. It is too bad if the Shift binding did not work out for you - and for those others of you where that is the case - yet it seems to work for a lot of people. That is just the way it goes sometime.

Anyway, if you are correct then this will be my last season. The number of Shifts in my quiver like indicates that doom is foregone conclusion. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Rod has an undying belief that the mtn is the greatest binding of all time and that basically anything else is lesser for touring.

Don't get me wrong, the mtn is a great binding. But there are lots of great touring bindings.

I have had no issues with my shifts. I think I ski just as hard and aggressive inbounds and out on them as anyone else here and no issues. Once I fixed my afd they have been great.

Have done some big (touring) days on them: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...light=pinnacle

Will I take my g3 ions on a week long hut trip yes but really like my shifts. People just like to complain
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

too lazy to search the thread but

I assume these bindings ski fine on a DIN of 11.5, I have been using Guardians or STH 16s for a long time and checking in before replacing the Guardian bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    I have had no issues with my shifts. I think I ski just as hard and aggressive inbounds and out on them as anyone else here and no issues. Once I fixed my afd they have been great.

Have done some big (touring) days on them: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...light=pinnacle

Will I take my g3 ions on a week long hut trip yes but really like my shifts. People just like to complain
    I'm with you on that. Anecdotal, but... no release issues since the second half of last year. Even ran this one out, making a turn in hardened sluff debris after landing out of frame. Running at 10 lateral and 11+ vertical per usual. 295 BSL and 180lb without any gear.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post

I assume these bindings ski fine on a DIN of 11.5, I have been using Guardians or STH 16s for a long time and checking in before replacing the Guardian bindings.
    Yes, they're fine.

I've only had one pre-release ever and I'm fairly certain that was user error, due to not clearing enough snow off my boot during an awkward transition. Gotta love skinning 6+ miles only to eat shit on your first turn. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Rod has an undying belief that the mtn is the greatest binding of all time and that basically anything else is lesser for touring.

Don't get me wrong, the mtn is a great binding. But there are lots of great touring bindings.
    I like atk as well

For me the issue was how to get all the snow off of the interface when you just eaten shit and are standing waist deep in snow putting your ski back on. It became ski on, immediate pre release repeat

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Zero issues on Shifts after 80-90 days last winter, most of those days inbounds on Bent Chetler 120s here at the 'ghee and Jackson. Swapped boots a few times throughout the season and zero prereleases as long as you know how to properly re-adjust the AFD and Forward Pressure. On one or 2 tours with real tight steep switchbacks I would occasionally step on the brake arm deploying it, probably more of an issue of touring on 120mm width skis.

I’m just here for the batshit conspiracy theory that the binding sucks and all the Salomon, Atomic, and Armada athletes have taken an oath to keeping that a secret in order to protect Amer. That insanity is WAY more entertaining than another post about AFD’s.

People sure are making up a lot of shit about bindings these days.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Waiting for all the Shift haters to get on those Marker abominations and have them report back.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post

I'd recommend a demo first, they have some adjustability so maybe you can find a buddy with a pair to try for a few runs. Obviously they tour way better than a frame binding but it seems like I am in the minority here but I got rid of mine after lackluster inbounds performance. Stand with one ski over your other to hold it in place and rock your boot right and left, there shouldn't be any play, otherwise it's not adjusted right, but the flex of the toe wings is what I couldn't stand. From my personal experience this is more of a factor due to skier weight(beefcake), ski width(increased leverage), and ski style(more pronounced in skis with camber that need to be driven off the toe vs reverse camber skis with more forward mounts)

I broke my touring setup back up into a completely bc setup with Salomon mtns, which are super solid bindings, definitely the best skiing pin bindings I've ever had, and frame bindings (adrenalin 16s) on my big skis (117 underfoot) and I'm much happier now with setups I can trust for their intended purposes.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

lol at frame bindings skiing better than shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    For me the issue was how to get all the snow off of the interface when you just eaten shit and are standing waist deep in snow putting your ski back on. It became ski on, immediate pre release repeat

I assume you mean a vertical release and not a lateral release? Yeah, the pocket between the heel and the brakes can't be packed with snow. It's pretty easy to tell just by step in feel that you have a problem though and relatively easy to clear out.