Wireless Helmet Audio

Any recommendations? I've never had any and know next to nothing about them. I'm mostly just interested in music (not phone calls) and want some that I can operate with gloves on or by voice (siri) for riding the chairlift. They need to be compatible with a smith vantage helmet. Do they just slip into the ear padding? Perhaps something like these Outdoor Tech ones?:
    https://www.outdoortechnology.com/co...products/chips

I have the Outdoor Tech ones. They're reliable, loud enough, and hold a charge for the whole weekend.

Overpriced, sure. But they do the trick, and its easy to pause so you can talk to your crew.

Why not Airpods? I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Why not Airpods? I love mine.
    How does the mic work with a helmet?

I just got them this summer so I haven't used them skiing yet (a buddy has and says they're great). But I have used them biking with a buff over the ears and them under the buff and the mic was crystal clear. They are far and away the best headphones wireless buds I've ever used.

Apple also has an awesome return policy (I think 14-days), but you can open and use them and return them for a full refund within the period. So no harm, no foul in giving them a try.

I was thinking about the airpods - and that the sound would be better. Are they the same size as regular apple headphones? I have to see if they are comfortable under my helmet. But was also worried I might lose them in the snow if taking my helmet off -- do they stay in well during activity?

If you want to avoid the cost and risk of AirPods, try using BT earbuds, like Phaiser BHS-760.
    $35 or so on Amazon.

Wire between earbuds can attach to back of collar. Wire retains buds. Sounds good. Buds aren't huge. Lots of ear size options. Control on wire.

Bumpajawea on this thread. I couldn't seem to find anything more recent. Maybe my Google-Fu is weak?

In any case, what's the story on helmet audio these days? I see Outdoor Tech still has a wireless option, but that seems about it... is that really the case?

I'm not one to use AirPods, mainly because they don't fit well under the earflaps of my helmet. What's everyone using? ODT Chip? Something else? Get off my lawn, you JONG?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Bumpajawea on this thread. I couldn't seem to find anything more recent. Maybe my Google-Fu is weak?

In any case, what's the story on helmet audio these days? I see Outdoor Tech still has a wireless option, but that seems about it... is that really the case?

I'm not one to use AirPods, mainly because they don't fit well under the earflaps of my helmet. What's everyone using? ODT Chip? Something else? Get off my lawn, you JONG?
    I'm using the ODT Chips Bluetooth units, and they work just fine. Not overly loud, and work well enough for the occasional phone call. Haven’t seen any other options, really... AirPods could work, but I could also see them being uncomfortable under ear flaps and such.

yep. I have been using the wireless Outdoor Tech chips w/ iphone in smith helmets for the last three seasons and like them a lot. Bought my wife a pair of the 2.0s, but we don't use the walkie talkie feature as mine are the older gen. I did get a really good price on them, but I would be happy paying more. loud enough, battery lasts a long time, phone calls work. I have air pods, but being able to easily start stop music and skip songs with gloves on makes the chips well worth it.

You should also consider these: https://www.wildhornoutfitters.com/p...met-headphones.

About half the price of the Outdoor Tech and sound a little better. Biggest advantage is having two controls on left speaker so you don't have to guess regarding volume up-down and other functions.

They have a coupon code on the site that gets them for under $60 and some nice packaging.

I'm a huge fan of the ODT Chips. Been using the same pair for like 3-4 seasons now. They work great for music and calls and are still holding a charge for a long time. Highly recommend.

Same experience here with the chips. The battery lasts forever. Sound is great. A simple tap to pause the music is really nice.

Agree on the chips. Long battery life, good sound and easy to use.

Wireless Helmet Audio

The chips are expensive and bulky. Grab a clip-on Bluetooth receiver off amazon for $15. Works great with any helmet speakers. I can text by voice in a packed tram, have Siri read my texts, make calls, etc. Also plays music great and I have yet to run down the battery.

I know, fuck Amazon, but I’ve had great results with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MU...b_b_asin_title
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    The chips are expensive and bulky. Grab a clip-on Bluetooth receiver off amazon for $15. Works great with any helmet speakers. I can text by voice in a packed tram, have Siri read my texts, make calls, etc. Also plays music great and I have yet to run down the battery.

I like this idea. I have some old wired helmet ear pad speakers from Skullcandy, which still work OK, but the wiring can be in the way sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I like wireless Beatsx and an Apple Watch. Don’t have to take the phone out.

https://www.beatsbydre.com/earphones/beats-x.

Small, sound good and the microphone isn’t inside the helmet.

One good thing about the chips is that if the battery runs out, you can use the 3.5mm cord that's also used for charging to hard wire.

Just finished with the two helmets and trying the chips vs the Alta Bluetooth speakers. The Alta's sound WAY better (actually have soe bottom end), and the two buttons on the left speaker make it a lot easier to figure out what function you want. Also, when they boot up they tell you how much power is remaining which is fine.

Also have a set-up using a Bluetooth adapter to go from the Ipod (with another adapter) to the speakers. Too much of a cludge. Who knew that an Ipod classic was going to be a dinosaur?

Quote Originally Posted by Woolie12 View Post
    You should also consider these: https://www.wildhornoutfitters.com/p...met-headphones.

About half the price of the Outdoor Tech and sound a little better. Biggest advantage is having two controls on left speaker so you don't have to guess regarding volume up-down and other functions.

They have a coupon code on the site that gets them for under $60 and some nice packaging.
    I like. I'll give 'em a look. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I like wireless Beatsx and an Apple Watch. Don’t have to take the phone out.

https://www.beatsbydre.com/earphones/beats-x.

Small, sound good and the microphone isn’t inside the helmet.
    That's a nice, simple solution. However, I don't have any exisiting, wired speakers. My last pair of Skullcandy speaker were junk and died accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolie12 View Post
    One good thing about the chips is that if the battery runs out, you can use the 3.5mm cord that's also used for charging to hard wire.

Just finished with the two helmets and trying the chips vs the Alta Bluetooth speakers. The Alta's sound WAY better (actually have soe bottom end), and the two buttons on the left speaker make it a lot easier to figure out what function you want. Also, when they boot up they tell you how much power is remaining which is fine.
    Good beta on the sound quality. I do like the ability to listen to music even if the battery dies. That's big.