Pike air chamber scratched - WWMD?

I brought my '15 Ibis Ripley in to Dirt Labs for fork and shock service today. Got a call this evening telling me that the inside of the air chamber in my Pike is scratched, which may be causing air leakage and suction problems (or may not... it hasn't been riding as plush as usual for the last few months but I don't know if this is what caused it). My options are (a) just finish the regular shock service and see if it's improved for $150 with no warranty (i.e. if the scratches are causing the problem, then I'm out the $150), (b) replace the entire CSU assembly for $350 plus the $150 for the service which will come with a warranty and should definitely fix the problem, or (c) upgrade to a Fox 36 for around $850 total.

What would you do? It's kind of a shock (no pun intended) to go from $150 cost to $500 or even $850. But I do want a working fork on the bike, of course.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Pike air chamber scratched - WWMD?

Kind of nuts that I dropped off my wife’s Boxxer with them yesterday. Scratched upper that I didn’t want to replace (already replaced about a year ago when she scratched it before).
    Get a call a couple hours after dropping it off. They say it’s actually dented on the inside and will probably fuck up the seals if I don’t replace it. $180 on top of the $150 service. FML.
    Doesn’t seem scammy though, since I doubt they’ll make extra money on it. Just shitty.

Re, your Pike: I’d say run it with the $150 service. I bet it’ll do just fine. The $500 option sounds like a lot to spend on a Pike.
    Kind of sucks that DirtLabs upgrade price for the Float 36 is more than what you can buy it for at Jenson.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-36-Floa...CABEgK10vD_BwE
    However many are in a shit ton.

If the scratched portion of the air chamber isn't too hard to access, maybe you can ask if they can try to smooth the scratch the same way they'd do if the outside of one of the stanchions was scratched. Otherwise I'd either take the chance that it'll be a minor or non-issue and just go ahead with the $150 service you had planned, OR just skip the service, sell the fork as-is to someone who can live with it and replace with the 36 or whatever else floats your boat. I don't think paying the $350 for the CSU is worth it. You can get a whole 'nother used fork for $500. Or a new fork for $500 if you're not set on a Fox 36.

You could look at doing a coil conversion. Those aren't too expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just bought a new pike for $595, so don't spend $500 on your old one:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=74707

Are you on the Front Range Velo Swap group on Facebook? There are a few 29'er Pikes for sale on there for under $500.... I wouldn't spend $850 on a new Fox for a Ripley.

Thanks all. That's where I came out as well. Gonna have them finish the regular $150 service and see how it does. They said the scratch is not too bad and is pretty far down in the travel, so it may not be an issue. If it turns out to be an issue, I'll check out new forks. Appreciate the input!
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey