Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    So you spent time in Waikiki? Did you pick up a Lois Vuitton handbag and eat at Duke's? Totally local bra! Throw me a shaka! Hang loose Brah! You were a Haole, the whole time you were there and you'll never graduate from that.

I'm talking about living long term, outside the city. Oahu is a little different than Maui.
    wow. with all that aggression I'm sure plenny locals invite you back for dakine grindz.
    my aunt lived in Kaneohe many years so I've been going to Hawai'i for more than a week for long time,my bruddah.
    I lived in Palolo Valley and spent plenny time on north shore, so CALM DOWN.
    ever met Andy Bumatai ? Rabbit ? Henry Kapono ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GkzB6aXEV0
    I speak good pidgin, too...so chill
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Which ocean is this spanish speaking tropical windmill island with bad food in?

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    The wet one.

Where everyone is a local and they all speak like a white Jamaican.

Just ask Benny, he’s from there.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    wow. with all that aggression I'm sure plenny locals invite you back for dakine grindz.
    my aunt lived in Kaneohe many years so I've been going to Hawai'i for more than a week for long time,my bruddah.
    I lived in Palolo Valley and spent plenny time on north shore, so CALM DOWN.
    ever met Andy Bumatai ? Rabbit ? Henry Kapono ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GkzB6aXEV0
    I speak good pidgin, too...so chill
    Haha, the Maui locs would eat your haole ass alive.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Where everyone is a local and they all speak like a white Jamaican.
    English accent then. In a pith and knee-high socks.

Haha, the Maui locs would eat your haole ass alive.
    Who? Don Nelson, Woody Harrelson, Willie Neslon and Owen Wilson?

Ya, tough crowd.

I'm going to have to agree a little with willy here. My mom moved there in 1987. I've been maybe 20-25 times over the last 30 years and sometimes for long stretches. I have never once felt an anti-hoale vibe. In fact, I've felt more negative vibes skiing in Montana than I've ever felt in HI.

Difficult question. Easier to think of what country I WOULDN'T want to live in:

North Korea....been there. Too strange, even for me. The 30 foot banners on the government buildings, the "minders" and the propaganda spewing loudspeakers on top of every other electrical pole were a bit unnerving. Imagine if tRump had those loudspeakers here. Wait...he has Twitter.

Somalia...Yemen...Nigeria...Saudi Arabia: No thanks, sir!!!

Iceland? Uh uh. I like trees too much. Gorgeous women, though!

North Korea is a weird place. Every house has only photos of "The Great One".

They love Gretzky? huh.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Who? Don Nelson, Woody Harrelson, Willie Neslon and Owen Wilson?

Ya, tough crowd.

I'm going to have to agree a little with willy here. My mom moved there in 1987. I've been maybe 20-25 times over the last 30 years and sometimes for long stretches. I have never once felt an anti-hoale vibe. In fact, I've felt more negative vibes skiing in Montana than I've ever felt in HI.
    Not talking about visiting Mommy and Auntie in Honolulu boys. I'm talking about long term living, out in the hills or country, not the cities. I too have family there in Waikiki and never got the vibe there either. Never got the vibe visiting Maui either. But there's a big difference between vacation and long term life where you try to ingratiate yourself to the local community. There is a divide. If you can ignore it and live happily, go for it. Not saying that it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    You forget the full of white middle class skiers part so none of us have to deal with foreign culture.

Yeah, but does anyone know Rabbit?

And AKR has been to North Korea? What the fuck?

In What Country Would You Live if not Your Current Country?

Not talking about visiting Mommy and Auntie in Honolulu boys. I'm talking about long term living, out in the hills or country, not the cities. I too have family there in Waikiki and never got the vibe there either. Never got the vibe visiting Maui either. But there's a big difference between vacation and long term life where you try to ingratiate yourself to the local community. There is a divide. If you can ignore it and live happily, go for it. Not saying that it can't be done.
    I've lived for extended periods in more small towns than I can count on my two hands, and in every case, there is an element that uses a self-defined term of 'local' as a whip against newcomers. The vast majority of these individuals exhibit a lower standard of education, world exposure, and rely heavily on the success of their forefathers to sustain their standard of living. Those members of the community that have traveled, have on average a higher level of education, and are successful in their own right (often also with the same or more resources passed down through the generations) only use the term local in passing jest, and are great ambassadors to their community. That said, it never pays to fuck with an established family, so minding the P's and Q's until you know how everyone is related is just good diplomacy. Understandably, those indigenous populations that have undergone historical (and ongoing) atrocities at the hand of whitey are bit tougher to crack, but it is doable.
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 12-06-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I’d move to Minnesotaland, buy a used Sonata, eat over cooked utility grade meat and pursue fat soccer moms. I’d dream of skiing real mountains and eventually fade to a disgruntled old man, watching re-runs of Law & Order, all day in my boxers and wife beater.
    Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I've lived for extended periods in more small towns than I can count on my two hands, and in every case, there is an element that uses a self-defined term of 'local' as a whip against newcomers. The vast majority of these individuals exhibit a lower standard of education, world exposure, and rely heavily on the success of their forefathers to sustain their standard of living. Those members of the community that have traveled, have on average a higher level of education, and are successful in their own right (often also with the same or more resources passed down through the generations) only use the term local in passing jest, and are great ambassadors to their community. That said, it never pays to fuck with an established family, so minding the P's and Q's until you how everyone is related is just good diplomacy. Understandably, those indigenous populations that have undergone historical (and ongoing) atrocities at the hand of whitey are bit tougher to crack, but it is doable.
    Well said.
    Point is, people call themselves "Locals" in many tourist towns on the mainland after living there for a few weeks. "I got an Epic pass, I'm a local now!" Try that in places like we are discussing and there will be consequences. It just depends on whether you are willing to put in the significant time and effort that it takes to get there. It is a much easier thing to accomplish in any town here on the mainland than it is on "Some Island in the Pacific".

