Climbing skin question

Hey,

Just signed up for avy 1 and ordered a pair of skins-- will be brand new to going uphill.

They showed up and one of the skins has a bit of a run in the bottom where it is a bit raised.

Not sure how visible it is in the included picture.

I'm inclined to just shave it off with a razor blade.

Am I overlooking anything here? Is a small protrusion going to be an outsozed pain in the ass? Should they go back to backcountry?

You are going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    You are going to die.
    Goddamn it I was going to say that.

If you paid full price for the skins AND they're still brand new/uncut, sure send 'em back. Functionally they are 100% fine.

Cut it off with nailclippers and save yourself a trip to UPS, they are fine.

PS Welcome to the world of backcountry skiing. If you're really anal about the condition of your gear, you're going to have to start making some adjustments to your standards when it comes to your touring stuff. Shit happens out in the woods.

That's patented goat fart technology.

Makes you faster on the up.

I'd be more worried about that hair that will mess with your glue and really fuck you.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    PS Welcome to the world of backcountry skiing. If you're really anal about the condition of your gear, you're going to have to start making some adjustments to your standards when it comes to your touring stuff. Shit happens out in the woods.
    This is so true... I just recently learnt this, the hard way of course. Core shotting the relatively new Kastle fx95 trying to get back to the car before dark after it rained and washed our exit route away. It happens!

I think some of these new super light skins are really nice for the reduced weight but also easily cut
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think some of these new super light skins are really nice for the reduced weight but also easily cut
    Mine definitely seemed to rip ez. Im still on the fence though. My sew job is holding. Maybe if I had avoided one sharp rock I might be issue free for the life of them. Jury is still out. BD glue sticks well, hair traction is good, and the funky tip loop with the string is holding . Only 12-15 days in though. I think those backcountry.com skins are g3 though

Quote Originally Posted by 206 View Post

I'm inclined to just shave it off with a razor
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Multiple rocks hits on Grandpas quality Swiss skins from the 50's gafted onto some Pomoca skins from the 90's...just kept patching them up with shoe goo and good to go for years and years of coastal ski touring shit kickings. They were originally clip on skins but I pulled the clips and added glue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080016.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	218074
    Master of mediocrity.

My old tennant was telling me he patched a skin with AQS/shoogoo so its been done by more people than you and me

thats a pretty ghetto job there guido

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Multiple rocks hits on Grandpas quality Swiss skins from the 50's gafted onto some Pomoca skins from the 90's...just kept patching them up with shoe goo and good to go for years and years of coastal ski touring shit kickings. They were originally clip on skins but I pulled the clips and added glue.

You should start a thread that is nothing but gear mods and repairs. You bring impressive stoke in this area.

Climbing skin question

^^this. That should be your profile pic. Have to get back to that era of duct taped pants, 8” of missing edges and pieced together gear that just works despite the aesthetics. I like having a rip in every piece of gear I own

send it to me and for 25 $ I will put in the most beautiful rip

you realize you are egging Guido on to post shit about personal drones for skiing, exo skeletons and toilet seats with back rests?

humbled...

Why??? Just buy new skins. Why keep cobbling together skins from 50 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    send it to me and for 25 $ I will put in the most beautiful rip

you realize you are egging Guido on to post shit about personal drones for skiing, exo skeletons and toilet seats with back rests?
    Thanks but I’ve proven myself quite capable of ripping most things if not everything. If not it has a bike grease stain
    FKNA to the toilet seat back rest. The older I get the more my life centres around snappin a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post

Friggin things look like real seal skin. Are they? If so that's a cool piece of history.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Why??? Just buy new skins. Why keep cobbling together skins from 50 years ago?
    Its that kind of attitude that puts our precious earth at risk. you should be ashamed of your consumer driven, wasteful self.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Its that kind of attitude that puts our precious earth at risk. you should be ashamed of your consumer driven, wasteful self.
    Eaxclty. Now fire up the heli!