Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    That is some genius engineering.

Do you notice a feel difference with the wings vs metal/metal of a pin-in-hole tech binding on the way down?

This looks like something that crushes the Kingpin and frame binding market vs competing with the Tecton which I think actually just crushed the market previously held by Radical/Vertical/Vipec.
    When it comes to the toe piece of a tech and this toe piece there is a drastic difference in feel. Tech bindings have little to no elasticity, meaning every shock and vibration from the ski goes straight into your body. But when in comes to MX, the power transfer capabilities are similar. So essentially to me, it feels like it has the edge to edge power of an Alpine binder or a locked out tech binder, but without the jarring shocks of a pin.

Otherwise yes, to me it crushes the frame binding...but ultimately it provides a level of downhill consistent releasability not seen in something like the Tecton, Kingpin or any other tech binding. It's a true and true alpine binding for the down but doesn't pick up the heel and pivots on the toe like a tech binding.

Is the mount pattern new or is it the same as one of Sollys other existing patterns?

Is the mount pattern wide enough to work with the Volkl V-Werks skis ?

Sounds like a lot of time and thought went into this. Fingers crossed for great results. Also interested in how the toe handles icing.
    watch out for snakes

Great work, I’m seriously impressed. Thanks for stopping by with some behind-the-scenes info.

Thanks for doing this. Realize my thread was sparse but didn't think we'd get a nice AMA.

How much metal is in the binding? Not sure if this has been asked before.

How about the CAST-modified boots. Will those work in this binding?

For those of you complaining about the weight, 1700 g/pair may be on the heavy side for a tech binding, but it's actually quite light for an alpine binding. I can't think of any other 13 DIN alpine binding at that weight, let alone one with a touring mode.

A modern version of the Sk’Alp binding. https://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry...7-ski-binding/
    I don’t see the added “performance” being worth the extra weight and complications for my dedicated touring setup, but if durable enough it could be the perfect resort/side-country binding.
    Weird that Salomon is using their S/Lab X-Alp boot in promo material rather than the MTN Lab, which would seem to better match the intended use and users.

Do you have to step out of the binding to change from climb to ski mode?

A short video of transitions (both to ski mode and to climb mode) would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I don't disagree at all that lower angle skintracks are far more efficient, but reality is that if you tour somewhere that your skintracks sometimes use tight steep trees then you will need a higher riser at some point.
    Agreed. Living on the coast of northwest b.c. there are certain scenarios of specific snow conditions and complex, steep, gullied terrain where high heel lifters aren't optional but necessary. Also, IMO, efficient skinning isn't a black and white/either or issue...personal physiology/anatomy factor into what skin trail angle works best for each individual skier.

If snow conditions and terrain allows (not always the case for sure), i'm in the high heel lifter and rest stepping straight up the fall line every time. In any case, IMO, the binder should at least have an auxiliary attachment point pre drilled for an add on high heel lifter for those who prefer to have one...but...a crafty ski tourer should be able to mod something that works if required.

All just my personal opinion.

In general though, the binding looks great for the intended market. Kudos!
    Last edited by swissiphic; 12-08-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    It is an alpine binding heel that is completely stationary. When you engage the pins, the connection moves your toe 20mm forward so you clear the heel.
    that's an interesting design idea.
    So how does the heel and brake work when in tour mode. What do you do in order to get the brakes stowed?

No questions, just reading along, but thx for stopping by to share developments!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    A short video of transitions (both to ski mode and to climb mode) would be helpful.
    See video on gearjunkie.... https://gearjunkie.com/salomon-s-lab...nc-ski-binding

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Now that's a good question.

Eta. It appears you do, yes.

So you have to exit to change modes, not a deal breaker.

Can the brakes be removed or at least swapped?

Not on market till Sept 2018?
    watch out for snakes

I think it's funny when this binding gets compared to a tecton. They're different classes. I wouldn't compare a tecton to a dynafit low-tech race.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Thanks for doing this. Realize my thread was sparse but didn't think we'd get a nice AMA.

How much metal is in the binding? Not sure if this has been asked before.

How about the CAST-modified boots. Will those work in this binding?
    The legal folks tell me to tell you they won't and Salomon won't support using CAST modified boots because they aren't 'Norm' certified boots. But you can then extrapolate what you want from there.

There are 3 pieces of aluminum in the toe-piece (two plates and the DIN spring). A majority of the working parts of the binding are molded from a carbon fiber reinforced polymer. Side note on that, the discovery and application of that carbon infused plastic was the kicker that ended up making this binding work. It was the 'aha' moment that took the binding from a concept that had some skiability issues to where we feel like it is today which is a binding that you'd be hard pressed to find any downhill skiability issues.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    There is a video that Chris Rubens did about that transition in this Gear Junkie review.

Aluminum spring?

Interesting... springs are so rarely made of Alu due to its fatigue endurance limit.

Impressive piece of engineering. Hope they have less issues than other new tech bindings. I don't trust new complicated things.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Is the mount pattern new or is it the same as one of Sollys other existing patterns?
    X2. If so, I’m in for this. If not, no, as I’m a sollyfitslave

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Aluminum spring?

Interesting... springs are so rarely made of Alu due to its fatigue endurance limit.
    Yeah sorry, misspoke on that, definitely not Alu spring. Typical steel spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    X2. If so, I’m in for this. If not, no, as I’m a sollyfitslave
    Yeah, it's a new mount pattern.