Page 87 of 134 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 3330

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Anyone see this video of Josh Daiek with what looks like a pretty clear pre-release in the Shift? Sprained MCL...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Pt7Jyl71P/
    Hmm interdasting — not sure I’d call that a prerelease. Hit HARD in back seat and compressed.

Second thought maybe it was —

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/81c5a45f-...5e8f7ad020.gif

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I see what your saying... but I’m curious which knee he sprained... if it’s his right knee then I’m less than convinced it was a pre-release.

Anyone see this video of Josh Daiek with what looks like a pretty clear pre-release in the Shift? Sprained MCL...

Honestly, it is hard to say. They definitely have limited elasticity compared to some other alpine bindings, but we already knew that.

Of course I don't know which leg he injured, but the reason I thought maybe a pre-release is because it seems like if the binding stayed on he might have held on, even if it was a hefty back smack.

Anyways it is what it is, but I thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I picked up some shifts at a good price, seems like the general consensus for prerelease issue is mounting error? Thinking I might put them on wildcat 108's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Forward pressure setting and maybe toe height issue. Its all in the adjustment.
    There's not a lot of elasticity in the heel release.

Besides adjustment issues, also affected by any amount of snow on the boot sole. There's also a 4mm tolerance in the ISO standard, for the heel shelf height )32+-2mm), which I suspect could contribute.

I'd just say really err on the side of caution. Don't get too confident until you know we'll how your boot behaves in this binding.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    There's not a lot of elasticity in the heel release.
    Same amount of vertical elasticity in the heel as the standard STH no?

He finished the season sking the MTN a lot of the time.. make whatever inference you would like from that.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Not in my experience.

Edit: I mean the vertical travel doesn't feel the same. Seems very small. Or it doesn't take much to get to the release point once it starts moving.

He’s also the kinda guy that may actually need higher than 12-13din

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    STH = 15mm. Shift = 11mm.

I ski the Shifts and I like them, but my seat-of-the-pants take is that they really do not provide the same safety/confidence/elasticity compared to the Warden I was skiing before. I think it definitely depends on your specific boot, with some working better than others. But a bit too much flex and the binding just pops, and the force vs. probability of release graph doesn't feel very linear at all - it's on or off, like there's a breaking point of force where the thing is just going to pop with almost 100% certainty.

I don't mean to beat on a dead horse though.

The advantages are obvious: touring, lighter weight and low profile (which I actual like a lot for booting in the resort). There's trade-offs for sure. I think it's still a great one-quiver binding, but I'm really thinking about going quiver-killers with Wardens and Vipecs or something similar.

I kind of hope they update the binding on the Shift, I think a little extra weight to provide more release damping and elasticity would make this a real homerun. For me this is an 80/20 resort/sidecountry binding. But, ime, the release characteristics are not friendly for really "sending" it in the resorts (by my standards...which are...lame).

I was hoping to really like them, skied them a bunch last year, and for reasons I've discussed pages ago in this thread this year I'll be on a frame binding on my 117 underfoot ski and the mtns for a straight up bc ski.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    He finished the season sking the MTN a lot of the time.. make whatever inference you would like from that.
    I feel like that was because he spent most of the end of his season going deep into the Eastern Sierra with really long approaches and he mostly kept his skis attached to the snow skiing the big lines down there.

A good amount of his lines from Tahoe last winter are right in his backyard (much shorter approaches) where he knows the terrain like the back of his hand and where he can really throw down burly lines with huge airs.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

So I just mounted my own skis. It seems like all of the templates floating around out there have interesting measurements. The heel seems good. The toe- between the double sets of toe screws, is labeled as 70-71mm based on various templates. I measured at 79mm drilled and mounted my skis. So anyone using the templates measure and check. I’ve read the thread- was there mention of this? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	300366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	300367

Pics for measuring attachments

Quote Originally Posted by Idyllwild View Post
    So I just mounted my own skis. It seems like all of the templates floating around out there have interesting measurements. The heel seems good. The toe- between the double sets of toe screws, is labeled as 70-71mm based on various templates. I measured at 79.5- drilled and mounted my skis. So anyone using the templates measure and check. I’ve read the thread- was there mention of this? Click image for larger version. 

