Page 102 of 108 FirstFirst ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2676

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Phat thumbs
    -
    Disregard

Hello,

I'm going to be purchasing a playful all mountain setup for park, pow, and trees. Looking at getting some moment wc 108s and wondering if the shift binding would work for my terrain choice. Would really be nice to get to some of the untracked areas as on big pow days the upper lifts are usually closed due to wind. Thanks!

Damn. Had two heel releases today when I really didnít want them. First one was opening it up under a chute in what turned out to be some of the shittiest wind affected snow Iíve ever seen. Heel clicked and I tomahawked. The other bindings toe ended up in walk mode but I think that was from me hitting it. Very little chance of snow on boot.

Second time was later that run. Chopped pow on firm groomer. Clicked out and had to lay it down on purpose. Decent chance of snow on boot after the first crash.

Heel is set to 11, toe at 10. I am 150lb with a 24.5. Fourth time in two years this has happened. Just tightened the toe height a quarter turn as I was getting serious squeaking but no apparent movement.

Confidence low now. Which is saying a lot considering I was confident after the first pre release last year which ended up causing a completed lacerated glute medius.

Quote Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
    Hello,

I'm going to be purchasing a playful all mountain setup for park, pow, and trees. Looking at getting some moment wc 108s and wondering if the shift binding would work for my terrain choice. Would really be nice to get to some of the untracked areas as on big pow days the upper lifts are usually closed due to wind. Thanks!
    You might consider using CAST 3.0 instead, if youíre going to be skiing park.

I think if the lift is shut down, uphill travel remains prohibited. Have you taken an avalanche course? Look into AIARE, and go through the Avy 1 course. Youíll learn a lot of cool shit.

Just got back from 3 days touring in the Nelson area, with two friends who had brand new Shift bindings on resort-weight skis. One had serious issues with the toes not staying locked while touring, which happened once on an exposed skintrack which could have been pretty shitty. The other had brakes pop out in tour mode a few times, no toe lock issues. I guess the toe lock issue is probably from icing, but the lock doesn't seem very positive (not much of a "click") even after skis had dried out/warmed up overnight. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Another oddity: I swapped skis with toe-lock-issue friend for part of a run, and my toes were clunking up and down like the AFD was way too low. Friend and I both have ISO 9523 boots (I have MTN Lab, he has newer green-cuff Vulcan), with a 3mm BSL difference. Not sure if this is an issue, just odd.

Finally, same friend had one inopportune release that resulted in a tomahawk, but he had forgotten to increase his DIN from the shop setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Just got back from 3 days touring in the Nelson area, with two friends who had brand new Shift bindings on resort-weight skis. One had serious issues with the toes not staying locked while touring, which happened once on an exposed skintrack which could have been pretty shitty. The other had brakes pop out in tour mode a few times, no toe lock issues. I guess the toe lock issue is probably from icing, but the lock doesn't seem very positive (not much of a "click") even after skis had dried out/warmed up overnight. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Another oddity: I swapped skis with toe-lock-issue friend for part of a run, and my toes were clunking up and down like the AFD was way too low. Friend and I both have ISO 9523 boots (I have MTN Lab, he has newer green-cuff Vulcan), with a 3mm BSL difference. Not sure if this is an issue, just odd.

Finally, same friend had one inopportune release that resulted in a tomahawk, but he had forgotten to increase his DIN from the shop setting.
    I find you really have to tug the lever to the very top of the range, and it is difficult and not very positive brand new. After they break in, its much easier to get the lever up and locked. I generally use my pole to wedge the toe open, put boot in, ensure the pins are in the holes, then use my hand to firmly pull the lever to the top, and then kick my toe back and forth a few times to ensure its secure.

I notice brakes popping out in tour mode when I'm on the 10 deg riser and being a little sloppy, as there is no weight being placed on the rear walk mode lever on every step, and the brakes are quite easy to pop back into ski mode by just pushing down on the brake (makes for easier transitions though, and not risking a finger by trying to pull the walk mode lever back into ski mode). The solution would be to ensure you get the smallest brake width possible for your ski, make sure you aren't hitting your brakes while walking uphill, clean the snow out of the bindings when transitioning (particularily under the stomp pad, and if you end up with the brakes down, just go back to no riser, and stomp the walk mode lever back in place.

