WTB size 45/46 winter riding boots

Anybody have a pair that is taking up space in a closet they aren't planning on using? Needs to be SPD compatible. I'm realizing this is the weak link in my kit.

If you don't have a pair for sale, but have a recommendation on what to get, let me know. Am currently looking at the Shimano MW80 or 81. Looks to be pretty good value, but open to other suggestions.

Seth

I just joined a Facebook group called https://www.facebook.com/groups/fatbiketrader/ and I recall seeing some 45N boots http://45nrth.com/products/wolvhammer in your size on there a couple days ago. Lots of deals to be had.

Thanks! Awaiting approval.

Just an FYI:

I love my Lake Mxz303’s.
    Ride everyday, in a broad variety of conditions.

Thanks guys. There IS a nice deal on a pair of the 45NRTH boots. Thanks homemadesalsa! I'm pretty sure that the fat bike more than took care of the Christmas present for 2017, so I'm going to have to think of a different funding mechanism for the boots.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Anybody have a pair that is taking up space in a closet they aren't planning on using? Needs to be SPD compatible.

If you don't have a pair for sale, but have a recommendation on what to get, let me know.
    spd shoes are like ski boots in that they gotta fit, unless you know what your brand is I duno how do you intend to find that out thru a keyboard but if yer that broke just buy shoe covers for your summer shoes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    spd shoes are like ski boots in that they gotta fit...
    There is some truth there, but I've bought many shoes online that all "fit". I have a pair of 45 specialized mtb shoes bought in a shop that fit just a hair on the tight side. I have a pair of 46 Shimano road shoes that fit just a hair on the loose side (bought on TGR, actually). Could they fit better and be a little more comfortable? Probably. We all make value judgements - how much are we willing to spend to get the level of performance out of the equipment that we want. In most cases (me especially), I want more from my gear than I actually need.

In this case, I'm giving the whole winter riding/fat biking thing a try. Trying to find that balance point between not spending so little money that it's no fun (or I get frostbite) but keep the cost down as much as possible so as not to interfere with other expenses.

I was looking at shoe covers yesterday, and those are a viable option for sure. Was also thinking about flat pedals and hiking/winter boots. Some of my friends go that way, but I'm not a fan of the flats (yet, at least).

Seth

I have the 45nrth fasterkatts. They're fine, but have a limit. I saw 28 yesterday on my garmin, and while my feet were never actually cold, they weren't warm and toasty either. They are definitely warmer than my road shoes + covers though. I think if I had a fat bike I would just use winter boots and flats, which is what I've done the few times I rode one since the fasterkatts aren't warm enough.

well get all you can for your money, YMMV but my "brand" is Specialized because 3 pairs have fit very well so far and so I don'tt even look at other brands

shoe covers work awesume, good in the rain too

I did a group ride with a bunch of fat bikers last month, there was only an inch of snow on the ground so I didnt have a fat bike but my yeti did fine

What didnt work was SPD's for myself and another guy riding SPD's, it may have just been the temp at just around freezing but the cleat completly clogged/froze and the pedal became a lump of ice, the guy with egg beaters didnt seem to have a problem

I would be tempted to go with flats for snow biking ... which would save you $$

I used SPD for years.

I’m moving completely to flats this year. Multiple bikes, various conditions, Yada, yada, yada.
    It’s just easier.

Plus I’m fucking old.

Just get neoprene shoe covers, they’re great, work in the rain, don’t have to buy anything special, simple, cheap etc.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Shoe covers don't work as well on a mtb shoe because of the sole, and they are kind of a pain to get done up, and you can't adjust your shoes once they're on. Plus that metal plate and cleat and pedal don't help. I can feel that cold spot under my foot when I ride with regular mtb shoes in colder weather.

I do use shoe covers on my road shoes, and while it works ok, it is definitely a less warm setup than my fasterkatts. Today it was 27-28 again and my feet were pretty cold by the time I got home. I think my right shoe was a little tight though since only that foot was bothering me.

yeah the rubber sheet of the neoprene shoe cover bottom gets in the way so you gotta cut it away until it does not interfere with the cleat and toe spikes if you got em (I did) but my SPD cleat completely plugged with snow and froze, the pedal completly plugged and froze so I was trail riding while standing on a lump of ice so I'm just wondering if that always happens with SPD's ( mine are the old style) or if its only at some temps??

I also have some Gortex booties from MEC which I have used to tour 6 hrs in some serious drivivng rain storms and they work awesume, I ended the day with most of the shoe dry

There are mtb shoe specific covers that are pretty much open on the bottom for the soles. I couldn't even get my covers over my mtb shoes when I tried. Also, in addition to the cleat and pedal sometimes getting jammed up, you can also wind up with snow and ice (or just mud/dirt/water) between the cover and shoe.

The covers are kind of pricey and they shred after a while. And like others said, they leak from under.

The issue I've had with flats is icing up. I supposed that depends on the specific flat, but when that happens it really sucks.

I might bite the bullet and invest in a true winter boot as well, but I'm not big on being clipped in on icy surfaces and yeah I have studs, but I don't like studs on all our granite features that don't really hold snow. I'm just fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The covers are kind of pricey and they shred after a while
    yeah most people complain about that ^^ and so here is the part where i ask them why they didn't fix the rips in the overbootie with c-cement or AQS?

instead of reducing them to expensive shreds of neoprene ?

still beats the fuck out of putting your feet into safeway shopping bags inside the shoe