Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Holy shit!!! I almost skipped this thread as I don't read them all anymore. Glad your family, you and the pets are good.
    I have lots of extra skis that would fit a 312 to maybe a 325 bsl. If you want me to meet up with you at Mammoth to hand off a few pairs pm me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I've been drawn to this thread for all those suffering and involved in these tragic fires . . . Hutash, sending you and yours healing thoughts!!

I've been a tad busy the past few days, so haven't had a chance to up date. All is going well, relatively speaking. My wife and I have pretty well accepted the facts, and are just moving on and dealing with things. We can keep it together 99% of the time, at least until people are nice to us and we lose it again. People have been great, as have everybody in this little corner of the internet. We can begin to thank you all enough for your thoughts and support. All the well wishes and offers have really helped.

Fortunately veterinary dentistry has treated us well. For those who don't know, my wife is a vet as well. We were well insured, and have always been reasonably frugal, so this has not been nor will be a huge financial hardship. It is still a pretty big hit though, and the financial ramifications haven't really hit home yet. We apprciate the offers of gear and such, and will let you know what if anything we need, but I think we will be fine. I have contacted a few of you by PM, and thanks to everybody else. It pays to live in the home town of Patagucci, and have friends there to helps us get back in the mountains, clothing wise.

Now for a little speech from the soap box...Be prepared, shit happens, and it happens when you least expect it, and happens way, way faster then you can imagine. Doesn't matter were you live, we all have our own particular natural disasters, and need to plan accordingly. We always had an idea of what to take when it hit the fan, but it all happened so quickly (I had less then an hour,) so when my wife got home we had less then five minutes to grab the legal stuff. The pets were boxed and loaded earlier, but we had just started to get the legal stuff when the landscape went up in flames, so all the photos, computer, etc. just got left behind, and we hoped for the best.

Have a plan, know how and were you pets and carriers are. Decide what legal documents you must have, and keep them all together for a quick, easy grab. I am not convinced fire proof boxes are the answer, but no a bad idea just to keep things together. The fire melted bronze statues, turned granite to crumbles and melted glass. It is all very impressive, and would be fascinating if it were somebody else's house.

Help your neighbors, but don't be a hero. When things were still reasonably under control I knocked on doors and then drove some of the streets blasting my car horn. I think I saved at least one neighbor, but I got out with enough time to spare to be reasonably safe. Apparently a few people stayed in other areas all night and fought the fires with a fricking garden hose. I know of at least one house saved that way, but the fire storm was so intense, that person could have just as easily lots his life, and I am amazed he didn't. A house is not worth it...don't be that guy!!!

In other words, be smarter about it then we were.

Once again, thank you everybody for all the thoughts and offers. The support really does help.

Cheers,

Dave and Elaine

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

thx for the update and thoughts

So sorry to hear. Glad you made it.
    Man, you and pets sure owe your missus for that phonecall.

Do you think this close-call might trigger a life change?
    Make that move to the mountain's?
    Take retirement kinda thing?
    Rather than rebuild?

Good Luck!

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Apparently a few people stayed in other areas all night and fought the fires with a fricking garden hose.
    Damn, that is some Blurred Elevens shit right der!

Good to hear you guys are doing alright. Just like everyone else, let us know if you need anything.

There is (used to be) no place like home

Thx for the update and the wise words for preparations.

We sure aren’t ready for a quick exit. I think my bc ski pack is as close to a disaster kit as I have. My business is here at the house so that needs to be figured out...just grab the server and call it good? That plan needs work.

I wondered if your practice was close by and possibly in danger...maybe it still is?

My wife’s cousin lives in Ventura on the other side of E Main and has thus far been out of the zone. So we’re keeping a eye on the weather and progress.

Can we see pictures of the cats and tortoise?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Can we see pictures of the cats and tortoise?
    That would be cool to see the animals

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Glad to hear things are getting better.

You are 100% percent correct about being prepared.
    watch out for snakes

Glad to hear you guys are doing ok considering. Also thanks for the hindsight. Made me realize we really are not prepared at all.

Thanks for the update, been thinking about you guys while on a ladder painting.

Hold tight to each other and thanks for the advice. Have a call set up with my insurance guy Monday.