I agree that there is definitely room for improvement with those two issues for salomon to make both toe and heel walk mode settings more positive feeling and secure for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Alka,
    There is some brewing discussion over at Newschoolers.

https://www.newschoolers.com/forum/t...elease-Warning

I have tried to guide them this way. However there may be some value in engaging over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post
    make sure you aren't hitting your brakes while walking uphill
    This was my issue. First year model. Now that I'm being more mindful about it brakes have stayed put pretty well.

Heels have stepped out pretty easy on me at a din of 8. Toes, not as much as I'd like...

Not all 9523 boots are created equal.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Whelk View Post
    a more stupid motherfuck does not exist.
    Big Balls is worst asshat kind.
    kind that wear bukkake from above.
    with warm drown he gurgles final death, for one time not worried about his misplaced import known of african american social standing and prominent community members. for he is only drown, as is the way.

When my toes are in tour mode it takes effort to move the lever down to unlock my toe. It's impossible for it to unlock by itself. Either your buddy wasn't pulling the lever all the way up to lock the binding out or he's got a warranty issue. I don't think there's much middle ground between those two things.

If you pull up on the brakes hard enough you def get a very light "click" when you put them in tour mode. It's not super loud, but if I don't hear it my brakes will pop into ski mode.

You had some slop when you skied the binding w/out adjusting the AFD for your boot? I'm not sure why you find that odd? I bet that slop would have gone away had you adjusted the AFD.

I ski the Shift at 11. A chart says my DIN should be at 8.5. If I skied at 8.5 I would certainly have more releases.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Not all 9523 boots are created equal.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    You had some slop when you skied the binding w/out adjusting the AFD for your boot? I'm not sure why you find that odd? I bet that slop would have gone away had you adjusted the AFD.
    Yes, I expect the slop would go away if I adjusted the AFD. Just thought two boot soles compliant with the same standard would be pretty close to the same shape, but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    When my toes are in tour mode it takes effort to move the lever down to unlock my toe. It's impossible for it to unlock by itself. Either your buddy wasn't pulling the lever all the way up to lock the binding out or he's got a warranty issue. I don't think there's much middle ground between those two things.

If you pull up on the brakes hard enough you def get a very light "click" when you put them in tour mode. It's not super loud, but if I don't hear it my brakes will pop into ski mode.
    I only got to fiddle with the tour mode once, but I can say that my friend was pulling very hard on the lever to try to lock it. Interesting to hear Stewy's perspective that the toe becomes easier to lock as the bindings break in.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    You might consider using CAST 3.0 instead, if youíre going to be skiing park.

I think if the lift is shut down, uphill travel remains prohibited. Have you taken an avalanche course? Look into AIARE, and go through the Avy 1 course. Youíll learn a lot of cool shit.
    Uphill travel is available throughout my resort (tline mt hood). The slope also isn't steep enough to present any real avalanche danger. I usually see a few groups heading up the the lifts closed that day and getting fresh lines. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
    Uphill travel is available throughout my resort (tline mt hood). The slope also isn't steep enough to present any real avalanche danger. I usually see a few groups heading up the the lifts closed that day and getting fresh lines. Thanks for the advice!
    Aww shit. Yeah, I was thinking of Meadows. Carry on.

The Cast advice is still good. I own and happily ski Shifts on a pair of big pow skis (Protests) but I don't think I'd trust them for skiing park with any regularity. No real knock on the Shift, it's just very much not what its designed for.

Yes, I expect the slop would go away if I adjusted the AFD. Just thought two boot soles compliant with the same standard would be pretty close to the same shape, but I guess not.
    It's already been said but yeah, not all boots are the same. Thickness and durometer of rubber sole could vary and even a little would make a difference. Also, you mentioned a BSL difference of 3mm, you didn't mention that you adjusted forward pressure at all. Basically, if you didn't adjust forward pressure or AFD height and were surprised at "slop" then you're doing it wrong.

I only got to fiddle with the tour mode once, but I can say that my friend was pulling very hard on the lever to try to lock it. Interesting to hear Stewy's perspective that the toe becomes easier to lock as the bindings break in.
    Can also affirm that locking into tour mode got easier after a few tours. Also it should be noted that the lever has two positions where it feels like it locks into place, and the first one will still release IME. Icing could be an issue as well... I tend to pick my foot up and down a few times once my boots are in the pins but before I lock it out, which lets the pins pivot around in the boot inserts a bit and sorta "drill out" any snow or ice that's in there. It's a trick the instructor of my avy 1 class told us years ago to help prevent toe pre-release on Dynafits.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    It's already been said but yeah, not all boots are the same. Thickness and durometer of rubber sole could vary and even a little would make a difference. Also, you mentioned a BSL difference of 3mm, you didn't mention that you adjusted forward pressure at all. Basically, if you didn't adjust forward pressure or AFD height and were surprised at "slop" then you're doing it wrong.

