Page 8 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    bwwwahhhhhh i was just about to suggest avvie 1 and an air bag will save them
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    headshot

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

^^ Were there posts deleted? Or what am I missing there?

Regardless, there are already plenty of BC jongs with frame bindings, this won’t make any difference.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ Were there posts deleted? Or what am I missing there?

Regardless, there are already plenty of BC jongs with frame bindings, this won’t make any difference.
    I believe thejongiest changed his user name and was the op of the linked thread. Pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I believe thejongiest changed his user name and was the op of the linked thread. Pretty funny.
    Ahhhhh ok! That’s fucking gold!

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    The bad news is that will open the floodgates for sidecountry jongs to kill themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Bwaaaa!

Bring it on bitches. I live and die by talking out of my ass.

But all my shit comes from stuff I've read on TGR so...

The thing about the do it all bindings, especially frame bindings, is a majority buy them and maybe use them in the BC once or twice and that’s about it. BC isn’t getting more crowded because of tech so much as powder at resorts disappearing faster than ever. Ok the sweet new gear over the last 5-7 years helps but I still think we’d be seeing a huge increase regardless.

The thing about the do it all bindings, especially frame bindings, is a majority buy them and maybe use them in the BC once or twice and that’s about it. BC isn’t getting more crowded because of tech so much as powder at resorts disappearing faster than ever. Ok the sweet new gear over the last 5-7 years helps but I still think we’d be seeing a huge increase regardless.
    The only increase I've seen is the increase of people skiing on pin binders inbounds, which is fucking stupid.
    The Shift binding is a very cool advancement in bindings though. Great work Salomon.

I see so many people at the resort skiing on wimpy boots, pins and hudge Skis. I’m not all that, but it’s a fad that is resulting in many more injuries. I’ve made it a habit to ask the tib/fibs and tibial plateaus that come in what gear they were on. It’s nearly 100%

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    The bad news is that will open the floodgates for sidecountry jongs to kill themselves.
    This shit again.... fucking always, this is exactly why bartenders and servers are responsible for unwanted pregnancies, dumb fights, and dui's. God forbid a manufacturer delivers a product that people want and be left liable only for the product as opposed to people's dumb ass decisions
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

The weight is fine, also. IMO the reason frame bindings feel heavy as shit isn't just the weight, but that so much of the weight is attached to your boot during each stride (so you are lifting the weight not just sliding it on the snow), not to mention the less efficient motion without pins.
    No offense, but isn't the Kingpin your first tech binding? ie you haven't toured regularly on anything lighter? First time I toured on Speed Radicals I was pretty blown away... and that was coming from Radical FTs (which are lighter than Kingpins) and the Speed Radical is far from the lightest binding out there.

For people skiing light bindings it's kinda difficult to swallow the touring disadvantages of 1-2 lbs weight, no high heel riser, and having to step out to change modes. But I'm doing my best to talk myself into having a place in the quiver for these - most likely on a heavy-ish ski like the Steeple 116 and used for sled skiing and sidecountry/slackcountry laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Of course, I think the Shift is more than that though for many people. If someone comes into the shop and wants a binding they can use in the resort but also tour on, the retailer can pick up the Shift and say this binding skis and releases exactly like an alpine binding. Thats a HUGE deal. The retailer doesn’t have to really explain or do anything special with the customer at all. The answer is simple. Nice work Salomon.
    Having worked in a BC shop I was thinking exactly this. I sold a shitload of frame bindings to people that mostly skied at the resort but toured occasionally or were interested in getting into touring. The Shift will take those sales for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    This shit again.... fucking always, this is exactly why bartenders and servers are responsible for unwanted pregnancies, dumb fights, and dui's. God forbid a manufacturer delivers a product that people want and be left liable only for the product as opposed to people's dumb ass decisions
    No shit. Seatbelts will make you drive 100mph after 10 beers as well.

Thanks Cody for all the stoke over the years. These will go on my Lotus 124 and I won't even think twice about the difference in grams. Finally there is a clamp that handles the down and still goes uphill with the quality and performance I expect from Salomon. Safety becomes the added benefit along with a traditional stack height and elastic travel. The shift checks all the boxes for me.

mobile update

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I see so many people at the resort skiing on wimpy boots, pins and hudge Skis. I’m not all that, but it’s a fad that is resulting in many more injuries. I’ve made it a habit to ask the tib/fibs and tibial plateaus that come in what gear they were on. It’s nearly 100%

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I bet DPS usage in this population approaches 100 percent as well
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    No offense, but isn't the Kingpin your first tech binding? ie you haven't toured regularly on anything lighter? First time I toured on Speed Radicals I was pretty blown away... and that was coming from Radical FTs (which are lighter than Kingpins) and the Speed Radical is far from the lightest binding out there.

