Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ski Length

Ski Length

I'm relatively new to skiing (3 days in Colorado last winter and 3 days over Thanksgiving in Tahoe), but now that I live near Tahoe I plan on going more often. My friends roped me into getting a pair of skis and I bought some 170cm 2017 Volkl Kendo with Marker Griffons. I weigh 135lbs and am 5'9. When I used the skis over Thanksgiving at Kirkwood they felt heavy as shit and not as maneuverable as I wanted. Am now looking into getting a set of DPS F82 or F95 which I've heard good things about. Would like y'all's thoughts on whether I should cop 168cm or 178cm. I ski fairly aggressively even though it's hard to pick up speed with my weight. Will probably be doing 80/20 on-piste off-piste. What do all y'all think?

Nice try, but I really don't think anyone will bite.

As long as they're red you're good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Where in Tahoe?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

178cm

I'd say F95 in 178 if you feel inclined to get new skis. Have had Cassiar 95's as my carver for years, they can also handle shallow snow like a boss. A friend of mine has been a Kendo guy forever and I hear latest version is solid. Perhaps let your ability and leg strength build and stay pat. Are you an adult - do you expect to grow?

Six days in and you're buying DPS.

Oh dear.......

Edit: Are you putting tech binders on them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Oh dear.......

You know he is.

Quote Originally Posted by torn_acl View Post
    I weigh 135lbs and am 5'9.
    Those are female dementions. If you are indeed a woman, then you must realize the affect of gravatation pull on your breasts and how that consideration ought to guild you ski selection. If you really want sage advice, post a few pictures of your breasts, and we'll be happy to give you our expert opinions.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Y'all scrubs... I'm a male. And an adult. Not everyone grows to be 6ft... Want something more carvy than the kendo. That's why I was thinking f82. But y'all like it thicc...

Finna ski asap

The Kendos are a fine ski. But they're an expert ski, and you're a beginner. You need to buy something easy going with a soft flex. The DPS skis you're looking at are not beginner skis. Neither were my speedzones you were asking about.

I'd recommend something from Rossignol or Atomic specifically sold as a beginner ski. Or commit to the Kendo and take some ski lessons. You either need to learn to bend a ski or get a ski that will easily bend for you.

Nothing wrong with being small and light. Many pro skiers aren't large people.

My advice: get a beginner ski that encourages good technique while you build strength and technique. Take a private lesson (or several) with the best instructor you can find, and buy whatever they suggest to start. Also, start lifting for leg and core strength, if you aren't already. Squats (back, front, overhead, RFESS), weighted lunges, jumping lunges, deadlift, etc, are all great exercises that will transfer to skiing. As you progress, you can add more dynamic stuff (oly lifts, plyometrics, etc), if you want.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I don't think you should buy new skis. I don't want to come off as pretentious but you should seriously consider getting ski lessons. There is no shame in that and it usually results in huge gains, especially for someone so new to skiing. 170cm is pretty short and that ski has tip and tail rocker making it effectively even shorter. It is definitely not a light ski but that shouldn't matter much for alpine skiing if you are doing it right. Maybe consider renting or demoing if you are convinced that you want new skis.

Also what the hell does "Finna ski asap" mean? Is that some kind of signature?
    Last edited by V-rex; 12-01-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Finna ski asap

Y'all scrubs... I'm a male. And an adult. Not everyone grows to be 6ft... Want something more carvy than the kendo. That's why I was thinking f82. But y'all like it thicc...

Finna ski asap
    People are referring to your feminine weight, not height. Anyhoo.

Take the advice that pretty much everyone has given you and find a beginner style ski. It will be softer flexing and less torsionally stiff as to allow easy turn initiation and bending of the ski into an arc. Maybe demo a few and get some lessons while you're at it. It will greatly lesson the learning curve.

Also as others have mentioned, skiing is a physical sport and being strong and fit will pay huge dividends.

Here's the deal. You came to TGR and where longer = better. And red is best

However, as a new adult lightweight skier; you've been given some good advice in here. First off, take some ski lessons. Second, spend your money on boots(professional bootfitting) not skis like the gear whores in here(myself included). Third, if you would like a more accessible pair of skis look for a pair without metal(I actually think 170 is a decent length for you in most skis as a beginner).

Are you in north lake? If so, I recommend the following resources: SierraJim @ BlueZone in Truckee for skis. Bootfitting: Starthaus, Cosmo, and Bud Heishman in Reno.

Short skis suck, long skis truck!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So I'm not exactly lacking in the strength department. I skwat twice my weight and DL 2.5x. doesn't mean I don't think the skis aren't heavy tho. Was looking for a ski that can help me advance. I was doing blacks like my second day skiing fairly confidently and believe I'm not exactly a beginner anymore. DPS foundation series are marketed toward intermediates through advanced no?

Finna ski asap

Oh dear.......

Tryna put some pivot 12 or 14

Finna ski asap

believe I'm not exactly a beginner anymore.
    If you'd played chess, golf, tennis or ..... had sex only six times in your life you'd still be a beginner.

Same applies to skiing.

If you'd played chess, golf, tennis or ..... had sex only six times in your life you'd still be a beginner.

Same applies to skiing.
    Lol ok I'm a beginner then. What should I get? Just ball out and stick with the Kendo?

Finna ski asap

Lol ok I'm a beginner then. What should I get?
    Lessons.

More time on snow.

It's really not about what kind of skis you use despite what people will have you believe. The ones you have already aren't holding you back.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    You know he is.
    Depends how hard he's going to "charge" in the back country. Maybe he should just go with the CAST system?

Name:  LBs.png
Views: 907
Size:  631.4 KB

And an adult.
    Finna ski asap
    So I'm not exactly lacking in the strength department. I skwat twice my weight and DL 2.5x. doesn't mean I don't think the skis aren't heavy tho. Was looking for a ski that can help me advance. I was doing blacks like my second day skiing fairly confidently and believe I'm not exactly a beginner anymore. DPS foundation series are marketed toward intermediates through advanced no?

Finna ski asap
    Tryna put some pivot 12 or 14

Finna ski asap
    You're posts make you sounds as though you're a 14yo boy, not an " adult" as you think.
    You have been outed as the troll that you are.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You're posts make you sounds as though you're a 14yo boy, not an " adult" as you think.
    Lol, this.

... believe what you want to believe. I'm 22... And actually just trying to find a ski that I can ski more efficiently while keeping up some speed.

Finna ski asap