Can also affirm that locking into tour mode got easier after a few tours. Also it should be noted that the lever has two positions where it feels like it locks into place, and the first one will still release IME. Icing could be an issue as well... I tend to pick my foot up and down a few times once my boots are in the pins but before I lock it out, which lets the pins pivot around in the boot inserts a bit and sorta "drill out" any snow or ice that's in there. It's a trick the instructor of my avy 1 class told us years ago to help prevent toe pre-release on Dynafits.
    I also do the foot lifts, it's something you do without thinking after a couple times.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

So here's a discussion starter. Is there a binding that beats the shift as a travel ski setup? (You're flying with one set and you don't know what your split of backcountry and resort will be)

The tecton, the vipec, the ion all come to mind as lighter options... Heavier options probably not interested.

Asking for a friend, I already have my travel setup which is shifts on wct 108.

Completed a week long bc ski tour trip recently and one of our crew had to ski strap the toes in the up position daily to keep them locked on the skin track. Black atomic versions. FYI. I have not had any personal issues with the shifts to date.

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
    So here's a discussion starter. Is there a binding that beats the shift as a travel ski setup? (You're flying with one set and you don't know what your split of backcountry and resort will be)

The tecton, the vipec, the ion all come to mind as lighter options... Heavier options probably not interested.

Asking for a friend, I already have my travel setup which is shifts on wct 108.

None of which have the true releasability of shifts. All.are fine if you want a touring binding that are usable in the resort vs a resort binding that you can tour on.

I have only had my shifts release once, and that was going over the handlebars in power after stuffing the tips. One ski released, and while I thought it a tad premature, it probably was within specs. Both probably should have released (or neither???) Keeping ice off your boot soles is key in my experience.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    None of which have the true releasability of shifts. All.are fine if you want a touring binding that are usable in the resort vs a resort binding that you can tour on.

I have only had my shifts release once, and that was going over the handlebars in power after stuffing the tips. One ski released, and while I thought it a tad premature, it probably was within specs. Both probably should have released (or neither???) Keeping ice off your boot soles is key in my experience.
    I think the Tecton should have similar release characteristics, but it's a PITA to step in and out, and I don't perceive it to ski as well (i.e. energy transmission during skiing isn't quite as much like a normal alpine bindings as the Shift). YMMV, as I don't have the budget to A-B on the same set of skis in the same conditions. You also can't ski the Tecton in alpine boots in a pinch, but you can the Shift (at least downhill).

So I'd say no, the Shift is the best option for a travel binding.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I think the Tecton should have similar release characteristics, but it's a PITA to step in and out, and I don't perceive it to ski as well (i.e. energy transmission during skiing isn't quite as much like a normal alpine bindings as the Shift). YMMV, as I don't have the budget to A-B on the same set of skis in the same conditions. You also can't ski the Tecton in alpine boots in a pinch, but you can the Shift (at least downhill).

So I'd say no, the Shift is the best option for a travel binding.
    I bought the Tecton as a travel set up, but I agree on your points. I didnít want the weight of the shift, and I put them on powder skis, so the harshness or energy transmission is less of an issue. Iíve come out once, and it was in powder, and yes it was a pain in the ass to get back in.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

After just mounting up some tectons, I am very impressed. While I donít know if I would want to charge as hard in bounds on them, there is no reason why I shouldnít. I found they skied just as solid as the shifts, minus the creaky toe noises. My shifts are set up perfectly.

Also, considering my pre releases on shifts, I shouldnít charge as hard in bounds on them as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post

Rotations - in the 625-650g ish range if I remember. I have some I'll sell your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

Shift is all I ski on, and it's all touring. IMO as a daily driver touring binder they do great.

I've also only had 1 release, augered the tips .. Release was spot on. 100% convinced it saved me from significant injury.
    After that I installed shifts on every ski.

Another customer just came in after a pre release slarving in pow. Always leans off boots, binding was set up correctly.

Have not had one issue with mine in 2 seasons now besides the toe height adjustment when I first got them. Great binding imo.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

$365 at Corbetts