For people skiing light bindings it's kinda difficult to swallow the touring disadvantages of 1-2 lbs weight, no high heel riser, and having to step out to change modes. But I'm doing my best to talk myself into having a place in the quiver for these - most likely on a heavy-ish ski like the Steeple 116 and used for sled skiing and sidecountry/slackcountry laps.

Having worked in a BC shop I was thinking exactly this. I sold a shitload of frame bindings to people that mostly skied at the resort but toured occasionally or were interested in getting into touring. The Shift will take those sales for sure.
    what he said ive got 14 din metal atks that ski fine in an outta bounds and ive been puttin touring soles in alpine bindings for a couple decades now
    hard for me to get excited about more plastic more weight less riser options less din for a elasticity tuv certification safety shizz trade off
    for somethin most of us aint gonna ski on this season
    but i bets it slays it with the i spend as much time talking and posting about gear as using it crowd
    and hole pattern need to be new to sell jigs and more skis something it took em a while to learn but they fully embrace now
    anywho thanks for takin the time to r&d this and provide the community some 411 on it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    I bet DPS usage in this population approaches 100 percent as well
    Not really, count me out. Shitty skis

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    what he said ive got 14 din metal atks that ski fine in an outta bounds and ive been puttin touring soles in alpine bindings for a couple decades now
    hard for me to get excited about more plastic more weight less riser options less din for a elasticity tuv certification safety shizz trade off
    for somethin most of us aint gonna ski on this season
    but i bets it slays it with the i spend as much time talking and posting about gear as using it crowd
    and hole pattern need to be new to sell jigs and more skis something it took em a while to learn but they fully embrace now
    anywho thanks for takin the time to r&d this and provide the community some 411 on it
    English please, if possible above 4 th grade.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Don’t forget you get to sell them a new boot too. Salomon won’t be the only one making money off this binding.

Tired legs can be as unsafe if not more unsafe than din certified bindings. Awesome design but the improvements might not be that big in the real world of touring.

My only reservation about the Shift is all of the moving pieces that aren't metal... but time will tell on that.
    Yup. They’re going to break eventually, but all tech bindings do I suppose. This is definitely progress in the right direction.

It appears that they’ve put a good amount of r&d and real life testing into these, so hopefully all the claims and durability hold true. Although, I still have a sour taste in my mouth from TC’s sollie quest failure.

This is some great engineering... the idea that this binding is going to cause the sidecountry to get tracked up or cause accidents is just ludicrous!

The reason sidecountry is tracked up:

1. Resort pow is done in one run thanks to better skis:
    Repeated high speed runs on fun shaped fat skis by every advanced-intermediate who 10-12 years ago were on 80mm parabolics and flailed slowly down the easier pow. I'm not saying its bad... it just is. (PS these people all think they are expert gnar rippers now)

2. Sidecountry is way more fun and way less work thanks to better gear:
    Scarpa Lasers driving Salomon Pocket Rockets with Titanal IIIs
    vs
    Vulcans driving DPS Wailer 112RPs with Vipecs
    or
    Technica Mach 1s driving Head Monsters with Guardians

3. The industry pushing BC hard
    The magazines and movies made it cool, everyone is doing it on social media!

4. Information is easier to come by
    You don't need a mentor to show you the goods when you have FB, instragram, and TGR telling you where to go... or just seeing tracks everywhere. Critical mass. (Anyone remember coloradofreshtrax like 14 years ago?)

Only if those folks have tech boots. Otherwise you are putting people on just-another-alpine binding with no ability to go up.

This binding really offers the ability to use your alpine boots on your pow skis.

It allows a one ski quiver for travel and you bring two sets of boots with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Nope, had 7-10 days on dynafits prior to the kingpins. The difference to me was negligible compared to a frame binding.

To be fair, I have a similar mentality with mountain-bikes. I’ll take the extra squish but with a nice light carbon frame, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yup. They’re going to break eventually, but all tech bindings do I suppose. This is definitely progress in the right direction.

It appears that they’ve put a good amount of r&d and real life testing into these, so hopefully all the claims and durability hold true. Although, I still have a sour taste in my mouth from TC’s sollie quest failure.
    Yeah. That one still sits with me too.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

This binding looks great, now if only the mythical one boot to rule all existed to go with this binding! For inbounds days, switching boots is still the biggest PIA.

Interesting how in Europe, the average ski tourer (and hard cores) are in no fall zones on their Dynafit Speeds and sub 1000 gram boots, and here in the states we need beef boots and 16 Din metal bindings to ski mostly mellow No American terrain .
    Last edited by Nevada29er; 12-11-2017 at 12:33 AM.