Vermont Tester Weirdness

I run a used gear shop that sells skis, and recently decided to go down the rabbit hole that is binding testing so that we can ensure our customers walk out the door with a safe setup. We bought the extra expensive insurance, did all the certification stuff through the binding manufacturers, bought a used Vermont binding tester, and now that I'm playing with the tester, I'm noticing a weird pattern emerging.

On every binding that I've tested so far, the release values are all within the inspection range, and generally testing out as expected, but on the twist(toe lateral release) test, I'm consistently reading ~5nm higher on the CW vs CCW test readings. Any ideas what might be causing that?

just received the torque wrench back from calibration at Vermont days ago, so theoretically that shouldn't be the source of the L/R discrepancy, right? I checked, and it does read 0 when neutral in both directions.

I'm pretty sure I'm running the tests exactly as specified in the instruction video from Vermont.

While it wouldn't surprise me if a binding or two released slightly asymmetrically, I can't imagine that every one of the dozen or so randomly chosen bindings I tested was biased, and in the same direction.

Any experience with this or anything like it?

I had techs finding the same thing one year. Turned out it was the way they were snapping them. They were simply using more force/follow through with the pulling (CW) motion than they were while pushing (CCW).

Just turn around 180 degrees, switch hands, and see what you find. That ought to let you know if it's you, or your tool.

Also, I assume you've tried this on more than one model of binding. We once had a huge batch of shitty old Marker rental bindings actually test consistently higher (out of test/use) on one side. I don't remember the name of them- they were the model that you adjusted by twisting the circular dial in the middle. Threw 'em all out.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Just turn around 180 degrees, switch hands, and see what you find. That ought to let you know if it's you, or your tool.
    LOL, that's signature worthy right there.

Years ago we used a Vermont style tester with a digital output, I could make that test anyway you want. I could also make it run properly but it took me about 100 tests before I was smooth and consistent every time. It's you and it will get better once you get consistent.