((
    ))
    ((
    ))

Yeah, regularly review your policies. It can save a lot of head/heart ache. We won't know for a bit just how good or bad our insurance is, but so far we are good.

Pet pics to come, but the tortoise and box turtle are asleep for the season, so don't expect much.

Interestingly, when shits gets real you deal with it. While I would do somethings differently at least in theory, I just did what needed to be done. I could have saved a car or some photos, but I just did what I thought was more important, and in his sight I don't regret anything. If I saved my car, and heard a neighbor died I would have hated myself. I think I woke my neighbor (haven't talk to him yet), but if I did, and lost male car because of it...well, that I can live with. In a weird way, I almost, buy not quite, enjoyed it. It is like the ultimate campfire...would have been really great on acid, man!

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Damn. Not sure how I had missed this thread. Just read the whole thing.

Glad you got your family out.

And the soapbox warning is appreciated. Me and the Tobogganesse will definitely be having a chat about getting better organized and prepared for the unexpected.

You've got all of us in your corner, let us know what you need both short and/or long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yeah, regularly review your policies. It can save a lot of head/heart ache. We won't know for a bit just how good or bad our insurance is, but so far we are good.

Pet pics to come, but the tortoise and box turtle are asleep for the season, so don't expect much.

Interestingly, when shits gets real you deal with it. While I would do somethings differently at least in theory, I just did what needed to be done. I could have saved a car or some photos, but I just did what I thought was more important, and in his sight I don't regret anything. If I saved my car, and heard a neighbor died I would have hated myself. I think I woke my neighbor (haven't talk to him yet), but if I did, and lost male car because of it...well, that I can live with. In a weird way, I almost, buy not quite, enjoyed it. It is like the ultimate campfire...would have been really great on acid, man!
    I think you did great! You quite possibly saved some neighbor's lives!

I should remind everyone of the importance of safety deposit boxes for important paperwork. Even if the bank burns down, the safe is designed to survive intact to a higher temperature rating than a home safe. I think a home safe in a fire like Hutash's would have survived...but the papers inside would have been smoldering ash.

We are proud of you for holding it all together, Hutash!!

And keeping it real.

My condolences, I wish you and your family as speedy a recovery as possible. Vibes to all your friends and neighbors that suffered loss as well.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Wow, missed this thread. Holy shit, hutash, glad you are alive!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Holy shit! Happy to hear you're not dead.
    So happy to hear you made it out alive, stuff is easy to replace, people not so much. I’ ve got plenty of skis & gear to spare, especially if your a 27.5. Maggots take care of maggots.
    "Shredding the Gnar Like the Cowboys We Are"
    www.alaskaheliskiing.com

would have been really great on acid, man!

Insurance usually does well on cars. Typically a retail number as opposed to a trade value or wholesale figure.

You will probably get to upgrade to a newer one so that's a plus.

This is actually a good time to buy if you get your check soon enough.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    im just gonna leave this here cause i knows yall will come around fine

while i wait for the shell kids pics
    call or pm if ya need help replacing gear on sfbro form
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Holy shit, Dave. Just saw this. It's a tremendous emotional experience to lose everything.
    All the best. Fire is the ultimate cleanser. You get a clean start now.

Good luck, man. Yeah, I've been thinking lately about when shit gets real and happens, it's fast. Fortunately, not too fast in your case.

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but sometimes I think, man, to have everything you own get turned into ash while getting out of it physically intact is possibly a better place to be than some alternatives. I dealt with extreme smoke damage for a few years once. It totally sucked. Or all those people in Houston that will be repairing their structures for maybe years. This way, you start out fresh. You might like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Good luck, man. Yeah, I've been thinking lately about when shit gets real and happens, it's fast. Fortunately, not too fast in your case.

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but sometimes I think, man, to have everything you own get turned into ash while getting out of it physically intact is possibly a better place to be than some alternatives. I dealt with extreme smoke damage for a few years once. It totally sucked. Or all those people in Houston that will be repairing their structures for maybe years. This way, you start out fresh. You might like it.
    Yep, that is really true.

iscariot

Glad to see you made it out, animals and peps alike. Things can be replaced, you cannot. Good luck, and hoping your rebuild goes well.

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app