Schweitzer Mountain backcountry

Anyone ski backcountry at schweitzer mountain? I'm seeking a solid group of people to hike big blue with this season.
    Thanks!

Go Cougs! Havent been to Schweitzer, spend all my time at Brundage with the schools ski team, but I gauruntee there are some people out there in the palouse area... I recall someone posting a similar question to yours about Schweitzer on the "palouse free and for sale" facebook page, might be worth a search.

Go Vandals

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

I been to Schweitzer few times and the conditions were not great every time I go there. That’s because I only go when it’s free.... haha

But when I go there, I do see the gate and wonder what lies beyond that gate... I’ve been waiting for locals or peeps who’s been back there to go. I’m definitely down to going there on Toyota free day again this season.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Go Vandals
    The word "vandal" can not be used in a sentence unless accompanied by the word "loser". This is a true fact of proper English.
    More cowbell!!!

Would go Donk's....I mean Broncos, be better?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Would go Donk's....I mean Broncos, be better?
    Of course! Sorry for the thread hijack.
    More cowbell!!!

A quick look on Google Earth shows ya whats out there. The first three peaks/basins to the north look rad and fairly quick to get to and lap.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

There’s a small crew who hit it often back when I skied there a few years ago; I’m sure they’re still at it. Look for a 6’ Amazon woman who absolutely rips, and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    There’s a small crew who hit it often back when I skied there a few years ago; I’m sure they’re still at it. Look for a 6’ Amazon woman who absolutely rips, and say hi.
    You mean Desiree'? She's skiing mostly at Red and WW now. She's been gone for a couple of years.

Yep, that’s her. Didn’t know she’d moved on.

If you go north past Big Blue (first peak from the area), you can follow the ridgeline along the Redneck Traverse out past Sunokee to Keokee and drop into any of those drainages, work your way back south and ultimately up the Trail of Tears and back to The Outback lodge, up Stella, and back to the main area. You can also go down the Keokee ridgeline, north of Keokee Creek drainage and go to the Caribou Lodge if you wanted to do a multi-day tour. Lots and lots of stuff out that way. I've skied a lot of that, including the Caribou Lodge thing. It's fun terrain with plenty to do. I've got a pretty good route map somewhere, probably on my home computer, that I will post up if I locate it.

We spend a lot of our time going through the gate at the top of the Triple heading somewhat SW to Uleda Ridge and skiing Solar Ecstasy or into Uleda Bowl. That's usually where we head on Saturday afternoons. Fun 2-3 hours of backcountry before beer-thirty. You need to be cognizant of the conditions off Uleda as it's the leeward side of the prevailing winds and is subject to stability issues plus a usually large over-hanging cornice. You can see it easily from the top of the Triple and recognize the size of the cornice. Again, plenty of stuff to entertain out of that gate.

Yep, that’s her. Didn’t know she’d moved on.
    Yeah, I really don't know what happened but she's a bit of a butterfly. I've skied with her a ton and have traveled on filming trips with her a bunch. I haven't talked to her in a couple of years. She deleted her FB account and just kind of disappeared.

^^^ I just assumed she was still there; didn’t she own a condo in the village? I haven’t heard from her in years either.

^^ No, she just did seasonal rentals for a few years.

now that we've helped you out, its your turn:
    naked pix of your GF or get the fuck out!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    If you go north past Big Blue (first peak from the area), you can follow the ridgeline along the Redneck Traverse out past Sunokee to Keokee and drop into any of those drainages, work your way back south and ultimately up the Trail of Tears and back to The Outback lodge, up Stella, and back to the main area. You can also go down the Keokee ridgeline, north of Keokee Creek drainage and go to the Caribou Lodge if you wanted to do a multi-day tour. Lots and lots of stuff out that way. I've skied a lot of that, including the Caribou Lodge thing. It's fun terrain with plenty to do. I've got a pretty good route map somewhere, probably on my home computer, that I will post up if I locate it.

We spend a lot of our time going through the gate at the top of the Triple heading somewhat SW to Uleda Ridge and skiing Solar Ecstasy or into Uleda Bowl. That's usually where we head on Saturday afternoons. Fun 2-3 hours of backcountry before beer-thirty. You need to be cognizant of the conditions off Uleda as it's the leeward side of the prevailing winds and is subject to stability issues plus a usually large over-hanging cornice. You can see it easily from the top of the Triple and recognize the size of the cornice. Again, plenty of stuff to entertain out of that gate.
    Fucking solid info right there. I have nothin to add.

go cougs

Well, I can't seem to find that route map for Caribou Lodge I was talking about. However, I did find this which might be helpful. This is the view from Caribou looking to the SSW at Schweitzer with the peaks named.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Well, I can't seem to find that route map for Caribou Lodge I was talking about. However, I did find this which might be helpful. This is the view from Caribou looking to the SSW at Schweitzer with the peaks named.

Wow thank you so much this is great info!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    now that we've helped you out, its your turn:
    naked pix of your GF or get the fuck out!
    Sure anything for you guys! https://i.imgur.com/0iEiY0z.jpg

you should contact Bdog325,
    i bet you two have a lot in common .....

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Sure anything for you guys! https://i.imgur.com/0iEiY0z.jpg
    Um, yeah....didn't need to see that...

Anyway, here is a map of the route we took going to Caribou from the top of the t-bar at Schweitzer. You can use this tool from Hillmap.com to replicate or for any other routes you want to map. It's a great route maker.

Path: 5.47 miles long; 1393 ft gained; 2603 ft lost.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schweitzer-Caribou.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	505.7 KB 
ID:	218319

From Caribou, you can tour all over that area like over to Mt. Casey or anywhere off Caribou Ridge is good. Or, as you can see from the topo, the first two drainages north of the t-bar have great pitches and usually good snow.

Great day at Schweitzer yesterday. Front side was thin, lots of rocks at the bottom of the triple and bottom of KMacs so we did a couple of laps through the gate at the top of the triple into Larch Park. Better coverage than I expected and not too many tracks. Snow was about 8 inches with big hoar on top. Really fast and fun snow on the NE aspect. Beautiful weather. Today, a little overcast and coverage is getting even thinner. If we don't get some snow soon, it's not really worth going up next weekend.