Thread: Socal 2018

Socal 2018

well I'm sitting here waiting for it LOL. Anyone have any missions planned when we get a dump? I'm starting to jones might go to mammoth and ride some corduroy!!!!!

Fun turns on Baldy this last Saturday...on my mountain bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_125728.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	217978

That has to be a hell of a ride. Up from the resort and over the back bone? Same descent?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Fun turns on Baldy this last Saturday...on my mountain bike
    Very nice! How tough was the climb? Had to be 99% pushing on the final pitch.

Sticksplit:

What zones are you jonesing to check out?

I've done a few missions, but can never get that deep deep if you know what I mean.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    That has to be a hell of a ride. Up from the resort and over the back bone? Same descent?
    Up from Manker flat. I have also done it as a loop from the Village. This time we ended in San Antonio Heights, 9700 vert ft of down almost all on trail.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Very nice! How tough was the climb? Had to be 99% pushing on the final pitch.
    More like carry. It is not easy above the notch...I blame living at sea level.

Hmm, so you took the fire road to the Notch instead of the lift? And weren't able to pedal much after the top of 4? I've been itching to try it, thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Hmm, so you took the fire road to the Notch instead of the lift? And weren't able to pedal much after the top of 4? I've been itching to try it, thanks for any advice.
    Correct, no lift and not much riding on the backbone.

Report from someone who hit San G yesterday (not me):

We started at South Fork TH on Jan 27, 2018. Walked in running shoes up to Dry Lake, although last mile was pretty much all on snow. Prior to that long patches of snow on Northern aspects. Started skinning up at Dry Lake, which is all covered in snow. SG slopes looked pretty good from Dry Lake. Lots of snow everywhere. Went up the middle couloir on the NW slope of San Gorgonio. The snow was mostly very hard or just ice. We tried the trees: same thing. Got up to 10,500 ft and turned back. We were running out of time and it was getting very icy. We had ski crampons, but no boot crampons. Ski down the couloir was okay: hard pack bounded on both sides by ice. Later on when we turned into the trees it was pure survival skiing: breakable crust, hard pack, patches of powder, heavy snow, and hard ice all intermixed.

Anyone have experience skinning up Snow summit while the lifts are not running early morning or during night skiing? Parking issues or hassled by the resort? Will be in BB this weekend with the family and likely only get away for a few hours and wanted to try out the new boots.

Don't know if there will be enough coverage, but maybe skin up 2N10 and hang a left to the top of Bear. Then you'd only get hassled on the down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E59D88C-0FFA-46EE-8DEB-A4435E49A85F.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	225938
    Flying over San Gorgonio on Sunday showing the lack of almost any snow pack. Depressing to say the least. Can’t tell if that little white spot in the bottom of the photo is one of the lake arrowhead ski areas? If anyone knows please chime in.

They just got 6-8in yesterday and looks like another 10 this weekend. I would recommend trying to get some pow turns in if you can get away from the family this weekend

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Can’t tell if that little white spot in the bottom of the photo is one of the lake arrowhead ski areas? If anyone knows please chime in.
    It's the gnarly steeps of Snow Valley. The slope at the back is almost never open, but is an easy 400ft skin/boot if covered and you need a fix. You'll likely pass animal carcasses, look out for the local mountain lion.

Parked on Summit blvd next to some other people that just pulled up around 5 am Sunday morning. Stopped to mess with my boot and put skis on near the climbing wall and 2 San Berdo sheriff shined spotlight on me from the snow summit parking lot, I think they said something but I just clipped in and started skinning. I was thinking "Don't tase me bro." Took 2 laps and skiing was surprisingly fun with trace new snow on top of the groomers. Good to be out and awesome sunrise.

Hopefully more storms soon, looking like a bad SoCal snow year.

Pretty shots man.