Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winter Commuter Glove Rec's?

21 degrees on the ride to work this morning and my fingers got wrecked so it looks like I need a glove upgrade (I'm currently using these https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Runni.../dp/B00MWCSNKI). Any recommendations for gloves for 10-25 degree temperatures with enough dexterity to work shifters? Waterproof isn't necessary, I have no plans to ride in the snow. Just need something for cold dry mornings.

Could be different for a commute where you may not completely warm up before you arrive, but on longer rides, I've had terrible luck with thick gloves that don't block wind, and great luck with thinner gloves that do.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Short ski gloves work pretty well for winter commuting.

Most "winter" biking gloves are a bit too light to keep hands warm in a 10-15mph headwind for me.

Free The Pow Lobster Mitts.

That's what I'd buy if I didn't already have Pearl Izumi Lobster mitts.

If you always ride the same bike on the commute, check out bar mitts. They are neoprene shells that go on the handlebar. They are great for extended rides where your hands get too sweaty in thick gloves, but you still need something for wind blockage etc.

4.5 miles to the office, all downhill or flat, takes 15 minutes tops. My commuter bike is kinda ghetto and has the funky Altus brake/shifter combo with the upshift lever on top of the brake. I tried them out with my ski gloves but it was really, really awkward and not good for being in traffic. I have to imagine that lobsters would be even worse. I'm hoping to avoid going full retard with bar mitts. Bag's windproof suggestion is probably the ticket. Suggestions?

Bar mitts are the shit, don't discount them. I think they look like you know what you're doing. But I'd also check out OR Versaliners? Never used them, but they're affordable and look like they'd work well.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Bar mitts are the shit, don't discount them. I think they look like you know what you're doing. But I'd also check out OR Versaliners? Never used them, but they're affordable and look like they'd work well.
    They look like you know what you're doing in Texas which is enough of a reason not to do so.

I've had good luck with a pair of softshell gloves that were lightly insulated in the back and then a pair of the waffle liners that Hestra sells. This does me good in MT until about 10F or so, after that I break out an old pair of Hestras that have ripped at the seam enough they're no good for snow but do fine in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    They look like you know what you're doing in Texas which is enough of a reason not to do so...
    Bullshit. They are a fixture of MN year round bike commuters and fat bikers for a reason. You don't know cold until you've ridden through a winter in the upper plains.

I just bought a pair of Free The Powder Spring Glove specifically for cold winter biking.
    For reference, the XL is notably snugger than my size 11 Hestra VCFs and I’m thinking they’ll be great once they pack out and confirm a bit. Would buy an XXL if they had one.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I have brand new with tag pearl izumi lobster mitts in size small (fit like M), PM if interested

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    ... if I didn't already have Pearl Izumi Lobster mitts.
    Those were going to be my recommendation. Warm like ski gloves, but shaped more for bicycling. If it's too cold for those gloves, it's too cold for me to be on a bike.

For cold weather emergencies, stick some latex work gloves in your bike bag. They'll add a little warmth when you're desperate.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I use a light welding glove. I snowsealed the living shit out of them so they're flexible and grippy. They're lined so they a bit of insulation but thin enough to be able to move easily.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Bar mitts are the bomb. I can wear my regular riding gloves inside them. I got the 45nrth cobrafist.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    They look like you know what you're doing in Texas which is enough of a reason not to do so.
    Yeah and I used to live in MI. Speaking of, OP I have a brand new pair of Bar Mitts that haven't got used since I moved here. If you'd be interested, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah and I used to live in MI. Speaking of, OP I have a brand new pair of Bar Mitts that haven't got used since I moved here. If you'd be interested, PM me.
    My wife just got a fat bike and has cold hand issues, if you want to get rid of them she'd be keen.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Hestra Ergo Grip Active 32950

Corny video but shows the gloves well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4og_9IBXAek

Kincos - the do it all glove. Warm enough yet still breathes. Have used for MTB with temps in the 20’s and were darn near perfect.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Pogies or bar mitts are the solution. Who gives a hoot what they look like if you're comfortable and happy. Look at the ones for snowmobiles, they're way cheaper than the bike ones.

I have no doubt bar mitts are awesome, but they seem excessive for a 15 minute ride. Dug around my gear room a bit and found a pair of gore tex spring ski gloves I had forgotten about. Gonna try those tomorrow. I dig the idea to use a latex glove as a wind/vapor barrier liner and will try that out too.

It's key to have some wind resistance. I tried some cheaper swix gloves and they are pretty mediocre for riding. Bulky, but not very warm and not water or wind resistant.

I'm fairly happy with my pearl izumi softshell gloves, just wish they didn't have the padding in the palm which adds bulk (they do make versions without it). Fairly comfortable when it's in the mid-high 20 and a little much when it gets closer to 40. I also have the "lite" version which has no padding and a softshell back.

Next step would be some of the lobster gloves. I went out fatbiking when it was like -8 one time and my ski gloves worked ok. If I did that on a regular basis I'd want some bar mitts though.

Dan, what size glove do you wear? If you can wear a medium, I️ think I️ have some options for you.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

https://www.rei.com/product/776693/d...er-bike-gloves

Been using these a few years now. Keeps my hands warm in the teens temp-wise. 3-5 mile commute.

The little floppy cover is nice.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I've used a varied assortment of mitts and gloves - found the following to work reasonably well down to ~-30C
    A pair of OR expedition mitt shells, using a light down mitt, basic fleece glove or light ski touring glove as a liner - change once warmed up or as weather demands. I think that latter could work out alright for your scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Dan, what size glove do you wear? If you can wear a medium, I️ think I️ have some options for you.
    I have hobbit hands. Wear smalls in most bike and ski gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    https://www.rei.com/product/776693/d...er-bike-gloves

Been using these a few years now. Keeps my hands warm in the teens temp-wise. 3-5 mile commute.

The little floppy cover is nice.
    Look nice, but appear to be discontinued and unavailable.

The spring gloves I scrounged up last night worked pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Pogies or bar mitts are the solution. Who gives a hoot what they look like if you're comfortable and happy. Look at the ones for snowmobiles, they're way cheaper than the bike ones.
    This ^^

back in the day I made a set for riding my motor cycle year round in all weather in rain/snow/ cold weatehr, I used a 16" section of car inner tube, I turned it inside out sewed one end shut with fishline, cut a hole for the hand in that end, turned it right side out

Its nice to be able to put your hand in or out of a pogie easily so I sewed a piece of heavy guage solid elecrtical wire into the rim of the hole so my hand could easily fit thru, taped it all to the bar with electrical tape or bungy or SFT

completely water proof/ easy to get in n out of/ basicly free, I could ride for hrs my hands stayed dry and they worked awesume

I found a inner tube in my dads shop but you could probably make something like that with coated nylon, just off the top of my head hacking the sleeves off of an old rain shell and sewing the end shut would work awesume
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-06-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know