Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28

    Climbing skin question

    Hey,

    Just signed up for avy 1 and ordered a pair of skins-- will be brand new to going uphill.

    They showed up and one of the skins has a bit of a run in the bottom where it is a bit raised.

    Not sure how visible it is in the included picture.

    I'm inclined to just shave it off with a razor blade.

    Am I overlooking anything here? Is a small protrusion going to be an outsozed pain in the ass? Should they go back to backcountry?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,939
    You are going to die.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Beer:30
    Posts
    5,635
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    You are going to die.
    Goddamn it I was going to say that.

    If you paid full price for the skins AND they're still brand new/uncut, sure send 'em back. Functionally they are 100% fine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    2,765
    Cut it off with nailclippers and save yourself a trip to UPS, they are fine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    2,765
    PS Welcome to the world of backcountry skiing. If you're really anal about the condition of your gear, you're going to have to start making some adjustments to your standards when it comes to your touring stuff. Shit happens out in the woods.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,734
    That's patented goat fart technology.

    Makes you faster on the up.

    I'd be more worried about that hair that will mess with your glue and really fuck you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Skiing during your summer
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    PS Welcome to the world of backcountry skiing. If you're really anal about the condition of your gear, you're going to have to start making some adjustments to your standards when it comes to your touring stuff. Shit happens out in the woods.
    This is so true... I just recently learnt this, the hard way of course. Core shotting the relatively new Kastle fx95 trying to get back to the car before dark after it rained and washed our exit route away. It happens!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,372
    I think some of these new super light skins are really nice for the reduced weight but also easily cut
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    5,253
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think some of these new super light skins are really nice for the reduced weight but also easily cut
    Mine definitely seemed to rip ez. Im still on the fence though. My sew job is holding. Maybe if I had avoided one sharp rock I might be issue free for the life of them. Jury is still out. BD glue sticks well, hair traction is good, and the funky tip loop with the string is holding . Only 12-15 days in though. I think those backcountry.com skins are g3 though

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    26,752
    Quote Originally Posted by 206 View Post

    I'm inclined to just shave it off with a razor
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    905
    Multiple rocks hits on Grandpas quality Swiss skins from the 50's gafted onto some Pomoca skins from the 90's...just kept patching them up with shoe goo and good to go for years and years of coastal ski touring shit kickings. They were originally clip on skins but I pulled the clips and added glue.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080016.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	218074
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,372
    My old tennant was telling me he patched a skin with AQS/shoogoo so its been done by more people than you and me

    thats a pretty ghetto job there guido
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,939
    Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Multiple rocks hits on Grandpas quality Swiss skins from the 50's gafted onto some Pomoca skins from the 90's...just kept patching them up with shoe goo and good to go for years and years of coastal ski touring shit kickings. They were originally clip on skins but I pulled the clips and added glue.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080016.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	218074
    You should start a thread that is nothing but gear mods and repairs. You bring impressive stoke in this area.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    5,253

    Climbing skin question

    ^^this. That should be your profile pic. Have to get back to that era of duct taped pants, 8 of missing edges and pieced together gear that just works despite the aesthetics. I like having a rip in every piece of gear I own

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,372
    send it to me and for 25 $ I will put in the most beautiful rip

    you realize you are egging Guido on to post shit about personal drones for skiing, exo skeletons and toilet seats with back rests?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    46
    humbled...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    6,138
    Why??? Just buy new skins. Why keep cobbling together skins from 50 years ago?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    5,253
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    send it to me and for 25 $ I will put in the most beautiful rip

    you realize you are egging Guido on to post shit about personal drones for skiing, exo skeletons and toilet seats with back rests?
    Thanks but Ive proven myself quite capable of ripping most things if not everything. If not it has a bike grease stain
    FKNA to the toilet seat back rest. The older I get the more my life centres around snappin a rope.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    10,482
    Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Multiple rocks hits on Grandpas quality Swiss skins from the 50's gafted onto some Pomoca skins from the 90's...just kept patching them up with shoe goo and good to go for years and years of coastal ski touring shit kickings. They were originally clip on skins but I pulled the clips and added glue.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080016.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	218074
    Friggin things look like real seal skin. Are they? If so that's a cool piece of history.

    Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vernon BC
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Why??? Just buy new skins. Why keep cobbling together skins from 50 years ago?
    Its that kind of attitude that puts our precious earth at risk. you should be ashamed of your consumer driven, wasteful self.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Its that kind of attitude that puts our precious earth at risk. you should be ashamed of your consumer driven, wasteful self.
    Eaxclty. Now fire up the heli!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •