Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Katana VWERKS and Vipec /Tecton

I am thinking of a VWerks Katana with Fritschi Tecton combo, as the most chargeable-while-still-skinnable ski. However, i have some concerns over the binding mount.

There's a thread on mounting dynafits on the carbo katana, where someone mentions mounting a Fritschi Vipec on a BMT with screws falling outside of the reinforced H-mounting area (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...87#post4583087).
    Looking at the mount area and Tecton-template (http://www.earnyourturns.com/wp-cont...t-area_15x.gif and https://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry...ton-1-2017.pdf), it appears all heel screws will fall right at the (inner) edge of the H area.
    Other than that, I have heard nothing about this combo. Does anyone have first hand experience with a) mounting a vipec to a katana/BMT ski? b) mounting any other binding outside of the H area?

https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns

Looks good, I say go for it.

Be ready to encounter air voids in the core when you drill, even within the mount area. As long as the screws snug up ok, you're good. Take extra care.

Oops my bad...you said vipec..not kingpin. Duh.

Carry on

I've mounted loads of V-Werks skis with lots of different bindings that have mounting locations outside the pattern and I can't see any difference in the core between holes within the pattern and those outside - and I'm mostly installing inserts so I'm drilling big holes so can see the core as well as 'feel it' when tapping the holes.

My conclusion is that there's no actual reinforced pattern at all and that it was all a marketing scam from Volkl/Marker to get you to buy their bindings.

And IIRC they've now dropped their "you must use (Marker) bindings withing the pattern or our warranty is void" crap and now they just say that they "recommend the use of Marker bindings".

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns......Be ready to encounter air voids in the core when you drill, even within the mount area.......
    +1.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 12-06-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post

My conclusion is that there's no actual reinforced pattern at all and that it was all a marketing scam from Volkl/Marker to get you to buy their bindings.
    Agreed.

thanks all, that sounds confidence inspiring. Will report back (if and) once this combo sees the light of day.

I am also looking to mount Tectons on a Vwerks ski.

I personally prefer a larger ramp angle than stock. So, I would prefer to get a heel shim <= 4mm high that will also provide structural reinforcement. Any recommendations on where to look for a shim / reinforcing plate for a Tecton heel?

I have some BMT 94 with Ion 12, but I'm willing to go lighter.
    Do you think I could mount some Plum Race bindings instead of the Ion ? There should be at least about 10mm between the old holes and the new ones, and I think all the new holes would be outside the reinforced area that may be a marketing BS.

What do you think ? Thanks.

Do you wear Spandex?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I have ions on vwerks katanas, and the binding area is definitely not just marketing Bs. Definitely air outside the template.

You can go lighter, but run the rush of pre releasing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

There's air inside the template, too.

I was pretty fucking careful mounting some BMTs... and was surprised to drill into a void within the bullshit "mount area"... pretty sure it's just a marketing spin.

What are you guys mounting on your Vwerks katana? Was thinking of tecton but am now inclined to go lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    I personally prefer a larger ramp angle than stock. So, I would prefer to get a heel shim <= 4mm high that will also provide structural reinforcement. Any recommendations on where to look for a shim / reinforcing plate for a Tecton heel?
    For just a shim, you can buy 1/8" (3mm) aluminum flat bar drops on ebay pretty cheap and drill your own holes. Doesn't have to be pretty to get the job done. I did this for use with ZeroG boots, which really reduce ramp compared to fully rockered AT boots.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    What are you guys mounting on your Vwerks katana? Was thinking of tecton but am now inclined to go lighter.
    G3 ion

Has anyone snapped a pair of V-werx yet and can cut them up to confirm or deny the ‘H’ myth?

Looking to put some Shifts’s on a 184 Katana this year for my absolute dream set up...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I mounted mine with dynafits and G3 ions, different skis.

No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I mounted mine with dynafits and G3 ions, different skis.

No problem.

Yeah, I have a pair with Dynafits which have been fine. Just looking to get more info on the matter as the Katana/Shift combo will get much harder use.

what an interesting ski design feature. air voids and imaginary hostage plates. smh.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Yeah, I have a pair with Dynafits which have been fine. Just looking to get more info on the matter as the Katana/Shift combo will get much harder use.

My vwerks katana with the G3 ions saw pretty hard skiing, a fair amount of icy groomers on the way to the to goods.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Has anyone snapped a pair of V-werx yet and can cut them up to confirm or deny the ‘H’ myth?

Looking to put some Shifts’s on a 184 Katana this year for my absolute dream set up...

There's a video somewhere of v werks production which shows that the underside of the core was grooved to reduce material and weight. There's no "H", though it has been hypothesized that the recommended marker mounts do not fall on the grooved underside sections of the core.

I mounted dynafits in my bmt's and love the set up

I'm going to throw some Solomon Mtn bindings on my bmt 109s. Did you use epoxy? Or just regular wood glue? Someone told me to use epoxy and turn them upside down to cure. Any truth to that does anyone know?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    I'm going to throw some Solomon Mtn bindings on my bmt 109s. Did you use epoxy? Or just regular wood glue? Someone told me to use epoxy and turn them upside down to cure. Any truth to that does anyone know?
    The epoxy-upside-down was an idea I had for inserts (to lock the bottom of the insert in place), for screws I'd just use Gorilla Glue and not worry about upside-down because the glue expands. It's been argued a thousand times, but personally I avoid wood glue because it's water based.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    The epoxy-upside-down was an idea I had for inserts (to lock the bottom of the insert in place), for screws I'd just use Gorilla Glue and not worry about upside-down because the glue expands. It's been argued a thousand times, but personally I avoid wood glue because it's water based.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post

I mounted a pair of Salomon MTN bindings on the V-werks Katana and did the epoxy/upside down cure per discussion on here. Made me feel a little bit better since I hit the air channels on the heel piece and I don't think it hurts anything vs Gorilla Glue.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I mounted a pair of Salomon MTN bindings on the V-werks Katana and did the epoxy/upside down cure per discussion on here. Made me feel a little bit better since I hit the air channels on the heel piece and I don't think it hurts anything vs Gorilla Glue.
    Yeah, no doubt a slightly more solid mount with epoxy, especially if the air voids are working against you. The only downside is the epoxy often sticks to the screws and tears out the threads cut into the ski when the bindings are removed, leaving bigger holes than usual. But other than that, no downside to epoxy. Gorilla Glue snaps cleanly at the screw interface and leaves nice glue-reinforced threads that can be reused if desired (negating the need for inserts sometimes, especially there's metal in the layup).