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I've lived for extended periods in more small towns than I can count on my two hands, and in every case, there is an element that uses a self-defined term of 'local' as a whip against newcomers. The vast majority of these individuals exhibit a lower standard of education, world exposure, and rely heavily on the success of their forefathers to sustain their standard of living. Those members of the community that have traveled, have on average a higher level of education, and are successful in their own right (often also with the same or more resources passed down through the generations) only use the term local in passing jest, and are great ambassadors to their community. That said, it never pays to fuck with an established family, so minding the P's and Q's until you how everyone is related is just good diplomacy. Understandably, those indigenous populations that have undergone historical (and ongoing) atrocities at the hand of whitey are bit tougher to crack, but it is doable.
    I get a good laugh when The Dog tries to bro down with the locals. I've been scared in Brazil many times in precarious situations and always managed to keep my cool and walk away. I'm a big guy and speak portugeuse pretty well. exude a good vibe and it'll come back. Oahu up country isn't scarey, unless you're a shit talkin kook
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

If i have to leave Fernie (that's crazy talk by the way)
    I'm going to somewhere similar in Montana, never going anywhere near a city.
    If I don't have to ski, maybe Costa Rica or similar.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Yeah, but does anyone know Rabbit?

And AKR has been to North Korea? What the fuck?
    Three times...it was work-related, through the Russian-American joint venture company I had worked with. It was also a couple years before Dubya declared NK part of the Axis of Evil. We were FAR north of Pyongyang. In a real outpost region that was and no doubt still is far more dystopic than Pyongyang. Got a lot of stories from my adventures there that I still have to put to paper. The fact that it was without a doubt the strangest place I've ever been to makes the memories remain as vivid as if yesterday...so compiling them is easy. Just gotta get back to work on it. Taking photos was frowned upon in a VERY big way, but I still managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Three times...it was work-related, through the Russian-American joint venture company I had worked with. It was also a couple years before Dubya declared NK part of the Axis of Evil. We were FAR north of Pyongyang. In a real outpost region that was and no doubt still is far more dystopic than Pyongyang. Got a lot of stories from my adventures there that I still have to put to paper. The fact that it was without a doubt the strangest place I've ever been to makes the memories remain as vivid as if yesterday...so compiling them is easy. Just gotta get back to work on it. Taking photos was frowned upon in a VERY big way, but I still managed.
    Wow, that’s crazy. Would enjoy hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    I get a good laugh when The Dog tries to bro down with the locals. I've been scared in Brazil many times in precarious situations and always managed to keep my cool and walk away. I'm a big guy and speak portugeuse pretty well. exude a good vibe and it'll come back. Oahu up country isn't scarey, unless you're a shit talkin kook
    Does Dog know Rabbit?

We're all from somewhere and the last person in wants to build the biggest fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    We're all from somewhere and the last person in wants to build the biggest fence.
    True that!!! 👍

I can't help but think of tRump and his wall.

As far as food goes, some of the most famous chefs in the world are Germans (Wolfgang Puck, eg.). None became famous for cooking German food.

Some of the best pizza I've ever had was in Honduras and Costa Rica, Chinese food was in Montreal, Mexican food in SLC, and Indian food in Toronto.

What were we talking about again?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    As far as food goes, some of the most famous chefs in the world are Germans (Wolfgang Puck, eg.). None became famous for cooking German food.

Some of the best pizza I've ever had was in Honduras and Costa Rica, Chinese food was in Montreal, Mexican food in SLC, and Indian food in Toronto.

What were we talking about again?
    He's Austrian.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Huh, you're right. Had no idea - even bullshitted with him about my old neighborhood in Munich.

Rest of my post still stands... food these days is international. Shit, Tokyo has more Michelin rated restaurants than Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Wow, that’s crazy. Would enjoy hearing about it.
    No doubt, would also enjoy hearing about your travels there.