Yes — initial templates were off.

It’s in this thread but buried!

So I just mounted my own skis. It seems like all of the templates floating around out there have interesting measurements. The heel seems good. The toe- between the double sets of toe screws, is labeled as 70-71mm based on various templates. I measured at 79mm drilled and mounted my skis. So anyone using the templates measure and check. I’ve read the thread- was there mention of this? Click image for larger version. 

It looks like you're measuring with the tab that holds the rear screws slid out. When you actually put the binding on the ski, you screw down that tab and the front screw with the aluminum tophat piece, then slide the whole binding back to line up the two middle screws.

yeah - thanks for taking the time to measure and to post, but HAB is right on point here.

The measurement you made and the actual mount pattern is not a measurement of the same thing. The pre-slide-measurement is just that. When you slide the bottom screw assembly into place everthing else slides back, making the footprint of the binding smaller.

I've mounted a fair few Shifts based on the template in the mount thread, and so far so good.

Yep- thanks! Good thing this was a practice run

Just spent a bit more time looking — agreed. When you slide the binding back things will line up.

I wanted to make sure you found the correct template as the initial template was incorrect.

Use this one.
    Post #1251 in the templates thread.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...81#post5407881

I made it. It's been tested by a bunch of people, including me. It's dead nuts on.

Edit: also, you're mic'ing the wrong dimension. The plastic piece slides (and pops) into the binding toe piece, which shrinks that dimension you measured down to 71mm. I made a really shitty YouTube video of the mount process. I can try to find it if you want. Someone else probably made a better one.

Edit: I see that I'm the third person whose point out the sliding piece thing. Heh.

Use this one.
    Post #1251 in the templates thread.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...81#post5407881

I made it. It's been tested by a bunch of people, including me. It's dead nuts on.

Edit: also, you're mic'ing the wrong dimension. The plastic piece slides (and pops) into the binding toe piece, which shrinks that dimension you measured down to 71mm. I made a really shitty YouTube video of the mount process. I can try to find it if you want. Someone else probably made a better one.

Edit: I see that I'm the third person whose point out the sliding piece thing. Heh.
    Yup, I can vouch for that template too. Thanks for putting it together!

...Someone else probably made a better one...
    Nope, haven't found a better one - yours is the best!

I also kept the previous iteration and decide which one to use depending on the ski - multiple mounts and all of them spot on.

Thank you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    I Infer that there is a lot of speculation going on here. To add to that: Who's to say the exact same wouldn't have happened with an sth?

Does anyone know what the minimum BSL the shift's support? I'm planning to mount a 248 BSL boot with some shifts but don't want to run into the same problem as the kingpins which have a minimum BSL of 255. I currently own a set of shifts myself that are mounted for 301 BSL with adjustment right about in the middle and am measuring 92 mm clearance between the toe and heel so i suspect this will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by finishthepint View Post
    I'm planning to mount a 248 BSL boot with some shifts but don't want to run into the same problem as the kingpins which have a minimum BSL of 255. I currently own a set of shifts myself that are mounted for 301 BSL with adjustment right about in the middle and am measuring 92 mm clearance between the toe and heel so i suspect this will be just fine.
    Why would you? There's no walk mode lever running up between the heel and toe, and the Shift toe slides on from front to back. 301mm - 92mm - ~12mm if your Shift is mounted with a factory jig = 197mm . . . If that boot happens to be an Atomic Backland 22.5, you should be aware that the sole is NOT ISO 9523 and therefore not compatible with the Shift in ski mode, though.

Now a member of the Shift family .. by accident (shoulda mounted my own f'n skis, yo).
    All my other rigs sport rotations, and I spawned from the world of the knee-dipping tree-fairies .. so I'm excited for the downhill performance, and the comparison to Rotations. A little heavier, a little flatter, a little better skiing.. Should be interesting.

Based on what I read here .. getting sick performance seems do-able: do a good mount, make double sure to clear the snow and ice, maybe a couple 'security' cycles of the heel - and getting the din's right .. I hope I get to make my heel din go to 11 (it's one louder). Coming from tele I'm still amazed with fixed heels.

Good info here, thanks to the contributors. I'm only 15 pages back but I'll get through it!